Mayo says its an honor

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
In Jerod Mayos first conversation with reporters after the Patriots selected him 10th overall in Aprils NFL Draft, he admitted winning the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year was a goal of mine. Today, after a steady and sometimes spectacular...

More...

Mayo said:
"For the most part, [I'll spend the offseason] here in Foxborough trying to get better," he said. "Football is my life. I love football. I'm going study this season, figure out things that I can improve on, and do what I can to get better."
I love this kid!

Mayo said multiple times that he considers this a "team award" and added that he was grateful that the team's veterans, particularly Bruschi, were so willing to provide knowledge and advice. Mayo said even after Bruschi was sidelined with a knee injury and missed the final three games, he kept the 13-year veteran's advice at hand, mostly through text messages.

"Coming out of college, I had heard horror stories about coming in as a rookie -- guys really wouldn't help you," Mayo said. "I came into the Patriots organization thinking the worst, that these guys weren’t going to help me and they aren't going to want me to play, but it was the exact opposite.

"When I first walked through the door Bruschi was there, [Tom] Brady -- they sat me down and welcomed me. They told me if I needed anything to holler at them and we exchanged numbers. From that day forward the older guys like Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, [Mike] Vrabel, Adalius Thomas -- all of those guys have really taken me under their wing and I tried to learn as much as I can from them, how to be a professional, on and off the field."
My favorite part. Really speaks to one of the primary reasons for the team's success year-in, year-out - the culture of the locker room.

"For the most part, [I'll spend the offseason] here in Foxborough trying to get better," he said. "Football is my life. I love football. I'm going study this season, figure out things that I can improve on, and do what I can to get better."

OMG its luv....:heart: I am SOO stoked for next year already.

OMG its luv....:heart: I am SOO stoked for next year already.

Yeah he said the same thing to Pat Kerwin on the way home on the radio. He said he wants to stick around and learn more about the things he did right and wrong. Thats great stuff.

I have a feeling that he has a few other goals he wants to achieve.

Congrats Mayo!

My favorite part. Really speaks to one of the primary reasons for the team's success year-in, year-out - the culture of the locker room.

I love that part too. Before the draft, I was really hoping the Pats would draft a good linebacker, simply because the Pats had the great veteran linebackers who could help him learn. And it must have helped.

I love that part too. Before the draft, I was really hoping the Pats would draft a good linebacker, simply because the Pats had the great veteran linebackers who could help him learn. And it must have helped.

I was Hoping they would Draft Kieth Rivers. I'm very happy I was wrong. Mayo will be a great Linebacker for the pats this year.

Trust Box_O_Rocks draftnikking, he's usually wrong, but when he's right...Mankins, Mayo. :thumb:

Those are two great pickups for the pats. I been wrong on who the pats will take for years in the first round. The last one I got right was in 2004 when I wanted them to draft Vince Wilfork.

Mayo is a bonafide 'stud' linebacker and his future should be awesome to watch. Anyone wonder how this year's draft may pan out without Pioli?

Back