In Celebration Of Bill Belichick, Mac Jones and the NE Patriots

I was watching the NFL Films 'Do Your Job Well" about the Patriots' 2014 season, and it again cements the genius of Bill.

From the Ravens AFCCG and the trick plays with the ineligible receivers plays and Harbaugh crying on the sideline to the officials and the brilliance of the lateral to Edelman and the throw for the TD. That was down to his genius and hard work, just scouring film and seeing the Titans doing something similar and an Alabama game v LSU game where Saban confused the LSU D. And then the practice practice practice.

And then the SB. The way they called up the play where Tom throws to Jules for his TD, which they literally came up with in the ballroom the night before in the walk-through, to the way they defended that last Seahawk play and Butler's INT. Again, a play they had worked on in practice.

And in the lead up to that, there's Bill standing alone on the sideline...his AC's are screaming in his ear about the timeout, 'Take the Timeout' they screamed....and there's Bill as calm as still water watching Carroll, and the Hawk sideline get confused, he thought to himself he's not going to help them with a T/O, and he calmly replies on the headset, "Nah, I got it", and that was it when everyone around you is losing their head....as the saying goes.

I was watching the NFL Films 'Do Your Job Well" about the Patriots' 2014 season, and it again cements the genius of Bill.

From the Ravens AFCCG and the trick plays with the ineligible receivers plays and Harbaugh crying on the sideline to the officials and the brilliance of the lateral to Edelman and the throw for the TD. That was down to his genius and hard work, just scouring film and seeing the Titans doing something similar and an Alabama game v LSU game where Saban confused the LSU D. And then the practice practice practice.

And then the SB. The way they called up the play where Tom throws to Jules for his TD, which they literally came up with in the ballroom the night before in the walk-through, to the way they defended that last Seahawk play and Butler's INT. Again, a play they had worked on in practice.

And in the lead up to that, there's Bill standing alone on the sideline...his AC's are screaming in his ear about the timeout, 'Take the Timeout' they screamed....and there's Bill as calm as still water watching Carroll, and the Hawk sideline get confused, he thought to himself he's not going to help them with a T/O, and he calmly replies on the headset, "Nah, I got it", and that was it when everyone around you is losing their head....as the saying goes.

Greatest swing play in superbowl history. Off a play identified by Ernie and practiced. And BB with the balls to not call TO. And the corners with the awareness to know exactly how to play the WR pick. Epic.

Greatest swing play in superbowl history. Off a play identified by Ernie and practiced. And BB with the balls to not call TO. And the corners with the awareness to know exactly how to play the WR pick. Epic.

What was fascinating was Butler didn't do it in practice. He went on the outside of Browner and allowed the TD. he learned, and the coaches did so when the time came, he went on Browner's inside after Browner jammed his man and pounced. Just brilliant coaching.

What I still cannot understand is how Hightower stopped Lynch on the play before. If you look ay that in slow motion, it seems an absolute certainty Lynch was going to score. He had a wide-open lane, but somehow High got to him right before the line. Combine that with the turning point in the Falcons SB, the strip sack by High and the turnover. Hightower was a monster in the playoffs.

I don't understand the praise for Bill Belichick. According to one poster here he was just a bystander through the SB runs. It was all Tom Brady. The Butler interception, Brady was responsible for that. The Hightower strip sack on Matt Ryan and the sack to take them out of FG range, Brady was responsible for that. Even Ty Laws pick of Warner in SB 36, Brady was responsible for that.
It's not enough that Tom was a great QB, the best ever, and he was a big reason for all the success during that 20 year run. According to that poster he was the sole reason. Now that Tom has left and has gone for 3 seasons, the wins and loss record between Tom and Bill are shown as proof that Bill was just a bystander.🙄

What was fascinating was Butler didn't do it in practice. He went on the outside of Browner and allowed the TD. he learned, and the coaches did so when the time came, he went on Browner's inside after Browner jammed his man and pounced. Just brilliant coaching.

What I still cannot understand is how Hightower stopped Lynch on the play before. If you look ay that in slow motion, it seems an absolute certainty Lynch was going to score. He had a wide-open lane, but somehow High got to him right before the line. Combine that with the turning point in the Falcons SB, the strip sack by High and the turnover. Hightower was a monster in the playoffs.
I think about these things all the time. A career is a mysterious thing. Ups and downs and in between.

But moments (like those for Butler and HT, they can never be taken away. They are moments in time that are forever.

Cheers

Yes it was all Browner who remembered and set a strong pick for Butler

I love Dante Hightower. So overlooked. I think as time goes by I might be a strong advocate for Hightower and McCourty to push into the HOF the same way I think Rodney should be in there.

Hightower won a college championship and 3 NFL championships. A winner. One of BB’s best linebackers ever and that’s saying something across some great Giants, Jets, Browns, and Patriot defenses BB coached.

Agree Hightower made a superhuman play to get off a pro bowl left tackle and then make a one handed tackle against Marshawn freaking Lynch at the 1 yard line. Unsung play right before the Malcolm INT

I love Dante Hightower. So overlooked. I think as time goes by I might be a strong advocate for Hightower and McCourty to push into the HOF the same way I think Rodney should be in there.

Hightower won a college championship and 3 NFL championships. A winner. One of BB’s best linebackers ever and that’s saying something across some great Giants, Jets, Browns, and Patriot defenses BB coached.

Agree Hightower made a superhuman play to get off a pro bowl left tackle and then make a one handed tackle against Marshawn freaking Lynch at the 1 yard line. Unsung play right before the Malcolm INT

Nice post, DKF.

Now do it again.

Back