Is the Brady Manning rival the biggest in NFL history?

TylerD

Reaction score
I was having a discussion with some friends a couple nights ago discussing some of the rivalries in the history of the NFL. Being that we are all in our 30's we aren't too familiar with some of the rivalries that may happened in the 80's and prior.... Most of us agreed that Manning/Brady, Aikman/Favre were up there with some of the greatest. Curious what you guys think.

Could also factor in Rivers/Manning I guess as the Chargers seemed to have Peyton's number until he went to Denver.

Kerry Byrne thinks so.
https://www.patriots.com/news/brady...n-nfl-history-patriots-at-the-quarter--183001

I'd have to look hard at the Bart Starr - Johnny Unitas and the Terry Bradshaw - Roger Staubach battles. Those were pretty damn good but I was young so what did I know? Steve Young - Troy Aikman were more recent...I'd probably go with Brady-Manning over those 3 rivalries.

Note: Montana didn't have rivalries bc he pretty much had his years with the 49ers without any great qb peers imo.

It is tough to say.

In support of Brady/Manning was the fact that both are about the same age and their careers overlapped by about 15 years.

Coupling this will the regular season schedule of 1s playing each other, the two had more opportunities to play each other and with, for the most part, each regular season game deciding playoff seeding between the two from 2003-2015 with the exception of only a handful of years.

So just by sheer volume there is more depth to the resume of the rivalry. The fact that the two are among the best to play and often knocked each other off, only strengthened this fact.

Other rivalries did not have the opportunities to play each other as much as Brady and Manning played each other.

So there is a good argument it was one of the best.

If volume of appearances is taken out of the equation a bit, then there are other great rivalries that would match Brady/Manning.

Kerry Byrne thinks so.
https://www.patriots.com/news/brady...n-nfl-history-patriots-at-the-quarter--183001

I'd have to look hard at the Bart Starr - Johnny Unitas and the Terry Bradshaw - Roger Staubach battles. Those were pretty damn good but I was young so what did I know? Steve Young - Troy Aikman were more recent...I'd probably go with Brady-Manning over those 3 rivalries.

Note: Montana didn't have rivalries bc he pretty much had his years with the 49ers without any great qb peers imo.

Yes my dad always liked the Raiders/Steelers Rival. He goes on about it all the time. I can't remember who the Raiders QB would have been at the time but he said they always played fantastic games in the playoffs.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

It is tough to say.

In support of Brady/Manning was the fact that both are about the same age and their careers overlapped by about 15 years.

Coupling this will the regular season schedule of 1s playing each other, the two had more opportunities to play each other and with, for the most part, each regular season game deciding playoff seeding between the two from 2003-2015 with the exception of only a handful of years.

So just by sheer volume there is more depth to the resume of the rivalry. The fact that the two are among the best to play and often knocked each other off, only strengthened this fact.

Other rivalries did not have the opportunities to play each other as much as Brady and Manning played each other.

So there is a good argument it was one of the best.

If volume of appearances is taken out of the equation a bit, then there are other great rivalries that would match Brady/Manning.

Agreed completely! Even though the rival would still be great, I don't think it would be what it is today had Peyton not gone 0-7 against Brady and the Pats. Losing early in his career against the Pats made this such a nasty rivalry for Peyton and the Colts. It wasn't till about 2005 that the Colts finally started winning some of those games. 2003 will always be one of my fave games. Colts lost to the Pats at home in the dying seconds. That game was ridiculous entertainment.

Kerry Byrne thinks so.

Also back to this. It's a shame that Montana didn't play in the same Conf as Dan Marino. They constantly were battling number wise but only faced each other a handful of times.

Guy? I always thought he was a snake.

:shrug_n::shrug_n: Never met him.... Heard he was a good football player though lol.

Edit: According to my dad anyway.

from what I remember of Raiders v. Steelers, the Stillers won most of those. good games but is it a rivalry when it is one sided?
if I remember correctly, the reason the Raidah's got that SB in the 70's - besides the screw-job that was the roughing the passer on Sugar Bear - was that they didn't have to play the steelers
I may have that wrong but that's my recollection (and I'm not that interested to google it, so shoot me :coffee: )

His nickname was "The Snake" & yes he was very good. He is now in the HOF.

Now Oakland has Carr :( and soon to be Nathan Peterman. :( I feel for that franchise. Silly me. Two seasons ago I honestly thought Carr could become an elite level qb. Boy was I wrong.

from what I remember of Raiders v. Steelers, the Stillers won most of those. good games but is it a rivalry when it is one sided?
if I remember correctly, the reason the Raidah's got that SB in the 70's - besides the screw-job that was the roughing the passer on Sugar Bear - was that they didn't have to play the steelers
I may have that wrong but that's my recollection (and I'm not that interested to google it, so shoot me :coffee: )

I’ve always wondered this myself. How can it be a rivalry when it’s so one sided. Makes me think of UFC when Tito Ortiz fought Ken Shamrock three times and kicked Shamrocks ass each time. It’s considered a huge rivalry which I don’t understand. Only reason the colts and Pats became such a rivalry is become eventually the Colts won a few games and made it respectable. Man if Brady went like went like 14-0 against Manning that’s no rivalry. That’s a massacre lol.

Raiders-Steelers produced the Immaculate Reception, so there's that.

And yes, the starting QBs in that game were Stabler and Bradshaw, respectively.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dHIXFKrrUhA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The best QB to ever play vs some chump who netted TB 12 points per game in 4 Super Bowls? That was not a great rivalry.

Think about the 2015 AFCCG where head-bob Stork was getting Brady killed on every play. If you switched Brady and Manning before the game, Denver wins by 20. Brady still barely lost on a missed 2 point conversion after some questionable skipped FG tries by Belichick.

Here is my favorite possible stat. If Brady gets to another Super Bowl his 9 appearances will match Manning's 9 one-and-dones

Also, don't forget the huge * for Manning's entire post-HGH second act.

The best QB to ever play vs some chump who netted TB 12 points per game in 4 Super Bowls? That was not a great rivalry.

Think about the 2015 AFCCG where head-bob Stork was getting Brady killed on every play. If you switched Brady and Manning before the game, Denver wins by 20. Brady still barely lost on a missed 2 point conversion after some questionable skipped FG tries by Belichick.

Here is my favorite possible stat. If Brady gets to another Super Bowl his 9 appearances will match Manning's 9 one-and-dones

Also, don't forget the huge * for Manning's entire post-HGH second act.

I was more talking when Peyton was with the Colts. I didn’t follow him much in Denver. And he would be the first to tell you his last season with Denver sucked. He made fun of it when doing awards. Said the Broncos team carried him that season. Defining the rival they had off of one season is silly. Even early in Peyton’s career when Brady owner him they had some pretty phenomenal games. Like I said earlier the 03 regular season game they had was one of the best games I have ever seen. Colts lost by 4 points in the dying seconds. Those type of games don’t happen every year. And yet it seemed when Peyton and Tom played each other we got exactly that no matter who won and who lost. 2009 was also a fantastic game. Colts won. But honestly regardless of the win or not it was a hell of an entertaining game just like 03.

I was more talking when Peyton was with the Colts. I didn’t follow him much in Denver. And he would be the first to tell you his last season with Denver sucked. He made fun of it when doing awards. Said the Broncos team carried him that season. Defining the rival they had off of one season is silly. Even early in Peyton’s career when Brady owner him they had some pretty phenomenal games. Like I said earlier the 03 regular season game they had was one of the best games I have ever seen. Colts lost by 4 points in the dying seconds. Those type of games don’t happen every year. And yet it seemed when Peyton and Tom played each other we got exactly that no matter who won and who lost. 2009 was also a fantastic game. Colts won. But honestly regardless of the win or not it was a hell of an entertaining game just like 03.

My memory could be (often is) wrong. But weren't all (or at least 8 of the 9 one and dones) with the colts?

Cheers

My memory could be (often is) wrong. But weren't all (or at least 8 of the 9 one and dones) with the colts?

Cheers

In playoffs you mean?

I am talking specifically about the rivalry of the two QB's playing each other. Not so much who has had more success because obviously it's the Pats hands down. But that really doesn't have anything to do with the rivalry itself. Success and wins goes to the Patriots for sure. Im just talking more specifically head to head Peyton Vs Tom. And more specifically when Peyton was in Indy because I kind of lost track of what Peyton did in Denver outside of winning a Super Bowl even though he was hot garbage for most of that season in which he realizes he was and his team had his back. Though funny..... Denver has not made it back to the playoffs since Peyton has retired. Even though his physical ability went down the shit box I think he was still smart enough to win games (Obviously having the number 1 defense helps too)

Brady was 8 wins and 4 losses against Manning's Colts.

He was 3-2 against Manning's Broncos.

A huge loss was vs Osweiler's Broncos because that put the AFCCG in Denver.
- The Chris Harper punt muff turned that game.

One thing about that last year of Manning. He did throw a couple TDs against the Patriots in the AFCCG even if he was awful most of the year.

That Super Bowl came down to which QB cold take his beating better. Manning took it like a man and Cam gave up a fumble TD, got scared of another fumble and then stormed out of the press conference.

Back