Just an observation about the officiating.

Patriots-Lifer

Live the life you've dreamed
Reaction score
Yes I know every year there is something to be said about the officials. This season however seems to have been exceptionally poor.Game after game they miss obviouis calls so badly that the guys in the booth even talk about it. From some blatant pass interference calls that either don't get called or get called going the wrong way. To some textbook chop blocks that get ignored. the roughing the passer or launching into a defenseless receiver. Not to mention the spiering of running backs. It seems to happen in every game now. The NFL needs to get a handle on it before we end up with more Darryl Stingly type injuries. Hey I am all for letting the guys play but the rules need to be enforced.

At this time of year I'm more annoyed with some of the calls they DO make instead of what they let go. Solder's holding call in the Pats game was a good example. I also would have liked to see them let the holding call go against Fisher in the Steelers-Chiefs game.

It's an annual fact that the refs get scared to throw flags as the playoffs progress and the stats bear that out for this year as well.

I don't recall the exact numbers but it was something like 16 penalties averaged in the regular season, 11 point something in the wild cards and 9 point something in the last round. In other words, it's the usual arbitrary madness and it's particularly evident in the passing game where WRs are getting mugged on almost every play.

As far as the H2H hit by Sean Davis goes, he should have been suspended on the spot for the remainder of that game with another game tacked on.

Those kinds of hits are the worst thing you see in today's game and I favor a geometrical punishment for those sorts of hits deemed intentional after a thorough review. And most of them are.

One game for a first offense, then four, then a season and if the idiot does it a 4th time then you black ball him from the league.

If a Patriot does it then so be it. I hated Meriweather for that reason (among others) and he did it over and over again after we cut his ass.

The question is...are there any good refs out there doing their job? I wonder if there is a list of the refs and their stats. That would be an interesting read.

At this time of year I'm more annoyed with some of the calls they DO make instead of what they let go. Solder's holding call in the Pats game was a good example. I also would have liked to see them let the holding call go against Fisher in the Steelers-Chiefs game.

I remember when they showed the Solder play thinking, the ref HAD to have called out the wrong player's # on that one, Solder did NOTHING.
Then we have the hold on Harrison vs. KC which is legit illegal and done to about 90% of pass rushers including him 90% of the time, and never called.

I think the refs have always been bad. IMO, it's just easier to see it, with HDTV.

I honestly believe the refs are corrupt as hell. There's no way they are THAT incompetent. After all, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business and it only takes one ref to shift the course of an entire game; however the NFL wants it. I've seen it countless times with countless teams. Some are so obviously blatant that there's no way it's anything other than pure corruption.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18504218/carl-cheffers-super-bowl-li-referee

Carl Cheffers will be the referee for Super Bowl LI, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

It will be the first Super Bowl assignment as a referee for Cheffers, who joined the league as a side judge in 2000 and has been a referee since 2008.

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce said ref Carl Cheffers isn't worthy of a referee's uniform after a holding call pushed them back to the 12-yard line for what would be a failed two-point conversion.
The NFL has not yet made a formal announcement. The website Football Zebras also confirmed Cheffers' assignment.

Cheffers was the referee for the Pittsburgh Steelers' 18-16 victory Sunday night over the Kansas City Chiefs, a game that included a controversial holding penalty on Chiefs left tackle Eric Fisher. The penalty wiped out a two-point conversion that would have tied the game at 18 with two minutes, 43 seconds remaining in the game.

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce was livid about the call after the game. Referring to Cheffers' jersey number, Kelce said: "Referee No. 51 shouldn't even be able to wear a zebra jersey ever again. He shouldn't even be able to work at f---ing Foot Locker."

On Monday, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he also disagreed with the call. Reid suggested that the block looked worse than it was because Steelers linebacker James Harrison slipped in the wet conditions while engaged with Fisher.

"There are certain things you agree with and don't agree with during games,'' Reid said. "It really doesn't matter now that we're sitting here. I don't want to be fined any money but I would tell you I was probably leaning the other way. I thought Fish did what he needed to do on that particular block to get that done, and the problem is when [Harrison] slipped it can look worse than it is.

"I know Fish is going to have a lot of eyes on him for that call, and I'm not sure I completely agree with what took place, but it did. The call was made and we live with that.'"

Here are the other officials who will work the Super Bowl, assignments the NFL makes based on regular-season grades.

Umpire: Dan Ferrell

Head linesman: Kent Payne

Line judge: Jeff Seeman

Field judge: Doug Rosenbaum

Side judge: Dyrol Prioleau

Back judge: Todd Prukop

Replay official: Tom Sifferman

If the NFL wants to be to totally transparent and on the up & up then all penalties should be reviewable and should get reviewed upstairs immediately after being called. Especially when we can all see a fvck up via instant replay. It wouldn't take more than 15 seconds for upstairs to radio down and let the refs know if the call was good or not (perhaps they could add more people to the upstairs crew specifically for this job). If a call is not correct then they can correct it.

(Such as calling a shoulder to shoulder a helmet to helmet, etc)

Back