Looking at the Patriots 2023

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thought that the new QB rule requires teams to have at least two QBs on the game day roster as well as an emergency designation?
That's correct. The third QB does not count against the 46 man game roster, but must play the QB only if QB #1 and #2 are hurt or cannot play.

That's correct. The third QB does not count against the 46 man game roster, but must play the QB only if QB #1 and #2 are hurt or cannot play.
So basically they are going to have to elevate one of the practice squad QBs to the active roster by game day.

So basically they are going to have to elevate one of the practice squad QBs to the active roster by game day.
Yes. I would imagine Zappe will be active most weeks.

Right. This is why someone who can provide value apart from the QB position, but who can be an emergency QB, has outsized value. You can designate them as your #2 QB, they can play whatever as needed. If your QB1 goes down you can play that person (if the game is out of reach one way or the other or there's not a huge difference) or QB2 can become unable to play.

If QB1 can't go multiple weeks, the emergency/QB3 can be QB1 the following week. Also, a recovering QB1 can be QB3 as he's easing back towards duty, so you don't need to blow an additional spot on the game day roster.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I've long thought that O'Brien would be a much better OC for Mac than McDaniels. O'Brien's college experience especially at Alabama combined with O'Brien's Patriots experience make him uniquely qualified to maximize Mac's Potential. McDaniels helped Mac build a solid foundation his rookie year, but did little to maximize Mac's strengths. I believe part of Mac's rookie wall was Josh keeping things too simple, not giving Mac enough autonomy at the line, and not mixing in plays, like RPO's, that Mac excels at.

O'Brien will modernize the offense by blending college concepts with pro concepts. There will be more motion, more RPO's, and he will empower Mac to make more decisions at the line.

Last edited:
I hate to pile on, but a couple days ago our resident BB hater doubled down on her comment that the game has passed BB by, and is being laughed at by his peers. One of those teams in not the Panthers.

Last year (2022 draft) the Pats sent their third round pick to Carolina for Carolina's 2022 4th round pick (became Bailey Zappe) and Carolina's 2023 3rd round pick (bcame Marte Mapo). With the pick they got from the Pats Carolina selected Matt Corral, whom the Pats just claimed off waivers. So Pats now have ALL the players involved in that trade.Here a Panther fan's view of the trade:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZahPnXRwg

Bill Belichick Just Fleeced the Carolina Panthers | Matt Corral

Last edited:

Her & certain fans will believe anything that fits their narrative. Got to love fans that root for Pats to Fail.
I couldn't stop laughing at this video. Corral is Zappe on a mario mushroom. Zappe went from Hero to Zero in one preseason.

View: https://youtu.be/Bp4m-WklajQ?si=66ueJGboeEJrKsZ_

Corral has a lot of problems. Upside potential is there, though, and he's certainly a change-up. Personally, I'd be surprised if he develops into anything above average. However, he is the sort of player who could get into a game or two as a backup and suddenly he's Matt Flynn in terms of bringing value back to the team. I could live with that.

Any player can only be elevated twice and revert back to the practice squad. The third time, you need to make room on the 53 for him.
Thank you. I didn’t know that.

Corral has a lot of problems. Upside potential is there, though, and he's certainly a change-up. Personally, I'd be surprised if he develops into anything above average. However, he is the sort of player who could get into a game or two as a backup and suddenly he's Matt Flynn in terms of bringing value back to the team. I could live with that.
Do you believe Zappe will be the back up to start the season or Corral?

Paywall. Can someone paste the article? This should be interesting spin.

View: https://twitter.com/cgasper/status/1698017494953300035

There was never a need for reconciliation’: Brady clan excited to return, reconnect with Patriots at opener​

By Christopher L. Gasper Globe Staff,Updated September 2, 2023, 9:00 a.m.
Tom Brady Sr. knew there would come a day when his son tossed passes for a team other than the Patriots. But he also knew there would come a day like Sept. 10, when his legendary namesake will return to New England for a hero’s welcome and to celebrate his storied and storybook career as the seminal figure in the Patriots six-ring dynasty.

No. 12 will be honored at the season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium. The Patriots are billing it as the Thank You Tom Game [sic]. Of course, commensurately thanking Tom Brady, the greatest of all time, for what he accomplished in 20 seasons as a Patriot is impossible.
Tom vs. Time has become time to pay homage to Tom. Time softens hard feelings and provides perspective.

“Just it’s almost impossible to limit what the Patriots have meant to the Brady family for the last 25 years,” said Brady Sr., who plans to be on hand with his wife, Galynn, and their daughters. “Our lives revolved around football and the Patriots were the cornerstone to that story . . . The Patriots and Tommy are in lockstep in the annals of the NFL.”
Honoring Brady will feel cathartic. A Beautiful Day to revel in the glory days.
Brady Sr. rejected the notion that there was any need for reconciliation between Brady and the Patriots. It’s all water under the Gillette Stadium bridge.

Patriots fans never got to offer Brady a proper send-off and salute. It was still a bit too raw when he returned to Foxborough in 2021 as the quarterback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, fresh off winning his seventh Super Bowl in his first season free from Fort Foxborough.

“That is just normal athletic competition,” said Brady Sr., recalling Brady’s triumphant return. “But the underlying fondness that Tommy has had for the Patriots has never wavered. The Krafts have been very good to Tommy for his whole career. There was never a need for a reconciliation. It was just a different circumstance.
“Tommy has a deep appreciation and affection for Robert Kraft. This is very nice that Mr. Kraft wants to recognize Tommy’s accomplishments with the Patriots.”

The Patriots owner said in February that he wanted Brady to retire as a Patriot via a one-day contract. It was wishful thinking from Kraft, a treacly attempt at putting a historical Band-Aid on a bad decision to effectively choose coach Bill Belichick over Brady.

Tom Sr. proved a seer, prophesizing that his son’s time with the Patriots would “end badly,” making that prescient prediction in a 2015 New York Times Magazine article.

How did he know?

“I’ve been a football fan for 70 years, and I just know how the business works and how it must work for teams to realize their successes,” said Brady Sr. “Bill Walsh used to say he would rather cut them a year early rather than a year late. Belichick was cognizant of that, too.

“If you don’t do it Bill’s way, you’re going to get the highway. You look at history and some of the great guys we had — Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, the [Mike] Vrabels — once he makes the decision it is not going to be changed. Tommy is no different than anyone else that went through the organization.”
(cont below)

(cont)
But Brady should’ve been different because he was the unparalleled pièce de résistance of a two-decade dynasty that defied NFL-mandated parity the same way Brady did the athletic actuarial tables.

A sixth-round pick who won a record seven Super Bowls, Brady’s career was defined by proving doubters wrong. Add the man who gave him his platform to that list, as Belichick is 25-26 overall since Brady’s departure.
In 2021, Brady Sr. said on Tom E. Curran’s Patriots Talk podcast that “Belichick wanted [Brady] out the door.” When asked on the podcast if he felt vindication after Brady tossed 50 touchdown passes, including the postseason, for Tampa Bay, Brady Sr. responded, “Damn right.”

Does he stand by those comments?

“Absolutely, very definitely,” he said. “Belichick had indicated Tommy was being aged out when he drafted Jimmy [Garoppolo], so it was a few years later it was obvious the franchise had turned in a different direction that didn’t include Tommy. Absolutely, I certainly do.”

There has been a rapprochement between coach and quarterback. Brady retired (again) in February and had Belichick on his podcast. The mutual appreciation was clear.

“As far as I can tell, it’s not hard to appreciate Bill Belichick as the greatest coach in NFL history, and Tommy was the beneficiary of Belichick’s expertise,” said Brady Sr. “So, I think he has nothing but appreciation for Bill.”
While the junior Brady is retired and described by dad as “at peace with his decision,” Brady Sr. remains in the workforce. He was reached in his car as he headed into his office at Thomas Brady & Associates, the insurance and financial planning firm he founded in 1978.
Is there any chance his son, who played until age 45 as promised, could return to work? Brady’s first retirement lasted only 40 days before returning for the 2022 season.

“You know, you never can say never,” said Brady Sr. “But I don’t think his heart is in football right now, given the fact for 25 years all he did every day was throw the football and work out. I don’t know that he’s thrown the football in eight months.

“I would be shocked if he did [unretire]. On the other hand, I think if he decided he wanted to do it he could get off the couch and be great.”

The Bradys are in the dark about the halftime ceremony to honor the iconic QB like the rest of us. Tom Sr. said he and Galynn have no idea what the Foxborough fete will entail. They plan on acting like Patriots players — told where to go and what to do.

A few years ago, Brady Sr. said he had ditched his Patriots gear. “I might sneak into the Pro Shop and get something,” he said, chuckling.

The Bradys are in the dark about the halftime ceremony to honor the iconic QB like the rest of us. Tom Sr. said he and Galynn have no idea what the Foxborough fete will entail. They plan on acting like Patriots players — told where to go and what to do.

A few years ago, Brady Sr. said he had ditched his Patriots gear. “I might sneak into the Pro Shop and get something,” he said, chuckling.

This isn’t just a homecoming for the incomparable QB. It’s a homecoming for the Brady family. They spent two decades sharing their Tommy and a bond with New England sports fans.
“We’re just really excited and looking forward to being there,” said Brady Sr. “It will be a wonderful night for Tommy and a wonderful night for the fans that have come to cherish and root for him so wholeheartedly over the last 20 years.”

Welcome back, Tom(s). Can’t wait to see you back where you belong.

Thank you, HS. Sounds like Tom Sr. thinks the affection between Tom Jr. and Kraft is still there as is the respect, but no affection, for Belichick.
Exactly as I have thought since his departure.

Any player can only be elevated twice and revert back to the practice squad. The third time, you need to make room on the 53 for him.
Going to be interesting to see how they use this option, I wouldn't be shocked to see different backups based on match ups.

Do you believe Zappe will be the back up to start the season or Corral?
That would be the logical move at least to start with. Regardless, what's most exciting is that we have no idea how he's going to utilize player packages and adjustments, they didn't tip there hands at all in the pre season. Hell, the fact the they will actually have adjustments this year should make everyone feel good.

From Mike R.

Quick-hit thoughts and notes around the New England Patriots and NFL:

1. Rhamondre-Zeke combo: When running back Rhamondre Stevenson was preparing for the 2021 NFL draft, he was working alongside Ezekiel Elliott. The two shared the same Dallas-based athletic trainer, J. Hicks, and a vision for what potentially could be.

“I was hoping to play with him,” Stevenson said, “but we never thought it would actually happen.”

A little more than two years later, it has surprisingly unfolded just like they once talked about. Now, all Stevenson has to do is turn around in the Patriots’ locker room to see Elliott, who has taken up residence in former Patriot Damien Harris’ old corner stall leading into the team’s weight room.

No wonder Stevenson has been smiling so much in recent weeks. He’s long admired Elliott.

“It goes back to his Ohio State days. His versatility was unmatched to me,” Stevenson said. “He could do it all -- pass block, catch the ball, run hard, just the whole 9 [yards]. And he’s a bigger back, like me.”

One intriguing question, which is especially timely as fantasy football managers go through drafts leading into the opening week of the regular season, is how head coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien plan to split the workload between the two.

Belichick has notably spent time talking with both running backs on the practice field in recent weeks. And while there will be some level of a rotation in play, the Patriots’ traditional offense, which O’Brien is bringing back in part, also has a “pony” grouping that puts two running backs on the field at the same time.

Stevenson, who led the team with 1,040 yards on 210 carries (5.0 YPC) last season, is ready to adapt to whatever the coaching staff deems best.

“If you asked me this a couple years back, my answer would be different. Back then, in high school and juco [junior college], I had to get the ball and get going, and get some carries under my belt,” he said. “But I think since I went to Oklahoma, I’ve learned you just have to make the most of every opportunity. No matter how many times you get the ball, even if that’s your only play, you make the most of it.”

Stevenson, who at 6-foot, 227 pounds has a similar makeup to the 6-foot, 228-pound Elliott, says he believes there is potential for a potent 1-2 punch.

“I think the changeup of me and him just going in the game -- even if it’s drive by drive or [snap by snap], however it goes -- is going to be difficult for the defense,” he said.

Since Elliott officially signed a one-year contract with the Patriots on Aug. 16, the two have grown closer, along with the Patriots’ other running backs.

“We’ve all been getting together the last two weeks, just hanging out. Dinner, bowl, go to each other’s houses, things like that,” Stevenson said, before sharing what he’s learned most about Elliott football-wise:

“He’s very hard-working. I kind of knew that before, but just the way he approaches the game and how he’s a student of the game, he knows a lot about football as a whole. He’s been in all of our ears, being a helping hand. He’s a veteran, so hearing what he has to say about certain plays, certain schemes, certain runs, it’s great to have him in there.”

5. Onwenu’s fit: In November, Belichick said the Patriots never had anticipated playing Mike Onwenu at right tackle as a rookie in 2020, only doing so because the team got into a bind. Belichick & Co. maintain he’s built to play right guard, but the current uncertainty of which offensive line personnel might be ready for opening day could force the team to consider Onwenu at right tackle early in the season. The 6-foot-3, 350-pound Onwenu came off the physically unable to perform list last week (offseason ankle surgery), and Belichick seemed to leave the door open that he could get some work on the edge.

6. Will it Hurts? Few give the Patriots a chance in the season opener against the defending NFC champion Eagles, but for those looking for an area the team might have an edge, consider this: Philadelphia’s Jalen Hurts was one of eight starting quarterbacks not to play in the preseason, and of the 11 Week 1 starting quarterbacks in 2022 who didn’t play in the preseason, their teams had a combined record of 3-8 in last season's opening games, per ESPN Stats & Information research.

Back