In honor of Father's Day, what are your favorite NFL memories with your dad?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
My father took me to my first Patriots game, which turned out to be the Snow Plow game. Pretty cold and miserable and we left at the half, missing seeing the winning field goal.

How about you?

Went to see the Giants play the Vikings at Yale Bowl back in 1973. I was 9 and miserable. It was cold and the seats were concrete blocks (makes Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro stadium look like paradise.)

My Dad was a big Giant fan. He hated that I chose the Pats.

He passed in 2001 so he never got a chance to give me any crap.

My Dad took me to my first Pats game in Indy in 1995. It was right around Christmas and no one wanted the free tickets from my Mom's work, so we got them. My Dad was just becoming a Colts fan (he always liked the Bucs and still does, but he's more of a Colts fan now) because Jeff George had been gone for a couple of years. My family has a history with Jeff George. I was raised to not be a Colts fan for most of my childhood.

Anyway, I remember Bledsoe being horrendous. Pats lost. Dad was somewhat happy, but I think he would have been happier if I saw the Pats win. I just looked up the stats for Bledsoe because it's been so long. 17-37 with 3 picks. Just as horrendous as I remember in my head.

Even though it was a loss, it was my first Pats game and we had field level seats. It was really cool to sit that close for my first game.

My Dad took me to my first Pats game. In Fenway Park. And for many years he had season tix in the 70s and early 80s and I went to a LOT of games with him. Good times.
He's been gone 24 years and those games still seem like yesterday to me.

Yesterday was my first Father's Day without my dad. Tough day. My dad took me to my first football game, my first Red Sox game, my first Celtics game, my first boxing match, my first horse race, my first everything.

I want to shout out to my MOM who acted like my dad at times. He left my family when I was 4. My mom ended up with the season tickets. She religiously took my brother and I to every home game until I finished high school. With the exception of a few here and there. She raised us on a single, public school teacher's salary. How she did it is beyond me. We saw some awesome games in the many years.

Tuck rule game. Last game in the old stadium, I was 16. I've been to countless games since then, and the place has never gone as crazy as it did that night. My dad is usually a pretty well mannered, under control guy, but everyone was just out of their minds, it was amazing.

Dad took me to the Pats third game ever against the Bills at Nickerson field. Bills had thirteen 1st half points and that was it. 13-0 final. Uninspired, uninspiring. But the beginning of a long love affair. I wish my Dad were here to see the three sox and 4 Pats titles. He never would have believed it and God would he have loved it.

Happy Fathers day all.

Cheers

My father is a bit of a pessimist fan - not only is he a little reserved in his nature, but he sort of likes to play it cool compared to me & my mother, who are unabashed homers.

I went home to watch Super Bowl 42 with them. I'll never forget the pass from Eli to the sideline that should've been picked by Asante, that should have been the game-ender. There was a brief moment where it looked like Asante had it...because he damn well should have, because it was just about the easiest interception you could make. In that brief moment, my father stood up from his seat and screamed yes with an exuberance I'd never seen from him watching sports. I knew that the pass had slipped through Asante's hands, but he didn't. Nonetheless, I'll never forget that affirmation that he absolutely did truly care as much as we did.

Obviously, in hindsight, it's a tough memory.

I don't live in the NE area anymore but my parents still do. When the Patriots advanced to SB XLIX, I decided to make the trip home to watch the game with my Dad. I just remember running over to him and giving him a big hug when it was finally over. That was such a perfect moment - almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Two memories, one happy, one sad.

The happy memory is my first game, 1968 at Fenway against Denver when I was 7. I was on top of the world as my dad pointed out the players and taught me what to look for.

The sad memory is the last game I took him to. I got season tickets in '92 and I took him to a game every year after that. By '99, his health was failing and he struggled to make the walk from the lot to the seats and back. When I got home, I told my wife that I had taken him to his last game. It was a very sad moment for me and he passed away 2 years later.

So many memories with my dad who is still living at age 83 and in good health which is such a blessing. My first thought is always 1984 when BC played Miami and the famous Hail Mary pass by Flutes. My dad went to BC so he always followed BC football. It was easily the best season of his life with Flutes winning the Heismann.

Second to that would be the Pats first Super Bowl. We were at my house and I remember all of family holding hands in a circle of love when Adam made that kick. Super special feeling.

My dad is more a baseball fan though than football so needless to say the Sox three World Series is more than he ever could have hoped for in his lifetime. His favorite part of all the winning was a NY writer saying a couple of years ago that the Sox were the Yankees of the millennium. That made him smile ear to ear.

Back