Invading Gillette!

Wiluven

Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum to ask in - it's a little formal as I posted on another site that I'm new too and haven't gotten any responses.

Greetings!

My girlfriend and I are long time Patriot fans (13+ years) and she bought us a trip to Boston for my Birthday to party and see the 49ers game on Dec. 16th. It will be my first trip to Boston and we are flying in on Friday morning and staying at the Omni Boston Parker House downtown.

After hours of reading I'm still not sure what the best option is to get to the stadium and leave the stadium. We definitely want to show up early to tailgate so the train is not an option I'm considering.

Here's kind of the options I'm mulling over:
1.) Rent a car ($40), Park ($40), Hotel parking (40$), Gas ($?). This option is fine but a bit expensive and honestly I'd prefer to be able to drink and not have to worry about driving. It's my Birthday after all

If I rent a car - the below two options are moot.
2.) Getting to the stadium shouldn't be too difficult as we'll show up way early to tailgate. It's also my understanding that cabs can not go into the stadium. What is the best option getting to the Stadium? Does the T go anywhere near? Can a cab drop us off nearby?

3.) Leaving the stadium is really the most concerning. I understand that traffic is insane for a couple hours after the game so I'm trying to figure out what options I have.
a.) Take the train. I heard the train leaves directly after the game and takes forever to get to your destination. This idea is okay but since it takes so long to get back it effectively kills our last night in Boston. Also, since we won't be taking the train TO the game, can we ride it going back?​
b.) Can we tailgate or go to a bar at Patriots Place for a couple of hours after the game and possibly take a cab? Are cabs allowed to come in or near the stadium hours after the game ends?​

I appreciate any advice you folks could offer!

I hope this is the right forum to ask in - it's a little formal as I posted on another site that I'm new too and haven't gotten any responses.

Greetings!

My girlfriend and I are long time Patriot fans (13+ years) and she bought us a trip to Boston for my Birthday to party and see the 49ers game on Dec. 16th. It will be my first trip to Boston and we are flying in on Friday morning and staying at the Omni Boston Parker House downtown.

After hours of reading I'm still not sure what the best option is to get to the stadium and leave the stadium. We definitely want to show up early to tailgate so the train is not an option I'm considering.

1.) Rent a car ($40), Park ($40), Hotel parking (40$), Gas ($?). This option is fine but a bit expensive and honestly I'd prefer to be able to drink and not have to worry about driving. It's my Birthday after all

2.) Getting to the stadium shouldn't be too difficult as we'll show up way early to tailgate. It's also my understanding that cabs can not go into the stadium. What is the best option getting to the Stadium? Does the T go anywhere near? Can a cab drop us off nearby?

3.) Leaving the stadium is really the most concerning. I understand that traffic is insane for a couple hours after the game so I'm trying to figure out what options I have.
a.) Take the train. I heard the train leaves directly after the game and takes forever to get to your destination. This idea is okay but since it takes so long to get back it effectively kills our last night in Boston. Also, since we won't be taking the train TO the game, can we ride it going back?​
b.) Can we tailgate or go to a bar at Patriots Place for a couple of hours after the game and possibly take a cab? Are cabs allowed to come in or near the stadium hours after the game ends?​

In truth, your options are really limited. Getting to the stadium on game day is bumper to bumper, even five hours before game time. There are no train stations anywhere near except the train to and from the game, which would allow you no time to tailgate or sightsee.

Here's my suggestion. I would rent a car to go to Patriot Place/Gillette on Saturday, spend some time shopping, going to the Pro Shop, having a bite to eat, do some ice skating at the rink, etc., go back to Boston, and then take the game train on game day, even though you won't be able to tailgate and you'll have to leave right away. It kind of sucks, but it's really the easiest for those that don't know their way around.

Have a blast one way or another. Where are you coming in from?

In truth, your options are really limited. Getting to the stadium on game day is bumper to bumper, even five hours before game time. There are no train stations anywhere near except the train to and from the game, which would allow you no time to tailgate or sightsee.

Here's my suggestion. I would rent a car to go to Patriot Place/Gillette on Saturday, spend some time shopping, going to the Pro Shop, having a bite to eat, do some ice skating at the rink, etc., go back to Boston, and then take the game train on game day, even though you won't be able to tailgate and you'll have to leave right away. It kind of sucks, but it's really the easiest for those that don't know their way around.

Have a blast one way or another. Where are you coming in from?

Definitely noted about the train. I would really like to tailgate with some folks but it just may not be worth it.

Couple questions about the game train:
Is the game train different than the T?
How far away from our hotel is the game train?
What time should we be at the train depot to go to the game?
How long after the game ends does the train end?
How long would it take for the game train to drop us off near our hotel?
How does ticketing work for the train? Can I buy just a ticket to leave the game and not a ticket to go to the game?

Coming in from Phoenix AZ. I've wanted to go to Boston for over 10 years now and finally going for my first of many!

We already have a room booked from Friday through Monday in Downtown Boston and while I'd definitely consider double booking and getting a room the night of game - unfortunately they are fully booked. Staying there the night of the 15th really doesn't help me so much as my primary concern is leaving Gillette after the game. Plus my girlfriend would kill me as she wants to party in Downtown Boston Saturday night :)

It is a night game and Boston is dead on a Sunday anyways, so don't worry about that aspect.

Sun. Dec.16
VS. 49ers

Kick Off- 8:20 PM

South Station Train - 6:35 p.m.
Back Bay Train - 6:40 p.m.

Arrive at Gillette: 7:40 p.m.

Return train is immediately after game.

South Station is about a 15-minute walk from the Omni, which could suck if it's cold, rainy or snowy, but you can get a cab right at the hotel.

The only advice I can give you about a December night game is LAYERS, LAYERS, AND MORE LAYERS. I don't know where your seats are, but if you're in the 300s, the wind will go right through you. And tell your girlfriend no boots with heels....comfortable stuff on your feet, preferably Uggs or something like that.

Greetings!

The best option is to rent a car for one day and drive down.
Don't worry about traffic. It's part of the experience! Just accept it and listen to the post game on the radio while slowly crawling. I understand the drinking concerns, but not much you can do about it unless your girlfriend was willing to drive. But as you already know, you can't take the train and tailgate.

The lots will not open until 4PM. If you go down too early, you will likely be told to move along. They don't like people pulling over and waiting. If you left your hotel around 3, you'd probably be in good shape. If you went very early, you could park in the Patriot Place lots and take in the area. But you'll need to move into a tailgate lot before game time. They keep track of who parks there and if you use the retail lots for game parking, you'll end up with a very expensive ticket.

You can tailgate for two hours after the game. Of course, that would mean between 2-3AM. Not sure what time the Patriot Place bars will be closing that night.

People in the lots are very friendly. Just bring along some adult beverages to share and most people will invite you into their tailgate.

Oh, and dress warm.

He maybe spoiled, but I've taken the game train twice. It sucks. Wicked.

Cheers, BostonTim

Once was all I needed to realize that it was a bad, bad idea for me to continue to be on that train in the future. Not to mention how slow it was.

If there was a normal T stop, it would be Tits McGee, given that I hate having to rent a car when I go to Boston, but find traveling to Foxborough to be delightful. Luckily, my East Coast chauffeur, Lisa, is familiar with that route. :coffee:

Once was all I needed to realize that it was a bad, bad idea for me to continue to be on that train in the future. Not to mention how slow it was.

If there was a normal T stop, it would be Tits McGee, given that I hate having to rent a car when I go to Boston, but find traveling to Foxborough to be delightful. Luckily, my East Coast chauffeur, Lisa, is familiar with that route. :coffee:

Seriously, you are so friggin spoiled. Getting picked up at the airport in a 500SL, no less.

Next time I fly into that shithole Detroit Metro, please send a town car my way.

I appreciate all of the advice thus far and will respond accordingly here shortly but wanted to get this up.

We haven't bought tickets just yet but there's plenty. We'd like to be as close as we can on the Patriots sideline. I'm looking at Section 111 Row 38 tickets for $300 each. Thoughts on that area?

To jump up I'm looking at
Section 111 Row 30 for $360 each
Section 108 Row 23 for $374 each
Section 108 Row 10 for $400 each

Would we be happy with Section 111 Row 38?

I appreciate all of the advice thus far and will respond accordingly here shortly but wanted to get this up.

We haven't bought tickets just yet but there's plenty. We'd like to be as close as we can on the Patriots sideline. I'm looking at Section 111 Row 38 tickets for $300 each. Thoughts on that area?

To jump up I'm looking at
Section 111 Row 30 for $360 each
Section 108 Row 23 for $374 each
Section 108 Row 10 for $400 each

Would we be happy with Section 111 Row 38?

Section 111 is fantastic. Patriots side, great views. Make sure you're buying from a legitimate site.

Seriously, you are so friggin spoiled. Getting picked up at the airport in a 500SL, no less.

Next time I fly into that shithole Detroit Metro, please send a town car my way.

Detroit's so corrupt that town cars are the only ground transportation allowed in the airport. No taxis. So that's not a problem.

Unfortunately the Section 111 Row 38 tickets got purchased at $299 each - Luckily right after that I did another search and Section 107 Row 26 tickets went up for $300 each. Better seats for a dollar more :)

Back