How long will Gordon last?

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sh-gordon-issues-first-statement-since-return

"Before the 2019 season starts, I would like to address an issue that arose toward the end of last season," Gordon wrote. "It's been well documented that I have battled substance abuse for quite some time. Unfortunately, I did not take the time to focus on a solution to my problem until this past year. I am eternally grateful for the constant support from the NFL, NFLPA and the Patriots organization. I also want to thank my family, friend and all the fans who supported me while I addressed this issue.

"Going forward, I will not be discussing the details of my past. I plan to focus on the present and getting better every day. I hope people will judge me on what I do now and in the future. I look forward to being a member of the Patriots once again this season and doing my part by contributing on and off the field"

Good for him and I don't think there's anyone on here who isn't rooting for him to succeed and stay healthy, as a football player but more importantly as a person. However, I consider it a HUGE red flag that he considers this all to be in his past. The past tense "[those] who supported me while I addressed this issue". If as he says this past year is the first time he's legitimately tried to get clean, then I understand the perspective, but for an addict that's a dangerous one to have. 'I'm all better now, that's all in the past, I can have a social drink or two' can derail a recovery faster and more insidiously than any external forces ever could.

If this is his first 'for realsies this time' serious effort to get clean, then I'm not sure he realizes how hard it can be, and given his history, I'm not convinced he makes it all 16 games. I hope and pray I'm wrong. Obviously none of us can know, we can only see what each week has in store, but what are your thoughts? Does he make it through the season? If he does, how about next season? If he messes up again, does he get another chance, or is this the last one? Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sh-gordon-issues-first-statement-since-return

"Before the 2019 season starts, I would like to address an issue that arose toward the end of last season," Gordon wrote. "It's been well documented that I have battled substance abuse for quite some time. Unfortunately, I did not take the time to focus on a solution to my problem until this past year. I am eternally grateful for the constant support from the NFL, NFLPA and the Patriots organization. I also want to thank my family, friend and all the fans who supported me while I addressed this issue.

"Going forward, I will not be discussing the details of my past. I plan to focus on the present and getting better every day. I hope people will judge me on what I do now and in the future. I look forward to being a member of the Patriots once again this season and doing my part by contributing on and off the field"

Good for him and I don't think there's anyone on here who isn't rooting for him to succeed and stay healthy, as a football player but more importantly as a person. However, I consider it a HUGE red flag that he considers this all to be in his past. The past tense "[those] who supported me while I addressed this issue". If as he says this past year is the first time he's legitimately tried to get clean, then I understand the perspective, but for an addict that's a dangerous one to have. 'I'm all better now, that's all in the past, I can have a social drink or two' can derail a recovery faster and more insidiously than any external forces ever could.

If this is his first 'for realsies this time' serious effort to get clean, then I'm not sure he realizes how hard it can be, and given his history, I'm not convinced he makes it all 16 games. I hope and pray I'm wrong. Obviously none of us can know, we can only see what each week has in store, but what are your thoughts? Does he make it through the season? If he does, how about next season? If he messes up again, does he get another chance, or is this the last one? Thoughts?

Speaking from experience, alcoholics and addicts live by "we will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."

The focus for recovering alcoholics is on today. We make our amends for all the shit we did in the past and try daily to acknowledge our shortcomings and make a daily amends.

I am rooting hard for Gordon as I have battled some of the same demons that he has battled.

I would not have caught that. Interesting and perceptive take on the whole situation. He does admit to the problem at least. Hopefully he is legitimately surrounded by people who can and will help him with this lifelong struggle.

:cool:Speaking from my experience.. certain addictions are easier to evolve from than others. I remember when I quit smoking.. I said to myself do I want to be an athlete or fighting fatigue and breathing hard ? It was a time when I had the opportunity to reflect and not be just reacting to situations. I also snorted coke during my 20s which was high quality so I experienced the extreme high and then the aftermath late nights and hangovers. Trying to sleep while the birds were chirping àt sunrise wasn't fun. So the desire kinda went away when the reality was processed. Been there dun that.

So I'm hoping Gordon first sees clearly what he wants in front of him. To be top athlete in winning organization. The choice could not be more clear at this point.

Second , the reward from the high is no longer as compelling. Been there done that. Moving on.

Third is alternative training methods that might help him feel better and not seek self medication. This is tb12 at it's most relevant moment. Helping a teammate cope with the rigors of NFL week to week issues.

There's your 3 point recipe for positive outcome. Which I called for last year based on Belichick being outside the box thinker who could process Gordon's issues . Almost ... But he didn't give up. Cool. ;):thumb:

I don't know if he'll make it, but I'm definitely rooting for him. Not for football reasons, but because he seems like a good kid who is dealing with a tough situation. My wife works with addicts and she says that her clients are watching him and hoping he makes it because it can provide a boost for them as well.

Outside of Brady I think I root for Gordon as a player more than anyone in the nfl. I’ve certainly had my share of problems. Physical activity/nature is about the only way out in my experience.

I sincerely hope he makes it all the way.... but I can't say I'd be surprised if he relapses.

Thoughts?
I think the past is over. You don't want to forget what happened so you will know what to do/not do today, but there is nothing to be gained by thinking about it, dwelling on what happened, what you did and didn't do, should have done, shouldn't have done. We really only have today, this moment, and if he's not drinking or smoking now, then he isn't this day. Sort of the same with the future. Tanguay, Holley, and the nice folks at comcastsports even polled each other with an over/number of games they expected him to play before he relapses, and will he get another chance if he gets suspended again.

It's questions like those that his statement is intended to deflect. It's tough enough for an addict to go a day without a drink/drug without hearing constant reminders of what he did, and does he think he can make it this time. I quit drinking and smoking with help from supportive friends and family. It was hard and unlike Gordon, I didn't have half the people in New England doubting I could make it. I don't envy him a bit.

But i think this statement is pure Belichick. Give out a meaningless statement, then just keep repeating, "I already covered this and have nothing more to say." I also wouldn't spend too much time analyzing his statement word by word. It could be that he wanted to thank the NFL, NFLPA, and the Pats for supporting his getting back into football, but more likely Stacey James wrote the statement for for him.

:cool:Speaking from my experience.. certain addictions are easier to evolve from than others. I remember when I quit smoking.. I said to myself do I want to be an athlete or fighting fatigue and breathing hard ? It was a time when I had the opportunity to reflect and not be just reacting to situations. I also snorted coke during my 20s which was high quality so I experienced the extreme high and then the aftermath late nights and hangovers. Trying to sleep while the birds were chirping àt sunrise wasn't fun. So the desire kinda went away when the reality was processed. Been there dun that.

So I'm hoping Gordon first sees clearly what he wants in front of him.
You were one of the lucky ones, to be able to understand that this life wasn't what you wanted and act on that knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that Gordon knew what he wanted but it didn't matter. That's how it is with addicts. No person wants to ruin their lives, trash all their relationships, lose their money and then their jobs and then everything they own, but nothing matters except the drug. Only when life is so bad, so horrible, that they realize they can't go on this way, is change possible. The lucky ones wake up in their living room covered in their own urine and vomit, get arrested, lose something/someone dear to them, or get divorced because your wife doesn't want to raise her child with you, the kid's father, in the house. They have a chance to bust out of their addiction. The rest die or might as well be dead.

I think the past is over. You don't want to forget what happened so you will know what to do/not do today, but there is nothing to be gained by thinking about it, dwelling on what happened, what you did and didn't do, should have done, shouldn't have done. We really only have today, this moment, and if he's not drinking or smoking now, then he isn't this day. Sort of the same with the future. Tanguay, Holley, and the nice folks at comcastsports even polled each other with an over/number of games they expected him to play before he relapses, and will he get another chance if he gets suspended again.

It's questions like those that his statement is intended to deflect. It's tough enough for an addict to go a day without a drink/drug without hearing constant reminders of what he did, and does he think he can make it this time. I quit drinking and smoking with help from supportive friends and family. It was hard and unlike Gordon, I didn't have half the people in New England doubting I could make it. I don't envy him a bit.

But i think this statement is pure Belichick. Give out a meaningless statement, then just keep repeating, "I already covered this and have nothing more to say." I also wouldn't spend too much time analyzing his statement word by word. It could be that he wanted to thank the NFL, NFLPA, and the Pats for supporting his getting back into football, but more likely Stacey James wrote the statement for for him.

Agree.. it's about looking forward to what he wants now. Past is over and doesn't mean shiyt.. just like Belichick would say. It's about this Sunday and how we prepare and play better Sunday night.

This becomes a metaphor for life. Identify a short term goal that supercedes the knee jerk jackass in your head that is twisting you sideways. Josh is right on top of it now...

You were one of the lucky ones, to be able to understand that this life wasn't what you wanted and act on that knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that Gordon knew what he wanted but it didn't matter. That's how it is with addicts. No person wants to ruin their lives, trash all their relationships, lose their money and then their jobs and then everything they own, but nothing matters except the drug. Only when life is so bad, so horrible, that they realize they can't go on this way, is change possible. The lucky ones wake up in their living room covered in their own urine and vomit, get arrested, lose something/someone dear to them, or get divorced because your wife doesn't want to raise her child with you, the kid's father, in the house. They have a chance to bust out of their addiction. The rest die or might as well be dead.

The reason Josh is different than those addicts, is the athlete inside him that defines him. When young you fool around with getting high and you can still perform because you are gifted.. but as you get more experienced you learn more that you are damaging the very core of who you are. Josh is getting this now. The other hurdle was getting past the NFL which is entirely as challenging. Roger Goodell:BS:

Back