It's Mayo

Probably.

That was a MIGHTY SHIITY way to do Bill this last year. Shows tremendous weakness on the part of the Krafts to have taken the easy way out and cut Bill's legs off for a year without telling him. Better owners would have taken the medicine that went with the decision rather than create a secret walking dead horse.

If in fact they did this last year as the Mayo contract now makes it seem.
I really don't think that by having that clause in the contract, it was meant to take effect this year. I'd be willing to bet that BB even knew of that clause in Mayo's contract.

I agree with what some have said here, Stevie B should really stay here if given the chance and not follow his dad. If he really wants to improve and get ahead, he will need to show he can do it away from Bill; otherwise, the charge of nepotism will follow him around no matter how unjustified the label is. Maybe the Krafs would rather remove the Belichick name entirely from the team, but it won't be up to them. It would be a very strong move and statement if Jerod keeps him and makes him DC. DeMarcus Covington though is very good as well, it would be great if Mayo can keep both coaches.

I think it is highly likely that Mayo will be an excellent and highly successful head coach.

I also think it is highly likely that that won't happen with his first head coaching job, under these circumstances.

I'm mixed overall on the hiring, very down on the firing, and pretty sour on how it went down.

I think it is very likely that Kraft's legacy is secondarily that he presided over possibly the most impressive dynasty in professional sports, and primarily that he chased away 3 consecutive coaches who were HOF-level impacts on the game...except that it's pro sports, so we remember the glory and only the truly horrific downside stuff avoids getting flushed down the memory hole.

I really don't think that by having that clause in the contract, it was meant to take effect this year. I'd be willing to bet that BB even knew of that clause in Mayo's contract.

Could be. That clause isn't the defining reason I said what I said. It is that clause PLUS everything else we are hearing and the order/timing of events. I have lived in the corporate world for 30+ years. I have witnessed dead men (and women) walking before and it sucks. It always could have been better handled by better management.

Maybe Bill's fate was decided this week. I hope it was, but I am beginning to doubt it. What the hell do I really know?

I mean, everyone knew. They put out a press release about it.

The new GM will be Bill Parcells. He finally gets to shop for the groceries.

“First black coach in Patriots history”
I think that’s got a lot to do with this hiring. Kraft is old and is thinking about his legacy. This takes a ton of heat off of him from the media and who he hires to replace Bill. It’s nonstop about how the league needs more black coaches. I promise, you will hear no criticism of this move from any national media.

I think Mayo would be a fine DC. The patriots in 2024 need an offensive mind who can choose and develop a young QB. I don’t see how this hiring solves any of the problems the team has.

The new GM will be Bill Parcells. He finally gets to shop for the groceries.
I mean, he shopped for the groceries with the Jets...

Now before Kraft decided to meddle and hire Bobby Grier, that Law/Milloy/Bruschi draft was pretty epic.

Back