Kirwan on Patriots

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
Analyst Pat Kirwan writes that Tom Brady's return is good news for the Patriots, but another key is the line in front of him.

More...

Analyst Pat Kirwan writes that Tom Brady's return is good news for the Patriots

OMFGQUOTEOFTHECENTURYBBQSALSATOASTERSTRUEDLESFULLOFWlN

Yeah obvioulsy becuase the oline had a bad superbowl two years ago, they are horrid.:rolleyes:

Interesting reads from Reiss and Kirwan. Made me think:

- McDaniels f-ed up that Super Bowl by sticking with the 3 WR sets until the 2nd half, particularly with a hobbled Brady
- 2007 was Brady's signature season: I highly doubt he will ever come close to repeating those TDs numbers again. IMO, the Pats will have to protect him more now that he's on the wrong side of 30 by running a more balanced offense....or at least they should.
- In order to beat the Pats, teams will have to sell out and attack: we will see this early against the Ryan-led Jets. Any team not employing a high risk, high reward strategy on defense (unless weather is a factor) has a bad coach.
- Instead of an explosive offense, I'm thinking the Pats will be more of a methodical juggernaut in 2009, with the occasional big play from Moss and Galloway to keep teams honest.

Interesting reads from Reiss and Kirwan. Made me think:

- McDaniels f-ed up that Super Bowl by sticking with the 3 WR sets until the 2nd half, particularly with a hobbled Brady
- 2007 was Brady's signature season: I highly doubt he will ever come close to repeating those TDs numbers again. IMO, the Pats will have to protect him more now that he's on the wrong side of 30 by running a more balanced offense....or at least they should.
- In order to beat the Pats, teams will have to sell out and attack: we will see this early against the Ryan-led Jets. Any team not employing a high risk, high reward strategy on defense (unless weather is a factor) has a bad coach.
- Instead of an explosive offense, I'm thinking the Pats will be more of a methodical juggernaut in 2009, with the occasional big play from Moss and Galloway to keep teams honest.

Yeah stupid mcdaniels went with what worked all year long, what an idiot. People need to stop looking at a game and making a general statement about what a team is. Brady was 30 when he put up 50 td's. The pats most dangerous weapon is the passing game, its not a 33 year old taylor or a trying to stay on the team maroney doing half the carries. The pass works, the oline is fine.

Yeah stupid mcdaniels went with what worked all year long, what an idiot. People need to stop looking at a game and making a general statement about what a team is. Brady was 30 when he put up 50 td's. The pats most dangerous weapon is the passing game, its not a 33 year old taylor or a trying to stay on the team maroney doing half the carries. The pass works, the oline is fine.
But who can rush the passer? :coffee:

But who can rush the passer? :coffee:

Yeah I got it the first time, yes I was worried about the pass rush of the team at one point and talked about it on this board. We get it, its funny.

Yeah I got it the first time, yes I was worried about the pass rush of the team at one point and talked about it on this board. We get it, its funny.
:blink:

Funny? You think our lack of a pass rush is funny? :mad:

No the fact that you keep saying that when I post something. Twice in a 8 post thread is a bit much.
I felt it needed emphasis. Our lack of a pass rush scares me like lightning scares a Mongol. :coffee:

I felt it needed emphasis. Our lack of a pass rush scares me like lightning scares a Mongol. :coffee:

I am sorry I had a concern about the team, obvioulsy we are a pass rushing juggernaut.

Yeah stupid mcdaniels went with what worked all year long, what an idiot.
I agree, he was too predictable and didn't adjust his strategy soon enough. He's young and hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes. I wish him luck out in Denver.

The pats most dangerous weapon is the passing game, its not a 33 year old taylor or a trying to stay on the team maroney doing half the carries. The pass works, the oline is fine.
No such thing as a free lunch. The more times Brady drops back to pass, the greater chance he is of getting hit. The more times he gets hit, the greater chance he has of suffering a game/season/career suffering injury. Brady hits the IR, the greater chance the Pats have of going home early.

They don't need to blow teams out 52-7. They just need to win games, and if that means riding the 4-headed chimera of Maroney/Morris/Taylor/Faulk, I'm fine with that. Any strategy that exposes Brady to needless injury IMO, is a poor one. Everyone else on the team is replaceable.

I agree, he was too predictable and didn't adjust his strategy soon enough. He's young and hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes. I wish him luck out in Denver.

No such thing as a free lunch. The more times Brady drops back to pass, the greater chance he is of getting hit. The more times he gets hit, the greater chance he has of suffering a game/season/career suffering injury. Brady hits the IR, the greater chance the Pats have of going home early.

They don't need to blow teams out 52-7. They just need to win games, and if that means riding the 4-headed chimera of Maroney/Morris/Taylor/Faulk, I'm fine with that. Any strategy that exposes Brady to needless injury IMO, is a poor one. Everyone else on the team is replaceable.

Its hard for me to go against what made this team 16-0. You go with what works, not what you think you are supposed to do. Running the ball last year was great, but the team didnt make the playoffs. Yes it would be great to have a running game, but this team has won superbowls without a running game and in no way do I think that is or should be this team strength.

Its hard for me to go against what made this team 16-0. You go with what works, not what you think you are supposed to do. Running the ball last year was great, but the team didnt make the playoffs. Yes it would be great to have a running game, but this team has won superbowls without a running game and in no way do I think that is or should be this team strength.

I think what we'll see is a balance of the offense of the last 2 years. I think the offense will efficient and methodical, and will average better then 30 points per game. I think that, even though they won't go undefeated this year, by the end of the season we'll insist that they are every bit as good if not better then the '07 team. The defense is going to be younger and faster, the running game will be stupid deep, and Galloway will give them great deep threats on both sides of the field.

Havign a decent running game helped the 2003/2004 defenses put up great numbers. We were able to keep the ball away from teams, like the the Colts and Manning, by controlling the time of possession, which helped our defensive stats. I'd love to see us go back to that sort of balanced attack. It just makes the whole team better.

Back