Mangini is making a huge mistake.

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
No, I'm not saying that because I'm pissed he's gone but hear me out before you think this is some mindless, bitter rant.

This dude is 34 years old. Thats YOUNGER than Rodney Harrison, who still plays!:eek: This guy was nothing untill 2001 where he was promoted to the secondary position, as a position coach. And he has had, count em, ONE year of experience as an NFL assistant. In a year where quite a few questioned his calls.

Now see, thats not the only thing because keep in mind..I really do think Mangini will be a good one, and I really do think he has potential to be something great. But he is so young, so inexperienced..And worst of all, he has to re-build NY from the ground up.

His OL is in shambles, his QB's career is completely unknown, he has no RB, and his best DL player will hit the road soon. And uh, a decent Ty Law will be gone as well. Folks, that is CLEARLY a freaking huge re-building job. ECSPECIALLY because oh who is in his division. Saban and BB? The Pats and the improving Fins? This really is going to be a disaster.

You see, recently I was in a heated debate with a NY fan who agued with me how Andy Reid did an awesome job when he was only a position coach as well. Well consider this. Andy Reid went to a team that had two huge benefits. The Redskins were garbage, Dallas was and still is a mess, and the Giants were in a season that ever since they've spiraled down from. He also went into a FO that does not mistakes, and is commited to winning.

What is Mangini going into? The AFC East, where the Dolphins and Patriots are. To a complete circus act of a FO. How does this compare? There are far to many factors to say it will be the same. But lets consider another thing.

Mangini is in New York. He needs to re-build. Well guess what, NY has NO patience to wait, they have NO patience to see failure that they've seen for many years now. This dude has taken a complete pressure packed job, and he has very little to work with. I'm sorry to any optimistic Jets fan, but this man is walking into a fire.

and IMO, he made a dumb move. Why? Because folks, if he waited ONE more year, and lets say..The Patriots won another one next season, defense stayed healthy and was top 5 all year. Do you realize how insane his stock would rise? Just like crennel and Weis' did? This man would go wherever he damn well pleased. And he'd have a chance to stay the hell out of the east.

You know what I honestly see right now? I see a young HC taking on a complete re-building job against a very good Dolphins team, and a dynasty. He is also in a city that will absolutely not wait. This move, IMHO, could very well be Belichick in Cleveland all over again. Think about how bad BB was burned in freaking Cleveland. Now imagine NY? Exactly. This move has two things written all over it.

Desperation and disaster.

Desperation of the Jets to touch whatever BB has graced, and disaster making a young, inexperienced coach take on the re-building job of a life time. You'll see folks, this man will be out of NY in two years. You'll see...Mark my words.

I agree with everything you said except for the length of his HC term. I say 3 years at least. And then he's passed over for another HC job for 5 to 8 years. Unless he comes back here. It's a shame. A terrible, terrible shame. :(

But I'll bet the the Bills fans are feeling good about it. :D

#54 said:
I agree with everything you said except for the length of his HC term. I say 3 years at least. And then he's passed over for another HC job for 5 to 8 years. Unless he comes back here. It's a shame. A terrible, terrible shame. :(

But I'll bet the the Bills fans are feeling good about it. :D

He and BB are great friends, and BB probably has 5+ years left in the tank. Plenty of eyars for BB to take him back, groom him some more, then pass the team onto him.

I agree.

Watch, though -- next year they'll go 6-10 or 7-9 or something and he'll get lots of praise. They're BUILDING, they'll say.

Mark my words -- the AFC East has a REALLY soft schedule next year, and the Jets softest of all. We play the pathetic AFC South (two bad teams) and NFC North (ditto). Turmoil (read: new coaches) in Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Buffalo, Raiders (also on Jets schedule). That's SIX of their sixteen games.

The next year, they're unlikely to do any better because the schedule will only get harder.

Jets are in bad shape. Won't be pretty for Eric. Oh well, God forbid that I get a tough $2+M job to suck at for a couple years before going to work for my choice of Belichick, Saban, Crennell etc. :D

Imitation... the sincerest form of flattery

I suspect Mangini is going to fail ugly, but will learn and recover from it. Belichick did OK as a new HC in Cleveland, but got rode out of town on a rail by a bad front office and owner. Mangini's turn. It did work out for Belichick in the long run.

Anyway, the Patriots and Jets have done well following the Parcells - Belichick line of coaching. I can sort of understand where the Jets are coming from. It seems rather desperate, though.

Meanwhile, the Bills are in coach search mode. Who else is out there from the Parcells coaching tree? With Saban in Miami, we might as well flood the whole division with the same flavor of Kool Aid.

I have one concern. As Parcells tree coaches have migrated back and forth between Foxboro and the Meadowlands the last few decades, the team that watched the coaches go has been at a disadvantage for a few years. The turncoat coaches know all the tendencies and weaknesses of the players they recently coached, and scheme appropriately. Over all, I will take the Master over the Student. I don't fear for the Patriots that much. Still, I'd expect the Jets to do better against the Patriots than they do against the rest of the league. Hopefully, this means they will only look bad against the Patriots, while they look really bad against most everyone else.

Michael Felger agrees:

A coordinated effort: Fast-acting Pats may see upgrade
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Insider
Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - Updated: 02:10 AM EST

Think the Patriots are confident in their ability to replace Eric Mangini?

It took all of 27 seconds (OK, 62 minutes) for the Pats to do it yesterday, moving with unprecedented speed and public acknowledgement in naming linebackers coach Dean Pees as their new defensive coordinator just after Mangini took the podium to accept the Jets’ head coaching job.

Don’t be surprised if it turns out to be an upgrade.

Here’s a guarantee: The Pats can finish 26th in total defense, 31st against the pass and 17th in points allowed with Mangini (as they did in 2005), and they can do it with Pees. If the Pats add the right personnel in the secondary this spring, they’ll probably be better no matter who is calling the signals.

The Jets reached badly with Mangini. Regardless of what anyone says publicly, the majority of players in Foxboro will tell you the 34-year-old (he turns 35 tomorrow) first-year coordinator is not ready to be a “leader of men.” He has no offensive experience and doesn’t even have all his chops down on defense. The difference in readiness between Mangini and the two coordinators the Pats lost last year — Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis — is gaping.

Contrary to what’s been reported, Bill Belichick didn’t try to talk Mangini out of anything. There is no bad blood as far as the Patriots are concerned, although Belichick can’t be thrilled about losing a longtime assistant and a bright young mind. All things being equal, the Pats would rather have Mangini than not.

But it’s hard to see how this is bad news for the Pats.

Look at the AFC East. The Bills have given over their operation to someone grossly outdated, 80-year-old general manager Marv Levy, and the Jets have given the reins to someone strikingly inexperienced. Only the Dolphins and Nick Saban (another Belichick guy) have a program that appears on solid ground, but until they address their quarterback situation it’s hard to take them seriously.

The Jets’ most glaring needs are on offense. They have big-time question marks at quarterback (Chad Pennington’s rotator cuff), running back (Curtis Martin’s age), center (Kevin Mawae’s injury) and left tackle (ditto for Jason Fabini). Mangini has exactly one year of offensive experience, which came nine years ago when he was a low-level assistant (i.e., gopher) for the Baltimore Ravens.

And Mangini makes sense for the Jets how?

Pees’ ascension was a foregone conclusion. If Belichick has proven anything over his six years in New England, it’s that he keeps his coordinator positions firmly within his circle of trust. Either you have extensive experience in his system elsewhere, or you learn directly under his tutelage. Outsiders need not apply.

Just look at what happened last year on offense. Weis left a tremendous void when he took over at Notre Dame, but the last thing Belichick was about to do was bring in a new coordinator and change up the system. Instead, Belichick went without one, leaving most of the duties up to in-house quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels. It’s entirely possible McDaniels won’t even get the coordinator title this year. Belichick, who spent 11 years in the NFL before he got his first coordinator job, and 17 years in the league before he got his first head coaching stint, likes to see his assistants work for everything they get.

Mangini goes to the Jets having been a positional assistant for six years and a coordinator for one.

Pees represents the opposite end of the spectrum. At 56, he’s three years older than Belichick. He’s been a head coach, albeit at a second-tier collegiate program (Kent State, 1998-2003). Most importantly, he was Saban’s defensive coordinator at Michigan State (1995-97) and he ran elements of the Belichick-Saban defense at Kent State.

Pees lacks only one thing: NFL experience (two years). Despite that, players report that Pees is a respected presence and is clearly comfortable in a leadership role.

In picking Pees, Belichick passed over defensive line coach Pepper Johnson. The former Pro Bowl linebacker is a valuable positional assistant, a motivator among young players and a vocal, energetic presence on the practice field. But is he ready to take over the scheming elements involved in coordinating? Apparently not.

Meanwhile, the Pats may have to expend more energy replacing Mangini as secondary coach than coordinator. The Pats don’t have to go outside if they don’t want to, but they still may. When Mangini was given coordinator duties last year, Belichick brought aboard former Miami assistant coach Joel Collier to serve as an assistant in the defensive backfield. However, the vast majority of Collier’s 15 NFL seasons has been on offense. And after being given the Dolphins offensive coordinator position three years ago, Collier mysteriously turned it down. Collier has never been a full-time, solo positional assistant on defense. Time will tell if Belichick gives him that responsibility with the Pats.

Mangini will probably fail but at least he will get some coaching experience.

Many coaches fail in their first shot at Head Coach, so if Mangini fails with the Jets, he's young enough that I'm sure he'll get another shot. I don't know the guy, so I can't say whether he's ready to lead or not. What I can say is that almost anyone with balls would take that job if it was offered to them. I think it's absolutely the right decision for him, and time will tell if it's the right decision for the Jets.

From personal experience, getting promoted and staying in the same organization is sometimes harder than getting promoted and going to a new organization. When going to a new company, you get a certain amount of respect (from most people) simply by holding the title, (and it's easier to start out tough if needed). When you get promoted and stay in the same organization, the interpersonal (sp) relationships take some time to get sorted out.
________
Mercedes-Benz W219

I agree with the premise of your argument BP but the fact is if you are Eric Mangini, it's tough to turn down that kind of money and opportunity. We all saw how long it took for Crennel and Weis to get their opportunities.

I don't fault Mangini for taking the job but it is not an ideal job for a first time head coach by any means.

The Jets are the ones that really blew it here though. I understand the thinking......you pull the DC away from your division rival, a Belichick study with a lot of potential. The problem is they hired him to be a head coach and lead their franchise long before he is ready for that kind of responsibility.

If we believe everything we hear from the media, Mangini had a tough enough time just running the Pats defense this season. How the hell is the guy going to run an entire team?

I think Mangini made the right choice for his family, which is what we'd all do if given that kind of opportunity.

He's going to make over $10 million, regardless of how long he is there or how successful he is.

If you were offered a job that you knew you weren't qualified for, would you take it? I would, especially if I would be getting a 500% increase in salary.

BionicPatriot said:
This dude is 34 years old. Thats YOUNGER than Rodney Harrison, who still plays!:eek:

I agree with much of what you say on substance, but this is incorrect. Mangini is almost two years older than Harrison. Mangini was born in Janary of 1971, while Harrison was born in December 1972.

Re: Re: Mangini is making a huge mistake.

Pats and Sox said:
I agree with much of what you say on substance, but this is incorrect. Mangini is almost two years older than Harrison. Mangini was born in Janary of 1971, while Harrison was born in December 1972.

Haha..woops. My bad..:D

Back