In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only War..Warhammer 40K thread

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I've been into Warhammer 40K from the beginning, a friend in college introduced me to the game in 1988. Though I stopped playing the tabletop game 20 years ago, due to my friends doing dumb things like getting married and having kids, which spoiled our gaming time, I still love all things 40K.

Needless to say, I was elated when I heard the news, something that I have been dreaming about for decades!

Henry Cavill (formerly Superman, formerly The Witcher) is producing a Live Action Warhammer 40K show with Amazon!
Now, I actually don't trust Amazon to do anything right when it comes to games or well established fictional lore and universes, but Henry Cavill is a die hard, long time Warhammer 40K fanatic. He knows the lore, he knows what 40K is about, the darkness, the horror, the endless war. He paints his own armies, and plays the game on tabletop in between shootings on set...he's that into it. This gives me hope that he will hold the line on Amazon's efforts to ruin everything that makes 40K great.

It was only just announced, so it won't be for a few years from now, but this announcement, for me, was a TREMENDOUS Holiday Gift!

th

th

OIP.qwjVtHUKf3bcDBNdm5nf0gHaNn

9bb7c933dfb31293308bba1e3c3f5dff.jpg

0378cbc7-8b8b-414a-b234-a599cb8b25e5-2060x1236.jpeg

From what I read a day or two ago, Amazon has not secured the rights yet, but if they do then Cavill is slated to executive produce and star in.

I don't blame him for wanting an executive producer role after what happened with The Witcher.

And how stupid is DC? They asked him to announce in October. He is in the ending of Black Adam. And now they are going to reboot and recast again?

From what I read a day or two ago, Amazon has not secured the rights yet, but if they do then Cavill is slated to executive produce and star in.

I don't blame him for wanting an executive producer role after what happened with The Witcher.

And how stupid is DC? They asked him to announce in October. He is in the ending of Black Adam. And now they are going to reboot and recast again?

Games Workshop is notorious for keeping a tight reign on IP rights to their stuff. That's another thing that gives me hope, I imagine they will require Amazon to stick tight to the lore and not try to do their own thing with it. I imagine they will have a representative on set with some authority, and Amazon will probably have to get final approval from GW to broadcast.

The only thing in the DC catalog that works more often than not is Batman.

It could be the the age of the superhero film is over, not because there is a lack of good source material, but because the
show runners think people will eat up whatever they decide to put out to appease social trends, instead of sticking with the
original comics as a perfect template.

The future of the genre might be much smaller indies instead of the bloated swill DC and Marvel have been
slopping on our plates. Real artistic vision doesn't seem to have a seat at the table any more at the Big Box Companies and
people feel the difference even if they aren't always sure what is wrong.

Good luck to Cavill. I can root for that guy even if I know nothing about Warhammer. He was great in the Witcher.

It could be the the age of the superhero film is over, not because there is a lack of good source material, but because the
show runners think people will eat up whatever they decide to put out to appease social trends, instead of sticking with the
original comics as a perfect template.
Well said.

For some reason, modern studios have a disregard for, or even disdain, for well established lore. It's a shame, and it's stupid, because typically the lore of franchises that are decades old, is rich and much more interesting and better than the swill modern screenwriters put out......I call it the "Season 8" factor. There was no better example of the difference between talent, and commercial swill, than season 8 of Game of Thrones.

I'm sure there are talented writers out there, but they aren't getting jobs with the big studios, the lazy (not caring about lore), trendy, commercial, shallow writers are getting jobs. "Season 8" writers.

You know, Netflix did a fine job with The Punisher and Daredevil, and Jessica Jones. That was the exception, before they lost the IP rights.

Games Workshop is notorious for keeping a tight reign on IP rights to their stuff. That's another thing that gives me hope, I imagine they will require Amazon to stick tight to the lore and not try to do their own thing with it. I imagine they will have a representative on set with some authority, and Amazon will probably have to get final approval from GW to broadcast.

I know nothing of the lore but did love playing the PC games for a while.

Looking forward to getting some depth of knowledge that may give me justification, after the fact for slaughtering millions while sitting at my desk. :)

Nice to see that you find at least 1 value in Intellectual Property rights. :)

I've been into Warhammer 40K from the beginning, a friend in college introduced me to the game in 1988. Though I stopped playing the tabletop game 20 years ago, due to my friends doing dumb things like getting married and having kids, which spoiled our gaming time, I still love all things 40K.

Needless to say, I was elated when I heard the news, something that I have been dreaming about for decades!

Henry Cavill (formerly Superman, formerly The Witcher) is producing a Live Action Warhammer 40K show with Amazon!

Now, I actually don't trust Amazon to do anything right when it comes to games or well established fictional lore and universes, but Henry Cavill is a die hard, long time Warhammer 40K fanatic. He knows the lore, he knows what 40K is about, the darkness, the horror, the endless war. He paints his own armies, and plays the game on tabletop in between shootings on set...he's that into it. This gives me hope that he will hold the line on Amazon's efforts to ruin everything that makes 40K great.

It was only just announced, so it won't be for a few years from now, but this announcement, for me, was a TREMENDOUS Holiday Gift!

th

th

OIP.qwjVtHUKf3bcDBNdm5nf0gHaNn

9bb7c933dfb31293308bba1e3c3f5dff.jpg

0378cbc7-8b8b-414a-b234-a599cb8b25e5-2060x1236.jpeg
No idea whatsoever. I miss and miss out on most things these days. but I hear your joy so good for you! Merry Xmas.

Cheers, :toast:

I know nothing of the lore but did love playing the PC games for a while.

Looking forward to getting some depth of knowledge that may give me justification, after the fact for slaughtering millions while sitting at my desk. :)

Nice to see that you find at least 1 value in Intellectual Property rights. :)

Well, brother, I could make a pretty good argument that IP rights are what have prevented a great Warhammer 40K show from being made for 30 years.....but that is another topic for another day and another place...lol.:toast:

Last edited:
Is it weird that there was someone in a chicken suit standing on a corner downtown Concord with a sign? The sign was trying to catch the attention of Cavil.

Was he here?

Harrison Young, was that you in the suit? Same one you wore in an attempt to woo my young cousin when she worked at Taco Bell in the 90s? Brockton, MA.

Why does so much awesome continually cross my path?

So, if anyone has been watching Fallout on Amazon, they did a GREAT job.

Aside from the fact that the bad people are all white guys, there is no noticeable social messaging, and they remained very true to the spirit of Fallout...absurdity, violence, gore, humor, the done Fallout good! I am more than happy.

The main characters are well played....Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins are dynamite, Aaron Moten is a decent actor, but I feel like he is definitely the inferior of the 3 main actors.

The effects are good, and the sets are unbelievably true to the series and lore. Outstanding show. #1 on Amazon, and with good reason.

Now....for the bad and the ugly.....

The folks at Games Workshop, the owners of the Warhammer 40K IP, have begun to rewrite long established 40K lore, beginning with one of the most iconic legions in the game, the personal guard of the Emperor, and make it more "inclusive", introducing females into what has always been an all-male chapter.....not only that, but all Space Marines are male, because they are literally clones of the Primarchs, the sons of the Emperor, who are leaders of the chapters, and who's DNA was used to alter the phsiology of humans to create marines....so suddenly rewriting the lore to include fmales in Space Marines not onlyu contradicts decades of established lore, but it doesn't even make sense.

Mind you, there are women in 40K, but they have their own factions and chapters...Sisters of Battle who the new "leadership" at GW and/or Amazon decided are "too religious", and the Sisters of Silence, whom those same leaders rejected because they don't speak. So instead, they chose to rewrite 40 years of Warhammer canon and make women Space Marines, in the most prestigious chapter in the world.

Needless to say, this has created outrage among the fan base, to which the social media folks at Games Workshop responded by insulting them, calling them names, and censoring or blicking them, which just fueled the flames.

The CFO of Games Workshop, who had already announced her retirement beforehand (perhaps she saw this coming), just dumped 2/3 of her stock the moment the dumpster fire started...she knew where it was going.

GW has lost something on the order of 50% of their subscribers and there is an active boycott of their products, and there is an uncomfirmed rumor that Henry Cavill has staed he will withdraw from doing the show if GW goes forward with rewriting Warehammer lore for political correctness, which is the same reason he left the Witcher.

Back