Man Wants His Kidney Back

king of kings

Grammar offender
Reaction score
Divorce man 'wants kidney back'

Some divorce lawyers say a kidney is not a marital asset to be divided
A US man divorcing his wife is demanding that she return the kidney he donated to her or pay him $1.5m (£1m) in compensation.

Dr Richard Batista told reporters that he decided to go public because he was frustrated at the slow pace of divorce negotiations with his estranged wife.

He said he had not only given his heart to his wife, Dawnell, but donated his kidney to save her life.

But divorce lawyers say a donated organ is not a marital asset to be divided.

Dr Batista married Dawnell in 1990 and donated the kidney to her in 2001. She filed for divorce in 2005 and a settlement has still not been reached.

'Betrayal'

He told reporters at his lawyer's office in Long Island, New York, that going public was a last resort.

I felt humiliated, betrayed, disrespected and disregarded

Dr Richard Batista
"There is no deeper pain that you can ever express than betrayal from somebody who you love and devoted your life to," he said.

He said he had been prevented from seeing their three children for extended periods.

"I felt humiliated, betrayed, disrespected and disregarded for me as a person, as a man, as a husband, as a father."

Dr Batista's lawyer, Dominic Barbara, said his client was "asking for the value of the kidney" that he gave his wife.

A lawyer for Mrs Batista said: "The facts aren't as represented by Dr Batista. We will be addressing the issues before the judge within the next few days."

Wow. And I thought losing your house in a divorce would suck.

Actually to be fair he wasn't demanding the actual kidney back, he's asked for 1.5 million $$ as part of the divorce settlement as what he estimates the value to be.

Still...... hell of a thing to fight over.

it sounds pretty bad, but I can see where he's coming from. The guy gives his wife a kidney, saving her life. Then she goes running around behind his back. He should get the 1.5 million, at least. But he won't, he'll end up paying her all kinds of money in the settlement...

it sounds pretty bad, but I can see where he's coming from. The guy gives his wife a kidney, saving her life. Then she goes running around behind his back. He should get the 1.5 million, at least. But he won't, he'll end up paying her all kinds of money in the settlement...

I can totally see his point also....he saves her life so she can cheat on him. She obviously is getting a big settlement if they are trying to lower it by 1.5 mill.

It is a sad world when you can run around cheating on someone you took vows with and still take them for half their money....and in this case half of the guys kidney's also...

Frankly I hope this lady is ready for the Karma payback on this.

Speaking of stolen kidney's...it is almost time for LOST!!!

In the statement, Lopez says, "Being an organ donor is selflessly giving another person the gift of life. Organ donation is an act of compassion, humanity, and love.

I guess stepping out on your spouse is filed under that same category? No fvcking way am I giving a mother effa my organs if they weren't worth it. And someone who does that is not within the boundaries of compassion, humanity, and love.

Speaking of stolen kidney's...it is almost time for LOST!!!

First thing I thought of :thumb:

I'm sorry, but I'd be pissed as hell. I might not get my kidney back, but I'd hurt the POS so that their kidneys were deemed worthless. A systolic of <80 mm/hg will kill the kidneys. Maybe just stab at the one I gave them, another option. :shrug:

;)

I just read Geoge lopez wife is not happy about this story
A NY doctor who's demanding the return of the kidney he donated to his adultery-committing ex-wife suddenly has a brand new enemy -- George Lopez's wife!

Ann Lopez, who once donated one of her kidneys to save George's life, has fired off a statement, crushing the Kidneyian Giver – aka Dr Richard Batista – for the "outrageous demand" he made in the New York media. Batista – who found out about his wife's affair after he donated the organ -- demanded his wife return the kidney or fork over $1.5 million ASAP.

In the statement, Lopez says, "Being an organ donor is selflessly giving another person the gift of life. Organ donation is an act of compassion, humanity, and love. To ask for monetary compensation for this gift is not only illegal but sends a highly destructive and irreparable message about living organ donation to the public.

Good, because I was wondering what George Lopez's wife was thinking about things!

Back