Just curious...

AnOldTroll

Russel brand
Reaction score
Gettng up in age. Just the 2 of us now. Too much yard, too much house, too much work.
Who has downsized and is happy?
And how far did you downsize and still both happy?
Gathering information.

We decided to sell our house last spring after having it built 40+ years ago for the same reasons. We thought that we would miss it terribly, but we didn't. The best time to do it is before you feel that you have to.
If you have been in your house a long time it is stressful going through the selling process, then moving and deciding what you take and what you get rid of. I can't imagine the stress doing it because you have to do it because of medical issues.

PS I don't have a shed to lock myself in anymore.

I just add one more thing. We started planning to downsize about a year and a half before we actually put the house on the market. We found a place that we felt would be right for us long before we put the house on the market. I'm glad we did because we had 8 offerers within 2 days of when we listed the house.

I literally get calls and text messages from people who want to buy my house EVERY FREAKING DAY! They tell me they need it for their family, I tell them what a coincidence, I need it for mine. I have a 1/3 acre lot, on a lake with a screened in pool. Tell me where I can get something like that for 700 a month I tell them... I've yet to get an answer to that.

I have raised the idea of selling this house and buying a condo here in Michigan and another in SW Florida. I get the "yea" for FL and a HARD "NO" on selling here in Michigan. We are younger than you I think (me 53, wife 56) and she is hell bent on staying in this house for now.

For us, the next place will be less about layout and convenience and more about proximity to where the kiddos land post college and who has puppies (kids). Florida place will need to be near beach, have pool and be warm not only for us but to attract the yet aforementioned pups.

In reality, we don't have clue yet except for the Florid place. Going down again in 2 weeks to look at more in Bonita Springs... Say a prayer as prices have gone from bad to ludicrous.

We decided to sell our house last spring after having it built 40+ years ago for the same reasons. We thought that we would miss it terribly, but we didn't. The best time to do it is before you feel that you have to.
If you have been in your house a long time it is stressful going through the selling process, then moving and deciding what you take and what you get rid of. I can't imagine the stress doing it because you have to do it because of medical issues.

PS I don't have a shed to lock myself in anymore.
If we do sell, the shed (Big Timber Framed), it's coming along

Back