If NE 3peats, does BB think about retirement?

GOD

Reaction score
If NE 3peats, that will put Belichick's post season record at 14-1. It took someone what, 38 years to beat Lombardi's 9-1 mark? And think of all the team records that have been broken during his tenure here. If they 3peat, how much more does he have to prove? I think it's only natural to want to go out on top, not everyone does it - but I could see BB doing it. And I see it being a roundhouse kick out of nowhere to our collective heads. You know that not a single soul in NE will see it coming, because noone will know about it. That's BB's style. It shows in his schemes, play calling, drafting, injury reports, burrying his father, etc - you name it. Maybe he decides to take a break, enjoy life - fulltime, if we win this year. There really wouldn't be much more he could do to prove he owns the league and much of it's history.

Point is, at some point, he's going to leave. Does a 3peat & 4 out of 5 maybe make this come sooner than later?

Or is Belichick just soooo obsessed with the game, that he will coach forever?

ps ....

pp_BB.gif

Hope it's ok to play with these avatars like I have been ... :confused:

GOD said:
ps ....

pp_BB.gif

Hope it's ok to play with these avatars like I have been ... :confused:
well GOD, you are the creator of the Universe so messing with a little avatar is no biggie, however using the Internet to show your handiwork has to be cleared thru Al Gore :thumb:

P.S. 3-peat or not, I think Bill stays for another few years here in the head coaching capacity. after that, it would not surprise me if he either establishes a coaching academy or maybe takes over the program at Navy.

lol, yeah I was reading about that. I keep running to the window and peeking through the blinds after every post, how much more can I live like this? :rolleyes:

Why is BB "leaving"?

Why is it so hard for you and other fans to envision BB being a part of the Patriot organization for the rest of his working career? Why wouldn't Bill Belichick become an executive at the highest level and oversee Bob Kraft's football investment for the next twenty years? Who better to keep the Patriot traditon and "Patriot Way" in place and moving forward than the ARCHITECT himself? Why would Bob Kraft ever consider watching the greatest coach in NFL history just walk away from the masterpiece he's built from the ground up?

I think you're still paranoid from the Parcells debacle...Bill Belichick is NOT Bill Parcells....Bill Belichick WANTED to come to Foxboro.Bill Belichick walked away from the head coaching position of a team already built to win to take over a mockery of a shambles left by Pete the Cleaner. And was mocked and derided for doing so from EVERY single angle and YET...he came HERE....and built the known football universe in five short years.

Bill Belichick has SEEN the other side of the mountain...he's right where he wants to be and right where he BELONGS.

Joker said:
Why is BB "leaving"?

Why is it so hard for you and other fans to envision BB being a part of the Patriot organization for the rest of his working career? Why wouldn't Bill Belichick become an executive at the highest level and oversee Bob Kraft's football investment for the next twenty years? Who better to keep the Patriot traditon and "Patriot Way" in place and moving forward than the ARCHITECT himself? Why would Bob Kraft ever consider watching the greatest coach in NFL history just walk away from the masterpiece he's built from the ground up?

It's simple, Joker. Just add "not" after all your "why"s and there's your answer. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, it's a legitimate topic to discuss.

Joker said:
I think you're still paranoid from the Parcells debacle...Bill Belichick is NOT Bill Parcells....Bill Belichick WANTED to come to Foxboro.Bill Belichick walked away from the head coaching position of a team already built to win to take over a mockery of a shambles left by Pete the Cleaner. And was mocked and derided for doing so from EVERY single angle and YET...he came HERE....and built the known football universe in five short years.

No paranoia. Just discussion. Why did Walsh walk away? Why did Gibbs walk away? Why did Phil Jackson walk away? It happens Joker.

Joker said:
Bill Belichick has SEEN the other side of the mountain...he's right where he wants to be and right where he BELONGS.

And maybe right where he wants to finish? On the top of that mountain?

In starting this thread, I myself don't know what to think. Part of me thinks he would die without football, but another part of me knows about those "quiet types".

So keep in mind, I am not saying that I think BB is leaving. We have seen a good handful of coaches in all sports walk away from the dynastys they have built.

Maybe this is just a sore subject, but I think it's fun sometimes to talk about forbidden things.

Simple answer to your question: Nope.

But then, you ought to know that, being the supreme being and all.

Well God...this may be blasphemy...but Bill Belichick IS God. I've read it and seen it in print so it must be true>) :fire: :toast: :dance:

It's a legitimate question I suppose but I have seen no indication from BB that he's considering retirement or that the competitive juices are not flowing as deep as they always have.

One thing that's great about BB is he doesn't have this "savior" mentality that Parcells has had throughout his coaching career.

I'm not sure what Parcells legacy will be considering he hasn't won anything without Bill Belichick by his side. But BB has established his legacy here in NE and within the NFL. Why wouldn't he want to continue that here?

By all accounts, he has a fantastic relationship with the Kraft family. And he has a good working relationship with most of the local media which he obviously didn't have in Cleveland.

I just can't find too many reasons to be concerned about him leaving other than the fact that we all know the ride can't last forever. But I know I'm going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts and hopefully the ride goes through Detroit and beyond.

Joker said:
Well God...this may be blasphemy...but Bill Belichick IS God. I've read it and seen it in print so it must be true>) :fire: :toast: :dance:

I told my buddy at the game Saturday night that it was pretty good having God on the sidelines and JC standing under center. Sorry in advance if that offends any religious people out there but the stars definitely aligned when these two got together down in Foxboro.

PatsFanDan said:
It's a legitimate question I suppose but I have seen no indication from BB that he's considering retirement or that the competitive juices are not flowing as deep as they always have.

One thing that's great about BB is he doesn't have this "savior" mentality that Parcells has had throughout his coaching career.

I'm not sure what Parcells legacy will be considering he hasn't won anything without Bill Belichick by his side. But BB has established his legacy here in NE and within the NFL. Why wouldn't he want to continue that here?

By all accounts, he has a fantastic relationship with the Kraft family. And he has a good working relationship with most of the local media which he obviously didn't have in Cleveland.

I just can't find too many reasons to be concerned about him leaving other than the fact that we all know the ride can't last forever. But I know I'm going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts and hopefully the ride goes through Detroit and beyond.

I think I feel the same way you do. I don't think he's leaving anytime soon, but as far as seeing any indications, do you honestly believe BB will give "indications" when that time does inevitably come?

If they win another one, BB opts out of his contract and goes to coach the Texans for $9,000,000 a year. That's what Peter King told me earlier today.

Hey, when I dominate my roomate season after season in Madden with a dynasty I built, I can't help but get bored and wanting to take over a new team that needs a makeover. You gotta keep finding your challenges somewhere before you win yourself to sleep. I can't be the only one!

maaaan... I played Madden 2005 last year (still haven't played 06... haven't really felt a desire to for some reason), and after my Pats won the Super Bowl on All-Pro in my first season of "dynasty" mode, Belichick retired.

RELEVANCE FACTOR: ummmm... sorry, my scale is broken.

As for comparing Belichick to Parcells- why not stick around? A lot of people this year doubted whether BB could pull it off without Charlie and Romeo. If he could do it this year, and then sustain excellence a little longer while grooming his successor, then f'ing a, I'd do it too.

I don't think he's going to retire for quite some time unless he develops health problems and can't do it anymore. Coaching is who he is. Why would he stop?
For every legend who retires at their peak just as many continue for as long as they can because they just love coaching (Landry, Noll, Paterno, Paul Brown, etc.). I would assume Belichick is in the latter category.

He won't retire until Mangini is ready to take his place.

Hmm ... IF we manage to 3-peat, then there would be the Quad! Then the Cinquo ...

No, he doesn't retire w/in the next 2 or 3 years. I think he will eventually move into a real GM position with the Pats & turn the team over to Mangini.

My .02 ...

#54 said:
He won't retire until Mangini is ready to take his place.
are the Jets trying to push that envelope, I think Dante is asst. head coach so that title is gone. Could this force a Gregg Williams contract with the Pats and Mangini

To answer the question, I think you have to ask yourself what BB likes above all else.

One decent guess might be: competition.

He likes to compete and win. To overcome and use the talents he has accumulated over a lifetime to simply win every game he can and hopefully win another Championship. He never checks his rearview mirror. He is a zen-master.

Now, if he was running roughshod over the league every year and it was a cakewalk I could maybe see him looking for a new challenge but, realistically, every season brings a new series of challenges to overcome that take everything he and his team can muster to simply be able to compete for a championship.

I think that, inadvertantly, the salary cap and the way the league is set up prevents any kind of "boredom" from entering into the equation.

I think he stays here and tries to climb the mountain again because that is what he does best.

It is absolutely the perfect position for a guy like him, IMO. I'd be shocked if he skipped town.

Hawg, that post says it perfectly.

BB, as it has been mentioned, is not the Tuna. He is not the restless type who needs his new challenges always somewhere else. I'd say his challenges are right here every year:

2000: Cleaning up the mess left by his predecessors (not just Carroll but Grier as well).

2001: Bringing a 'no-name' team to the Super Bowl while fending off the media jackals (insert picture of Borges here) about the QB controversy, and coming up with a brilliant game plan against the Rams to win the whole thing!

2002: Struggling with Super Bowl hangover. Misses playoffs by 3rd tie-breaker after up-and-down season.

2003: Terrible start, injuries pile up, Super Bowl season again.

2004: Injuries, injuries. Secondary so decimated uses Troy Brown as a DB. Wins Super Bowl again.

2005: Both excellent coordinators gone. Injuries so ridiculous it looks like Tom Brady and the jayvee squad out there during the most brutal stretch of games in NFL history. By sheer grit (and the luck of a lousy division) make the playoffs. To be continued...

2006---? Can he stock enough DBs this season? Can they win another Super Bowl (May have the 3peat done)? If healthy with Tom as QB, can they go 16-0? Can other Super Bowls be won with a turnover of personnel? Will we lose Seymour, bring along young linebackers, etc.?

Plenty of challenges left! :)

Besides, BB loves it here in New England. His personality fits with the dry wit and stoic demeanor, right? :D

Back