Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Then get out.

It’s beautiful out there. Take a walk.

The Murder Hornets are only in Washington state. For now...

Yep. We're headed down to the river in a bit to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. :)

Then get out.

It’s beautiful out there. Take a walk.

The Murder Hornets are only in Washington state. For now...

I do a bit but not much. 73 years old with respiratory issues...I don't wanna get sick and die without seeing Stidham kick ass next year.

Murder hornets? I tend not to watch news.

I do a bit but not much. 73 years old with respiratory issues...I don't wanna get sick and die without seeing Stidham kick ass next year.

A giant hornet has entered into the US according to some. Basically a giant armored up hornet that packs a wallop

A giant hornet has entered into the US according to some. Basically a giant armored up hornet that packs a wallop

View attachment 103901

Watch them devastate a honey bee hive. This is a true concern. Bee numbers are dwindling already.

https://youtu.be/Q4lsgCCy2_Q

Yes, of course. This virus-forced cabin fever is affecting my outlook.

The Pats already have 3 people in the organization who are ready to take over for Ossenfort. Brian Smith, Eliot Wolf and Dave Zeigler. All have plenty of experience in the personnel dept.

View attachment 103901

Watch them devastate a honey bee hive. This is a true concern. Bee numbers are dwindling already.

https://youtu.be/Q4lsgCCy2_Q

Only a concern if you feel bees are important in some way. Not to dive too far into politics but in China they pollinate by hand or by drone because the bees have all died off. If the bees die off, humans will not, the price of produce will just triple or quadruple is all. Aren't we all destined to be eating algae and insects within the next 50 years anyway due to ever increasing populations and ever decreasing available land? This will just accelerate that

:coffee::banghead::suicide:

Only a concern if you feel bees are important in some way. Not to dive too far into politics but in China they pollinate by hand or by drone because the bees have all died off. If the bees die off, humans will not, the price of produce will just triple or quadruple is all. Aren't we all destined to be eating algae and insects within the next 50 years anyway due to ever increasing populations and ever decreasing available land? This will just accelerate that

Well then. Not to worry. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Yeah, let’s just say the US government doesn’t really hold the same hammer over their citizens as China does, current events notwithstanding.

Uche is signed!

I read a really good article today that laid out the case that this draft and offseason signings by BB is specifically aimed at stopping the RPO offenses we're seeing. Phillips & Dugger as hybrid LB/SSs and Uche were key components. I can't remember where & I thought I saved it, but...nope.

I read a really good article today that laid out the case that this draft and offseason signings by BB is specifically aimed at stopping the RPO offenses we're seeing. Phillips & Dugger as hybrid LB/SSs and Uche were key components. I can't remember where & I thought I saved it, but...nope.

Good point. Speed is the key and having players that can move fast in all situations. Only one team in the AFC can run hard in the traditional way and that's the Titans. The speed merchants need a mobile, fast defense to combat them. You can see BB doing this with the selections. Good DB corp and a more mobile front 7, good stuff.

And that FA qb to emulate them on scout team!

That’s great until they meet the next version of Derrick Henry In the playoffs.

Last years defense was built quite well to stop KC. Then in January it didn’t matter at all against the Titans. Frankly it didn’t matter in November against KC because there was no talent on offense outside of three guys. The defensive plan in that Titian’s game was flat out awful though.
To win against the ravens or chiefs this def has to hold them to under 28, and really against the ravens probably less. And the def will probably be a lot worse against the run than last year. Dugger is what 24? Playing D2? He should be an athletic freak. So he’s gonna take two years to get coached up while only playing special teams and select snaps. Can Uche stop the run? He seems like a third down only guy. Didn’t they get Wino for that role? Teams are going to be running all over this def next year.
I’m hopeful Jennings and the TEs can develop, maybe one of the late round guards does. It sure seems like another wasted draft to me though.

That’s great until they meet the next version of Derrick Henry In the playoffs.

Last years defense was built quite well to stop KC. Then in January it didn’t matter at all against the Titans. Frankly it didn’t matter in November against KC because there was no talent on offense outside of three guys. The defensive plan in that Titian’s game was flat out awful though.
To win against the ravens or chiefs this def has to hold them to under 28, and really against the ravens probably less. And the def will probably be a lot worse against the run than last year. Dugger is what 24? Playing D2? He should be an athletic freak. So he’s gonna take two years to get coached up while only playing special teams and select snaps. Can Uche stop the run? He seems like a third down only guy. Didn’t they get Wino for that role? Teams are going to be running all over this def next year.
I’m hopeful Jennings and the TEs can develop, maybe one of the late round guards does. It sure seems like another wasted draft to me though.

Why do you think the run D will be worse?

DL is better.
I see DL Beau Allen as a big upgrade to Danny Shelton. Add in All Decade Lawrence Guy and Adam Butler/Byron Cowart and we should be improved on the DL. Wise is odd man out to me.

LB is a bit worse but should be a good squad could be very good.
LB Brandon Copeland has 5 years of experience, he's the size of Hightower and offers versatility to play outside or inside which allows Hightower to play wherever BB sees fit depending on the situation. Copeland played KVN's outside position with the Jets and had 27 pressures and 5 sacks last year. He won't be the KVN who left us but he's better than the KVN who came to us.
Shilique Calhoun played well and showed continuous improvement last year so he's earned more playing time.
Winovich played well as a rookie last year and deserved more snaps than he got, imo. I'm not worried about crazy Wino at all.
Ja'Whaun Bentley is going into his 3rd year and should be ready to step into Roberts' role. I see that as an equal tradeoff for Elandon Roberts. Roberts only played 20% of the snaps on D last year which reduces the impact of his loss. Bentley should take up the slack.
Jamie Collins didn't do much in run support.

Safety is much better.
Gaining safeties Adrian Phillips and Cody Davis more than makes up for losing Duron Harmon and Nate Ebner at S. Phillips missed most of 2019 to a broken arm but in 2018 (1st team All Pro) he was terrific in run support, coverage and STs. He was 3rd in defensive tackles (77) for the Chargers, tied for 2nd in passes broken up (10), and allowed only a 36.6% completion percentage (15/44) and a 44.8 quarterback rating. He covered running backs, tight ends and wide receivers one-on-one which shows how much the Chargers trusted this guy. He had 5 ints! He also had the most tackles on STs. He's a BB kind of S for sure. This kid is a perfect fit in our sub packages.
Davis is an younger version of Ebner.

Note that I didn't name a single rookie. Anything they contribute this year is a bonus to me.

I actually see an improved run D for 2020.

And that FA qb to emulate them on scout team!

The Pats' first 4 games will be against the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers and Cardinals. Either would be a great opening game. Your UDFA QB, J'Mar Smith, will come in handy on the scout team vs the Cardinals' Kyler Murray for sure. (I don't think of Wilson as a running QB).

I think it's good that the NFL chose to make the 1st 4 games for each team AFC vs NFC. No division games that really count as much towards final division standings to let teams get up to speed.

At first read I had to do a little digging.

I’d completely forgotten about Copeland. That explains the lack of LBer in the draft, though I still wish they grabbed my big sleeper Cam Brown out of Penn St.

But where my Schrute sense really pinged was the upgrade of Allen over Shelton. Had to look up Allen. I was STUNNED to see him listed as 333. Shelton looks 350. HUGE anchor(ass). Allen does not look 333. You be the judge:

View attachment 103903

I still expect a cut fattie to be added.

Secondary is excellent. Possibly best in league.

Back