• I have no idea - a toss-up - nothing would surprise me

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • The Patriots will win in a squeaker

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • The Patriots will win in a blow-out

Votes: 29 59.2%

• Total voters
I think the Pats win a blowout.

I KNOW THE EAGLES CAN WIN MIKEY. I KNOW ALREADY! SPARE ME THE LECTURE!!!

Forgive me for not having time to break-down and analyze every position and every matchup. lets just say, overall, the Pats are deeper, more experienced, and better coached. That, and the fact that every sim I've done says it will end that way......and the XBOX DOESN'T LIE! That's just my worthless opinion.

I can't get a read on this game at all. It's two coaching staffs that won't hesitate to to whip out every trick play they've got. The game could start with three onsides kicks, a flea flicker, and a direct snap to a tackle eligible lined up in the backfield.

Section306 said:
I think the Pats win a blowout.

I KNOW THE EAGLES CAN WIN MIKEY. I KNOW ALREADY! SPARE ME THE LECTURE!!!

Forgive me for not having time to break-down and analyze every position and every matchup. lets just say, overall, the Pats are deeper, more experienced, and better coached. That, and the fact that every sim I've done says it will end that way......and the XBOX DOESN'T LIE! That's just my worthless opinion.

I agree, and that's actually why I started the poll. I mean, we can have these endless threads about how it's possible that the Eagles could win, but really....

pats by 13+

I can not see this team letting down after annialating the best offence one week then punching Pitt's #1 defence in the mouth the next.

........ feb 6th we all find out once and for all :thumb:

I voted that the Pats win in a squeaker. This is going under the assumption that TO will not play.

If TO plays, I would change my vote to: The Pats win in a blowout.

Just to take credit (or blame), I'm the one that thinks eagles will win a close game. And since, so far as I can tell, this isn't about discussing matchups possible strategy and other relevant information I will say this. As an eagles fan, having watched this team this year and knowing it the way I do I can see them winning. Yes, the pats shut down the number one offence, and hung one on the number one defense. BUT. This isn't the dungy coached colts playing in the blizzard. Our QB isn't a terrified Payton Manning. Andy Reid also isn't Sergeant Slaughter who even down by 14 is still playing not to lose. The kinds of plays you made in the passing game against Pitts will not happen against us. The long bomb followed by a catch and then running into the end zone? It does not happen against this team. Period. Our corners never get beat that bad... they may get beat, everyone does at times, but they will bring you down. These are just some of the things that give me hope, and having seen what they have done this year... I have to believe in them.

-tony

tony_geekrant said:
Just to take credit (or blame), I'm the one that thinks eagles will win a close game. And since, so far as I can tell, this isn't about discussing matchups possible strategy and other relevant information I will say this. As an eagles fan, having watched this team this year and knowing it the way I do I can see them winning. Yes, the pats shut down the number one offence, and hung one on the number one defense. BUT. This isn't the dungy coached colts playing in the blizzard. Our QB isn't a terrified Payton Manning. Andy Reid also isn't Sergeant Slaughter who even down by 14 is still playing not to lose. The kinds of plays you made in the passing game against Pitts will not happen against us. The long bomb followed by a catch and then running into the end zone? It does not happen against this team. Period. Our corners never get beat that bad... they may get beat, everyone does at times, but they will bring you down. These are just some of the things that give me hope, and having seen what they have done this year... I have to believe in them.

-tony
Good post Tony, welcome to the Planet. You actually made some good points (although I still think you will be crushed like dogs).
:D
________
discuss vaporizers

tony_geekrant said:

-tony

my son's name is tony. the thing you have to realize about the Patriots is that they only went deep on the Steelers because the opportunity was there. if the Eagles have better cornerbacks (which I don't doubt), the Pats will just find some other way to win.

the one advantage the Eagles have over the Steelers and the Colts (and the Patriots in Superbowl XX) is that the Patriots haven't played them this year.

thomas144 said:
my son's name is tony. the thing you have to realize about the Patriots is that they only went deep on the Steelers because the opportunity was there. if the Eagles have better cornerbacks (which I don't doubt), the Pats will just find some other way to win.

the one advantage the Eagles have over the Steelers and the Colts (and the Patriots in Superbowl XX) is that the Patriots haven't played them this year.

Your son is a very well named individual in that case, if i do say so myself. Perhaps I should elaborate: Yes, the pats went deep against the Steelers because the opportunity was there. I'm not saying that against the eagles they will try to go long all day long in vein. I'm saying, we can at the worst limit that... at best, take it away. So now, yes, the pats will have to find another way to move the ball. Running game? Obviously a big component. I just hope no one here buys into the "eagles run defense is suspect" notion. Our d-line depth(specifically rayburn and Thomas who have been huge this year) along with Trotter at MLB and two of the hardest hitting safeties in football have allowed us to shut down or limit every potent rushing attack we have faced since the mid-point of the season. Short passing game? Meet one of the best tackling secondaries in football(and if you want to go pound for pound, it'd say the best... if you look at the overall tackling ability of the top three corners and the two safeties).

My point is this. The reason the Pats and Eagles are where they are now is because they are both extremely balanced and extremely versatile teams loaded with athletes. Having a team like this allows you to do exactly what these two teams have done, take away the other teams strength, and go at their weakness. The colts are a passing team with a suspect run D? Fine, shut down their pass and run it down their throat... the pats can do that. The Steelers are a running team with the weakest part of their defense being their seconday? Fine, pass all over them and stop the run. Your team can do this as well. So can ours. The vikes came in with a great passing attack... they got nothing. The falcons came in looking to run the ball, we shut that down and then ran on them.

Now you have the two most complete teams in the league squaring off, and that is the reason I'm so looking forward to this. Just to see what they will do. There is not an apparent weakness on either team on either side of the ball. It's pretty crazy if you think about it... both teams, go top to bottom... nothing is missing. It's pretty cool.

-tony

I'll say the Pats will win in a squeaker. I do not want to underestimate the opponent....the Eagles are one of the best NFL teams this season, and the game is being played at a neutral site. I've also read somewhere (it may or may not be true) that the Eagles fans just might outnumber the Pats fans at the game.

Anyhow, the last time I was looking foward to an easy win (Miami on Monday night), I was Sadly disapointed. I was so looking foward to a game that would be all Patriots.....and how did that work out for me?

So, Pats in a hard-fought contest, by a few scant points. But, victory, nonetheless!

I've got it at 31-10. Or maybe 31-17 if TO can actually contribute something meaningful.

I just thought I would bump this thread because I doubt that many of us are as confident today as we were as recently as last Thursday.

I don't know why exactly, but I think a lot of people are thinking the Eagles will beat the Patriots.

I think part of the problem is that they don't have any glaring strengths that need to be neutralized.

WIth the Colts, everybody figured they'd play ball-control to keep Manning off the field. That worked.

With the Steelers, everybody figured they'd stop the run to force Roethlisberger to throw the ball and make mistakes. They did, and he did.

But what exactly is the plan with the Eagles? Pretend they are a good team?

The eagles win....27-17. Is that a blowout? No. But the Eagles will win this game, being from South Jersey...Eagles fan all my life! I FEEL IT GUYS !!! IT'S our year! IT'S OUR TURN....!! THIS IS THE LONGEST WEEK... I can't believe it's only Tuesday...!

:)

PRETEND they are a good team? We are a very good team, if our guys hadn't sat out the last 2 games, we would have been 15-1. Don't underestimate us....or better yet, please do! I am so pumped for this game...IT'S OUR YEAR BABY !!! :) :) :)

The Eagles have played exactly one good team this year, and they got smoked. In the last 6 WEEKS they took 2 weeks off, had a bye, beat the Vikings, beat the Falcons, and had another bye...In other words, they haven't had to play football in over a month...I can see a 1st quarter shock and awe campaign where the Pats score 21 in about 5 minutes and take Philly out of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think Philly COULD be good, but they just don't have the experience playing at the intensity that a Patriots playoff team brings to the table.

That being said, if PHI hangs tough through the 1st quarter, it could be a tight game and go either way...

Back