It's hard to decide...

Yep.

"Letting them play" makes sense in hockey but is seriously stupid in football.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

I guess my question would be, was the PI on Culliver against smith more PI than the holding call was on Crabtree and I have to say no, so if you call one and not the other it seems odd. I saw the niners get called for offsides, I see the ravens jump off on the 2 point conversion with no call. Its nice that you want to let them play, but you have to kind of do it for both sides.

So no one wants to mention Torrey Smith (SMARTLY) saving Flacco from an INT with OPI?

Actually, that's the OPI I was referring to in the posts. Where even the announcers were somewhat shocked it didn't get called.

Speaking of the announcers, I did find Simms pretty funny on that last defensive holding non-call. "That's a good no-call" "Well, he did have 2 hands wrapped around him" "The ball was on the 2 and he's still got him wrapped up 3 yards into the end zone" "You know, the more replays I see the more confused I become"

Actually, that's the OPI I was referring to in the posts. Where even the announcers were somewhat shocked it didn't get called.

Speaking of the announcers, I did find Simms pretty funny on that last defensive holding non-call. "That's a good no-call" "Well, he did have 2 hands wrapped around him" "The ball was on the 2 and he's still got him wrapped up 3 yards into the end zone" "You know, the more replays I see the more confused I become"

Simms did try his hardest to say it was a no call.....I read on ESPN that a writer said it was incidental contact....huh?

I really don't want to think conspiracy if for no other reason than it'd be hard to pull off convincingly. However, I do tend to wonder if it's not a bit of a perception thing. Kind of like an ace pitcher being more likely to get an outside strike call than a rookie. They just expect it. Everybody wants the big Ray Lewis retirement story, so they just see things a little more one-sided than normal.

I really don't want to think conspiracy if for no other reason than it'd be hard to pull off convincingly. However, I do tend to wonder if it's not a bit of a perception thing. Kind of like an ace pitcher being more likely to get an outside strike call than a rookie. They just expect it. Everybody wants the big Ray Lewis retirement story, so they just see things a little more one-sided than normal.

No, I am not going that far as to say the NFL wanted the ravens to win. I have seen enough one sided called games to think they are anything out of the ordinary. Although it does make for a better story if the Ravens win.

???

I expect the officials to call a foul if a foul is committed regardless of when it happens.

You being too simplistic. Contact was initiated by the receiver and the defender, hence no call. The outcome supports my observation.

How was contact initiated by the receiver?

I was going to let someone else ask that....I heard things like the receiver was pushing off, well, yeah when someone has a hold of you and is hanging on for dear life, you are going to be pushing a bit.

You being too simplistic. Contact was initiated by the receiver and the defender, hence no call. The outcome supports my observation.

That's one non-call, how do you explain the rest of them? Especially ones where SF was called for the same thing Baltimore wasn't.

How was contact initiated by the receiver?

The Crabtree ran directly into the defender. Crabtree created the conctact. The defender did wrap Crabtree, but at that point, there was no way Crabtree would get a PI call.

... judging by the result, I have suspicion that I'm right.

That's one non-call, how do you explain the rest of them? Especially ones where SF was called for the same thing Baltimore wasn't.

The non offsides on the two point conversion, niners get called for a ticky tack PI, but nothing on the ravens....yeah it was a bit much....I have not heard anyone say that last play was not a hold, the most I have heard is that they do not throw flags there, which I do not understand, and I have seen plenty of calls called in under a minute of a game....one that comes to mind was 2003 superbowl when we driving to get into fg range they called a offensive PI on us, and I swear I never saw it.

Just looked at it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7qWnMFgW0

1. Awful play call, audible or otherwise. The end zone fade is a pretty play... when it works. Which is about half the time. If I'm in that situation the fade is a first or second-down play only.

2. Terrible throw. I'm not sure if Crabtree would have come down with it anyway. Too much air, too far outside. But the Ravens' pressure caused that.

3. Even more terrible-r route run by Crabtree. The ball is snapped, he takes a few strides and stops, looks at the CB, engages him, and at that point the play is essentially already over. Watching the replay, it looks like he had excellent position until that point. On a fade you have to avoid contact as much as you can because it's all predicated on timing. Crabtree basically ran into the defender, almost like he wasn't expecting Kap to throw it his way.

4. Why did SF not call a timeout there? They had to realize it was pretty much all or nothing. When the Ravens showed blitz, they should have called for time.

The entire goal-line possession was a disaster, from coaching to play calling to execution. 49ers fans can complain about the 4th down non-call, and I've seen holding called for less obvious infractions, but I can't agree with the idea that SF was "robbed." They had their shot, they effed it up.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...out-of-way-ray-lewis-jim-john-harbaugh-020413

The NFL got exactly what it wanted from referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the Super Bowl.
Roger Goodell wanted an officiating crew that would get out of the way and let the players be the stars.
For the past 15 years and spurred by the popularity of HD TV, NFL refs have been horning in on the players’ spotlight. The refs like being stars. They like being recognized. Ed Hochuli’s guns have become as well-known as Deion’s high-step.
Goodell wants to end this. He doesn’t want officiating stars. That’s why the NFL worked its system to assign a mediocre, nondescript ref to the Super Bowl. According to Boger’s jealous peers, his season-long grades did not justify his Super Bowl selection. Speculation quickly asserted the NFL manipulated its grading system so that an African-American ref could lead the Super Bowl.
If that were the case, Mike Carey would’ve been the easy choice. He’s worked the Super Bowl before and he’s highly regarded.
Nope. Goodell was after something different. Goodell wanted a ref who would stay out of the way, a crew that wouldn’t take over the game. And that’s what the league got.

Boger and his crew swallowed their flags from start to finish. They entered the stadium determined not to be the story when the game was over. Guess what? They’re the story. Jim Harbaugh was irate there was no defensive holding or pass interference called on San Fran’s last offensive play.
Boger and Co. spent the entire evening trying to avoid throwing their flags. Baltimore cornerback Cary Williams shoved an official and should’ve been tossed from the game in the first half. There was no flag.
Two of the most physical and emotional teams in football collided on Sunday and there were just seven penalties all day. The refs called the obvious stuff — two for offside, one facemask, an illegal formation. There wasn’t one holding call all game and there was just one pass interference call.

The players were free to do whatever they wanted, and Baltimore certainly did at the end of the game.
We all hate it when the refs take over a game. But it’s just as bad when they let the players police themselves. The Super Bowl deserved better officiating. I blame Goodell.

#1 I heard this morning that of the past 55 games a defensive holding call/PI has been called 0 times in the last 2 miniutes of a game. Which begs the question...why don't the Pats just mug the crap out of guys at the end of the game?

#2 I don't agree they would push Carey if they wanted a racial component. They want to rotate refs through the opportunity, which is BS...utter and complete BS. That opportunity should be EARNED and Hochuli was NOT the star of the SB he did for the Pats. Carey...well he definitely swallowed his whistle on the velcrohelmet play. And the guy is one of the most penalty calling refs in the NFL.

The SB should be played under the same rules and the regular season games. That is total BS. Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the NFL ever.

#1 I heard this morning that of the past 55 games a defensive holding call/PI has been called 0 times in the last 2 miniutes of a game. Which begs the question...why don't the Pats just mug the crap out of guys at the end of the game?

#2 I don't agree they would push Carey if they wanted a racial component. They want to rotate refs through the opportunity, which is BS...utter and complete BS. That opportunity should be EARNED and Hochuli was NOT the star of the SB he did for the Pats. Carey...well he definitely swallowed his whistle on the velcrohelmet play. And the guy is one of the most penalty calling refs in the NFL.

Well the Pats must be part of that last 55 games, because I remember late calls in games that went against us. At what time did we face guard in the 06 afc title game?

06 was more than 55 playoff games ago AND...if you'll check again, I said last 2 min.

06 was more than 55 playoff games ago AND...if you'll check again, I said last 2 min.

I was not aware the rules changed in the last two minutes. I have seen pats called for ticky tack crap, so when I see a player basically grab onto a guy and hold him while the ball sales over his head, saying that its because of what time of the game it is, does not really fly with me. The last time the pats got physical with a team, they went crying to the league and got the rule changed while the media bashed away on the pats for cheating Poor peyton out of his title, so this is a sore subject with me.

Back