Jim Nance selected to enter Patriots Hall of Fame

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Official announcement from the team:

http://patsblog.projo.com/2009/06/jim-nance-selec.html
In a year that the franchise is celebrating its 50th anniversary, Patriots fans had an opportunity to vote for one of three hall of fame finalists, each of whom were perennial American Football League (AFL) All-Stars for the then Boston Patriots. Today, the Patriots announced that fullback Jim Nance has earned the honor of becoming the 14th player and the first running back to be inducted into the team's hall of fame.

"I am glad that the fans selected Jim Nance for this honor," said Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft. "Like so many others, he was one of the reasons I became a Patriots fan. He was an attraction. He brought fans to the games and that was very important in building a loyal fan base. Four decades later, we still have many season ticket holders who became fans of the Patriots in the 1960s because of players like Jim Nance. The fact that he still holds some prominent rushing records 38 years after his playing career speaks volumes."

Nance was drafted by the Boston Patriots in the 19th round of the 1965 AFL Draft despite leading Syracuse in rushing in 1964 and tying Jim Brown's school record with 13 rushing touchdowns as a senior. In 1963 and 1965, he also earned All-America honors as the NCAA's heavyweight wrestling champion.

In just his second season with the Patriots (1966), he led the AFL and earned league MVP honors after setting a franchise record with 1,458 yards rushing. In the 10-year history of the AFL, Nance was the only player to eclipse the 1,400-yard plateau and his 104.1-yard rushing average per game that season remains a franchise record -- 43 years later.

Nance was voted to the AFL All-Star game in 1966 and again in 1967 after leading all AFL and NFL rushers each year. It is the only time a Patriots back has led the league in rushing in back-to-back seasons. He also earned the distinction of being the only AFL player to rush for over 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He was traded by the Patriots to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1972, but left New England as the franchise's all-time leading rusher in nearly every statistical category. His 45 career rushing touchdowns remain a franchise record.

In 1966, Nance was the first Patriot to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated. The photo captured his 65 yard touchdown run against the Buffalo Bills in the Patriots' 14-3 victory. The game was billed as "The Game of the Year" in 1966.

At 6-foot-1 and weights varying from 225 to over 240 pounds, Nance was a powerful runner. Yet, he also had five career runs from scrimmage of 50 yards or more, including three touchdowns. He rushed 299 times in 14 games in 1966, including a game against the Oakland Raiders that he carried 38 times for 208 yards and two touchdowns in a 24-21 win. His attempts record was broken 31 years later by Curtis Martin, but remains second all-time and his 208 yards rushing remains second only to Tony Collins' 212 in 1983.

In addition to his tenure in New England, Nance also played in seven games for the New York Jets in 1973 and finished his career by playing his final two seasons in the World Football League (WFL) from 1974-75. He became the WFL's all-time leading rusher with 2,007 yards on 490 carries (4.1 avg), including 15 touchdowns.

Nance passed away on June 17, 1992. He is survived by his daughter, Rachel, who will represent her father at the Patriots Hall of Fame induction ceremony the weekend of the Patriots' preseason opener August 20-23.

Beginning in 2007, the Patriots started a new hall of fame tradition, inducting one player or head coach to The Hall each year. The process for induction now involves a panel of media, alumni and staff who collectively nominate the players or head coaches most deserving of induction. After the nominations are made and discussed, the committee votes and the top three tallies become that year's finalists. The Patriots then give their fans the opportunity to vote online to select each year's winner.

Earlier this year, a 19-person nomination committee met at The Hall at Patriot Place presented by Raytheon to discuss this year's candidates for induction. Those votes were tallied and the three finalists were Houston Antwine, Jon Morris and Jim Nance. Fans had the opportunity to vote from April 21 until May 31. Since the new process was implemented, the fans have inducted Stanley Morgan (2007), Ben Coates (2008) and now Jim Nance (2009).

Current Patriots Hall of Famers:

John Hannah*
Nick Buoniconti*
Gino Cappelletti
Bob Dee
Jim Lee Hunt
Steve Nelson
Vito "Babe" Parilli
Mike Haynes*
Steve Grogan
Andre Tippett*
Bruce Armstrong
Stanley Morgan
Ben Coates
Jim Nance

*-Also enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three cheers for the big bruising runningback. :toast:

Somewhere, my dad is smiling. Nance was his favorite player.

Nance elected to Patriots Hall of Fame

Jim Nance, a bruising running back who twice led the American Football League in rushing while playing for the Patriots, has been elected to the franchise's Hall of Fame, the team announced today. Nance, who played for the Patriots from...

More...

One of the best RB in Patriots History Is now in the Patriots hall Of fame.

I had to opportunity to get to know Jim Nance in 1987 when we did a video together. He didn't drive, so I'd pick him up to meet his friends at his favorite chinese restaurant in Quincy. He was most proud of being the NCAA Heavyweight Wrestling Champion as a Soph and Senior at Syracuse. He still held a vicious grudge against the referee of his losing Championship match as a college Junior.
I took a photo of him with all of his trophies. (Now I need to find the negatives). He gave me a highlight film of a football season played at Fenway Park.
I felt quite priviledged when he asked me to drive him to the opening of the New England Sports Museum when it debuted on Soldiers Field road in 1987. Everyone loved "Jimbo" Nance. I miss him.

I had to opportunity to get to know Jim Nance in 1987 when we did a video together. He didn't drive, so I'd pick him up to meet his friends at his favorite chinese restaurant in Quincy. He was most proud of being the NCAA Heavyweight Wrestling Champion as a Soph and Senior at Syracuse. He still held a vicious grudge against the referee of his losing Championship match as a college Junior.
I took a photo of him with all of his trophies. (Now I need to find the negatives). He gave me a highlight film of a football season played at Fenway Park.
I felt quite priviledged when he asked me to drive him to the opening of the New England Sports Museum when it debuted on Soldiers Field road in 1987. Everyone loved "Jimbo" Nance. I miss him.

Nice story, Joe.

I'm happy Nance made the Pats' Hall of Fame. No question he deserves it.

As do Houston Antwine and Jon Morris. I hope Kraft makes an exception to the voting process and inducts both of those guys as soon as possible. Something tells me Jim Nance wouldn't have minded Antwine and Morris being inducted with him.

Back