Malik Cunningham, QB...the Next Edelman Convert?

Cunningham, who started 47 games at Louisville, is undersized for an NFL quarterback at just under 6 feet and 192 pounds, and he posted some uninspiring passing stats last season: 62.4% completion rate, 1,568 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions in 10 games. He’s a superb athlete, though, with a 40-yard dash time that ranked in the 95th percentile among QBs and a 10-yard split that ranked in the 97th, and he was a productive rusher throughout his college career. Cunningham led all FBS quarterbacks in rushing yards in 2021 (1,031) and rushed for 32 touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Pelissero reported before the draft that Cunningham told teams he was “willing to do whatever it takes to get on the field and help a team win,” suggesting he’s open to a possible position change. Could we see the 24-year-old take reps at wideout once OTAs begin next month?

It’s worth noting the Patriots brought in another undersized undrafted QB with multipositional potential last year (D’Eriq King) and cut him within a matter of weeks. But Cunningham’s contract should keep him with the team at least through training camp.

Last edited:
The dimensions a player like this could give this offense are very attractive to me. I know he can run and throw, can he catch? Imagine this offense, run by an actual OC with Mac getting the ball out quickly and accurately to this guy.

He could...
  • Take a forward pass and use his athleticism to get YAC.
  • Take a lateral/backward pass and either run with blockers or throw.
  • Line up behind/side Mac and either take a handoff or the snap and then run or pass it.
  • Take and then throw a double pass from/to Mac.
  • Run the option either with or without Mac on the field.

God the possibilities are endless. I know at best he'll probably end up as a scout QB for when we play mobile QBs, but still a man can dream.

The dimensions a player like this could give this offense are very attractive to me. I know he can run and throw, can he catch? Imagine this offense, run by an actual OC with Mac getting the ball out quickly and accurately to this guy.

He could...
  • Take a forward pass and use his athleticism to get YAC.
  • Take a lateral/backward pass and either run with blockers or throw.
  • Line up behind/side Mac and either take a handoff or the snap and then run or pass it.
  • Take and then throw a double pass from/to Mac.
  • Run the option either with or without Mac on the field.

God the possibilities are endless. I know at best he'll probably end up as a scout QB for when we play mobile QBs, but still a man can dream.
good point about being a scout QB
odds are probably that he isn't quite WR material, but we can dream. bringing in a really good athlete to see what he can do can't hurt, and pats though enough of him to throw in that $$ so lets see how it plays out. I do not expect him to challenge for an actual QB spot (or they would have drafted him late if Pats or anyone saw him as that) but he would be a great threat in the examples you outlined :toast:

odds are probably that he isn't quite WR material, but we can dream. bringing in a really good athlete to see what he can do can't hurt, and pats though enough of him to throw in that $$ so lets see how it plays out. I do not expect him to challenge for an actual QB spot (or they would have drafted him late if Pats or anyone saw him as that) but he would be a great threat in the examples you outlined :toast:
He's way more slot WR than he's QB...although he could be the scout.

It's truly amazing how many QBs are converted to WR. Very few WR ever become QBs.

Cunningham has all of the traits. Catching the football just takes committed practice and desire. Edelman is the perfect example and will be in the NFL HOF without even a mention that he was a converted QB.

To be fair I got that scout team thing from the duders on the Pats subreddit. But, it is indeed a nice idea.

Back