In Celebration Of Bill Belichick, Mac Jones and the NE Patriots

Very good article about BB and his remembrances of the Bears locker room when Halas was the coach.
Input from Andy Reid as well. Shula is only mentioned in the intro. (should have left him out entirely)
by Mike Reiss.

That's good of Andy Reid to say.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Andy Reid is on the other end of the telephone, sharing thoughts on Bill Belichick. His perspective is one few can provide.

"We probably downplay how you have to operate as a head coach in this league, especially us older ones. We don't talk much about it," he says.

"To be able to digest all that and be as productive as he is, and have the relationships he has with the players, is a phenomenal thing. We're lucky to have him in this league, doing what he's doing at this present time. You never take that for granted as guys get older."

Reid, the 64-year-old Kansas City Chiefs coach, has carved out time to acknowledge the magnitude of what his close friend Belichick, 70, is on the cusp of accomplishing.

"He's got a great personality, which people don't see," Reid said of Belichick, who is in his 48th consecutive season coaching in the NFL. "Good sense of humor. Very witty. I think everyone knows he's very intelligent, but he's well-rounded in that area, it's not just football.

"He does a tremendous amount for people, whether it's ex-players or helping out with the different people he knows, giving them things they need in their profession to be successful. He's a giving person that way. I love the guy for what he is."

Last edited:
Well, the lack of talk in the league about this massive milestone is disappointing but not unexpected. This is a really big deal. Bill overtakes the great George Halas, one of the most influential men in the history of this league. I know Bill would be the first to say forget it and move on. But no...it is a very big deal, and he deserves huge praise for reaching this.

Look forward to seeing the best Inside the Lockerroom to see if we see a celebration of this.

Well done Bill. It's an amazing achievement, really.

i heard people talking pregame about how it's so much easier now with more games in the season and more in the playoffs
does that count? 🙄

i heard people talking pregame about how it's so much easier now with more games in the season and more in the playoffs
does that count? 🙄
Well, if that theory is true, then what people who care about these milestones should focus on is winning percentage.

Both Halas and Shula have regular seasons winning percentages that are slighter higher than Belichick's.

Post-season winning percentage is a different animal. Having a winning percentage higher than .700 in that category is a mark of distinction that few can claim, and achieving that level over the course of 44 games is not something any of the other coaches with 30+ playoff games on their resume is even close to.

FgV9fBfX0AEE_gv

Full confession: when the Patriots hired BB, I thought he was going to be more of a Rod Rust / Dick MacPherson type, instead of a Chuck Fairbanks / Bill Parcells type.

Instead, I was proven wrong - he isn't either of those types.

He's the NFL's non-pareil.

View attachment 13440
Love dark chocolate nonpareils

Full confession: when the Patriots hired BB, I thought he was going to be more of a Rod Rust / Dick MacPherson type, instead of a Chuck Fairbanks / Bill Parcells type.

Instead, I was proven wrong - he isn't either of those types.

He's the NFL's non-pareil.

View attachment 13440
I had a party, for real. I was a Belichick fan from when he was with the Giants and Browns. I was beyond thrilled to have him here.

Back