If Joe Thomas fired back at a person who shot his roomate = hero

This is a pretty good point by Danny.

Sometimes sports fans get sick and tired of millionaires or soon-to-be millionaires who can't seem to stay out of trouble and we get a little short of patience and tend to paint people with the same brush. Maybe if it was Joe Thomas I wouldn't have said a thing and it is a form of prejudice on my part.

I'm going to try and be careful not to stereotype when they kinds of incidents occur. That's all I can do.

Hawg73 on 05-01-2007 at 10:37 AM said:
This is a pretty good point by Danny.

Sometimes sports fans get sick and tired of millionaires or soon-to-be millionaires who can't seem to stay out of trouble and we get a little short of patience and tend to paint people with the same brush. Maybe if it was Joe Thomas I wouldn't have said a thing and it is a form of prejudice on my part.

I'm going to try and be careful not to stereotype when they kinds of incidents occur. That's all I can do.

Hey guns when I said "gun charge" I meant that is what all the media is saying say about Brandon, when he has NO GUN CHARGE. They leave out all the facts to pus there agenda.

It cannot be ignored the media tends to call black men with legal firearms "thugs" yet white country boys can own one no problem.

Danny88 on 05-01-2007 at 10:59 AM said:
It cannot be ignored the media tends to call black men with legal firearms "thugs" yet white country boys can own one no problem.

Who called Brandon Meriweather a thug?

Re: If Joe thomas used legal handgun to protect himeself / roomate he would = hero

Danny88 on 05-01-2007 at 01:32 AM said:
Like I said, If Joe Thomas used his legal handgun to return fire against a perp who just shot his roommate he would be hailed as a hero who attempted to save his roommate's life. Funny how that works. I doubt anyone would scream "character issue's" if country boy Joe Thomas had a gun. Odds are he does, according to media clowns like dr z that would make him insane/criminal/serial killer.
It seems like the only place that is working is in your head. How in the heck did Joe Thomas get brought into this? It seems like you're stereotyping not only Mr. Thomas, but the rest of society's theoretical reaction as well.

Hawg73 on 05-01-2007 at 11:34 AM said:
Who called Brandon Meriweather a thug?

Many writers.... Jackie Macmullen on around the horn... etc etc

well, that's your first problem....Don't watch Around the Horn, PTI...any of those shows...They have an aganda that is there own, and from what I've seen is often bashing the Pats

<<
but the video I posted earlier shows No.24 of FIU kicking No.14 of Miami in the head while he was down. Meriweather came onto the scene shortly after with his attempted Field Goals
>>

Ah I am the victim of typical crap sock puppet work. They video I saw began with Merriweather jumping in and none of what came before that. Should have thought to look on youtube or here for something more complete.

BY - I'm not sure where you were going with your response but last night I was thinking the samething that Danny stated.

I feel I've been conditioned to have different feelings towards different races or nationalities. I had similiar feelings after the VT shootings - for some reason I was curious as the race/nationality of the shooter - as if it made some difference.

It shouldn't make a difference but still the thought process is there.

I agree with Danny that if Merriweather's situation had happened to someone like Joe Thomas up in Madison, Wis as opposed to an Afro-American in Miami the media spin would have been totally different.

I think, taken by itself, using the gun to defend yourself and your teammate is commendable. But it's the stomping incident that I'm more worried about. It shows a short temper and lack of self control. Add a gun into that equation, and you have to ask the question, "it was self defense this time, but what if some of his friends/teammates get into a fight while he has that gun on him?"

FU TOM on 05-01-2007 at 01:11 PM said:
BY - I'm not sure where you were going with your response but last night I was thinking the samething that Danny stated.

I feel I've been conditioned to have different feelings towards different races or nationalities. I had similiar feelings after the VT shootings - for some reason I was curious as the race/nationality of the shooter - as if it made some difference.

It shouldn't make a difference but still the thought process is there.

I agree with Danny that if Merriweather's situation had happened to someone like Joe Thomas up in Madison, Wis as opposed to an Afro-American in Miami the media spin would have been totally different.
The sad thing is that I tend to agree with you and Danny, to some extent. I just didn't care for the way D88 set up his argument.

To the best of my knowledge Joe Thomas isn't involved in any similar handgun issue, so why bring him into it? He just made up a scenario involving Mr. Thomas and then told us what the public reaction would be in order to, if not validate, then at least explain his frustration with the Merriweather handgun incident. Never mind the fact that he insulted Mr. Thomas and then accused him of something for which he has no evidence to support. Had he posed a question like, "Would the media cover a similar story if it involved a white player from a Midwestern school the same way it handled the Brandon Merriweather story?" I would have taken it more seriously than I did his original post.

harrisonhits on 05-01-2007 at 08:48 AM said:

...The issue is that apparently the shooting occurred at 5 or 6 in the morning in a bad part of town that people generally don't go to at 5am unless they are purchasing or doing illicit things. ...

Even in a "bad part of town" the majority of people are NOT there for illicit purposes. People....mostly poor, many of them minorities... LIVE in these parts of town. At 5 or 6 in the morning, I would bet that most of the people on the street are either going to their job, or returning home from working the night shift.

He did nothing wrong, just accept it. You want to beef about the fight???? Thats fine and that was a mistake. The gun issue is a none issue. It has been stated by the miami police Meriweather was defending his roommate's life. The gun was legal, end of story. If you don't like guns, rally against the constitution.

Back