McDaniels' comments on Tebow

Gatorfan

Reaction score
Many folks have expressed their opinions on Tebow's future or lack of one once training camp is over. Many have said he will be or should be turned into a receiver rather than a QB. While I don't personally agree, I respect the opinions. What I have been surprised at is the seeming lack of comments after McDaniels came out over the weekend and said that Tim is being worked as a QB, and not in any other role. Perhaps I simply have not found the right thread. I am curious to hear what others take away from this.

Many folks have expressed their opinions on Tebow's future or lack of one once training camp is over. Many have said he will be or should be turned into a receiver rather than a QB. While I don't personally agree, I respect the opinions. What I have been surprised at is the seeming lack of comments after McDaniels came out over the weekend and said that Tim is being worked as a QB, and not in any other role. Perhaps I simply have not found the right thread. I am curious to hear what others take away from this.

You're not going to find much reaction about a 3rd string QB fighting to make a roster. Sorry. Why would any coach talk about such a player at all?

I, even as a Tebow fan, don't expect to see Tebow seeing much action this year. If he does, I would be pleasantly surprised. Brady is locked in as the starting QB and rightfully so. Mallet has struggled but, unless he really fails to meet BB's expectations, he is Brady's backup.

McDaniels clearly stated why he has Tebow running routes and catching the ball. McDaniels knows Tebow's strengths and weaknesses and he is working on both. No I don't see him as a receiver. In the minds of Belichick and McDaniels, Tebow is a Quarterback. Perhaps a options Quarterback.

Observations from fifth practice
By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com
"Tim Tebow had his best day of work in training camp, showing steady improvement from recent performances. He showed good arm strength and accuracy on throws down the field, and looks to be more decisive with each live rep. In addition, the team walked through some read option work early in practice, something Tebow's movement skills can be used in. From afar, it seems as if Tebow's work with offensive assistant coach Brian Daboll is paying early dividends."

When Patriots quarterback Tim Tebow caught some passes in training camp, it led to speculation that the Patriots were considering playing Tebow at running back or tight end. But Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said people read too much into that.
According to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com, McDaniels said the drill was really just designed to give Tebow some work on open-field running, which Tebow would do at times if he takes the field at quarterback.

Imo, the most TT fans will see of him during the regular season may be a few read option plays late in games when the outcome has been decided. Possibly a deception play or 2 w/ both TB and TT on the field together in the right situation against a dumb defense. Personally, I only expect to see TT in pre-season games but with McDaniels at OC, I'm surprised at nothing.

TT's contract for the 2nd yr is heavily tilted to playing time for $$. If he wants playing time next year with the Patriots, QB may not be his best position.

I just don't see how he makes the roster.

We've had 2 QBs and PS guys of late.

Mallett doesn't even get snaps so how many would Tebow get?

Regardless of how it shakes out, our WR corps is young and inexperienced so an extra roster spot can and should be devoted there.

Injuries and releases have caused the same situation at TE.

And with all the youth in the passing game if we're going to be a more run oriented squad at least initially then keeping all the RBs makes sense as well.

Tebow is a luxury this roster just can't afford right now.

I just don't see how he makes the roster.

We've had 2 QBs and PS guys of late.

Mallett doesn't even get snaps so how many would Tebow get?

Regardless of how it shakes out, our WR corps is young and inexperienced so an extra roster spot can and should be devoted there.

Injuries and releases have caused the same situation at TE.

And with all the youth in the passing game if we're going to be a more run oriented squad at least initially then keeping all the RBs makes sense as well.

Tebow is a luxury this roster just can't afford right now.

This is certainly a consideration and on merit TT probably wouldn't make the team. BUT...I strongly believe BB will be very reluctant to embarrass TT by cutting him outright.

How would cutting Tim Tebow be embarrassing? Bill Belichick has cut far more productive players than Tim Tebow.

If he isn't good enough to make the team, he gets cut. The end.

You're going to have to dig deeper than that, Chevs. That ain't cuttin' it

You guys are missing the new more humane BB, aren't you?
BB likes TT. Cutting TT would be akin to handling him no differently than the Jets did. That would reflect on BB. It would also embarrass TT. BB won't do that. (He'd rather put Harrison on IR.)

IF BB let's TT go, BB will make sure TT has an NFL job lined up. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. I think I'm right, too. :harumph:

BB likes TT. Cutting TT would be akin to handling him no differently than the Jets did. That would reflect on BB. It would also embarrass TT. BB won't do that. (He'd rather put Harrison on IR.)

Actually, no. The Jets just put him on the bench all year. Cutting Tebow by the end of camp actually gives him an opportunity to hook on somewhere else.

IF BB let's TT go, BB will make sure TT has an NFL job lined up. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. I think I'm right, too. :harumph:

He likes Lawyer Milloy too. Just sayin' :coffee:

Actually, no. The Jets just put him on the bench all year. Cutting Tebow by the end of camp actually gives him an opportunity to hook on somewhere else.

He likes Lawyer Milloy too. Just sayin' :coffee:

1. BB will make sure that opportunity is waiting. :wink:

2. Milloy wore out his welcome with $$ demands ala Big Sey. :wave:

1. BB will make sure that opportunity is waiting. :wink:

2. Milloy wore out his welcome with $$ demands ala Big Sey. :wave:

Milloy wasn't demanding any money, he was under contract. The Patriots demanded he take a pay cut on his salary one week before the season started.

:blink:

Are you really advocating for the retention of a player who offers no roster value purely because being cut would make him feel bad? Or maybe some idiot somewhere would think poorly of Bill (God only knows why)?

If The Patriots give Tim a legitimate shot at earning a spot and he fails to capitalize on it, Bill will cut him with a clean conscience. They have to jettison at least 35 players in the next 30 days, surely some of them are likeable, hard-working guys as well, no? Why doesn't Bill give a shit about any of them? If anything, Tim has more post-NFL opportunities than any other fringe player.

The Jet comparison makes no sense either. NE's QB position is far more stable and Tebow appears to be getting plenty of opportunities to prove his value, something that didn't happen that we know of in NY. The vast majority of people - even BB haters - wouldn't even register it, other than to wonder what was next for Tim.

If Tebow makes the roster it will be because he has demonstrated something of value, be it STs, a practice mobile QB or even pure developmental QB. Not because Bill is afraid hurting Timmy's feelings.

Back