McGinest Tribute Thread

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Willie McGinest leaves the Patriots as #5 on the all-time list for regular season games played for the Patriots (171) and #2 on the all-time regular season Pats sacks list (78). McGinest had a Lazarus-eth resurrection (remember when he was on 2002 expansion draft list?) of his career in the post-Carroll days that has led to the tremendous popularity he enjoys now in Patriots nation, but there are 3 things I'll always remember Big Willie for:
1) The oddly disproportionate amount of BIG PLAYS he was involved in at crucial moments. Whether it was stuffing E James on a 4th & 1 in Indy, the 4 sacks against Jacksonville, or the mostly forgotten Manning sack at the end of the 2004 opener that pushed Vanderjagt just out of gimme range, McGinest was one of a handful of Pats defensive players you could almost count on for a big play when one was needed.

2) During the last 5 years in particular, the incredible football smarts he displayed on the field. Part of his smarts was his unselfishness - just one example I didn't know about until today:

Alan Greenberg, Hartford Courant
http://www.courant.com/sports/footb...16,0,2330870.story?coll=hc-headlines-football
He declined coach Bill Belichick's offer to move from left outside linebacker to right outside linebacker, which Belichick suggested because it would have helped shield McGinest's injury. One of the reasons McGinest said no was that teammate Rosevelt Colvin was already comfortable playing on the right side, and he didn't want to mess that up.

3) His presence. You take one look at the guy and you know you're looking at someone who is comfortable in a leadership position. He learned from Armstrong and has hopefully passed along the "team-first" attitude to guys like Brady, Branch, and Seymour (the early returns are promising). He set the tone in the Pats locker room for years:

Jackie MacMullan, Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../23/sack_leader_is_a_sacrifice_leader?mode=PF
The first thing we let guys know when they come here is, `It's not about you,' " McGinest said. "It's about the team. We're spokes on a wheel. Everyone understands that. And if they don't, they learn real quick."

"When someone comes in and makes some comments we're not used to, or does things the way they maybe did on another team -- like San Diego -- Willie and I use that as ammunition," explained linebacker Tedy Bruschi. "We hold onto that ammunition for three years -- or more. We don't let anything go."

When Rodney Harrison came over as a free agent from the Chargers (hence the San Diego reference), he was brash and outspoken. McGinest felt he needed a little tweaking.

"We got Rodney good," McGinest said. "The way we do things is, if you come in late for a meeting, you've got to put $100 in the pot. So one of the first weeks he's here, Rodney walks in late. We were all over him. He didn't know what hit him.

"I realized later that because he was new, he wasn't sure how to take it. He was feeling a little bad. I told him, `Hey, Rodney, this is how we are. We hold everyone accountable. We're just having fun with you -- but you still better be at our meetings on time.' "

"That's the thing about Willie," said linebacker Matt Chatham. "He's joking, but he's serious. He'll start digging you about how many times he's been in the weight room. He'll be on you and on you until finally he goads you into going into the weight room yourself. It might seem like he's joking, but he really wants you in there."

McGinest turns everything into a spirited competition: who is in the weight room the longest, who gets to practice the earliest, who drinks the most water, who makes the fewest mistakes.

"He sets the tone," Bruschi said. "He's the one who lets us know when it's time to joke around, and when it's time to get serious. He's taught me so much. He showed me, `You can't be too sensitive here,' and `You can't relax too much there.' "

----------------------------------------

He, Vinatieri, Brown, and Bruschi are the links to the Patriots past, back to the days of Parcells and SB XXXI: the guys who survived the Carroll days and were rewarded in the Belichick era. I will miss them all when they finally, inevitably leave - either lost as FAs or retired. Every time I reflect upon one of those guys I think, "my, we've come a long way".

My McGinest montage:
williebill.jpg
mcginestne.jpg
sports1.jpg
FootballPBMcGinest.jpg
1108316994_4879.jpg
favre802.jpg
5231.4898.t.jpg
110804ramspatriots.jpg
ltppats01252005.jpg

F**K Willie McGinest. He was a pubic hair away from wearing the goat horns in SB36. The 4th down holding penalty on Faulk would have been a "Bill Buckner" moment if Brady and Vinatieri didn't bail him out. God'damn traitor should've signed with the Pats this year and played for free. Where's the loyalty?

SARCASM :)

I'm still heartsick over this. I know it was the best move for all parties, but Willie personified Patriot to me.

And lest we forget this gem:

"Cancel those reservations! Cancel all those reservations!"

mcvsteel.jpg

Willie was the best. Some of the most best plays during these Super Bowl years have been done by Willie. I wish him the best.

Thanks Willie :thumb:

You got me out of seat a bunch of times you SOB :D

As for playing hurt, I'll never forget the time Willie had been poked in the eye, and was wearing a patch when he returned to the game. He picked off a pass and rumbled down the left side line for a TD with the eye patch losened from sweat flapping all the way.

I couldn't find a picture of this, I believe it was in the Pete Carroll yrs, and maybe vs Miami?

I wish I could find a pic of that

And now we're left with this...

OHMD10603152336.jpg

While I'm a Patriots fan, I also have a list in my mind of the other 31 NFL teams segregated by "teams I like and can root for", "teams I'm indifferent to", and "teams I can't stand and root against". At least I can take solace in the fact that Willie went to a team I can root for. The Browns have been much maligned, and spent a long time being Pittsburgh's whipping boy in the division, and Cleveland's a true football town (ugly, grimy, hardcore, LOL), so I can root for Romeo and Willie as long as it doesn't impact the Pats.

If Willie had gone to another AFC East team, I would've had to :Eason:

More on McGinest's leadership in today's Globe (Borges):

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../03/19/earning_respect____and_his_due/?page=1
''That was a sad day," Seymour said of the afternoon McGinest called to tell him he was signing with the Cleveland Browns. ''It's tough to lose a guy like Willie. He helped me so much when I came to New England. He showed me the ropes. He was like having a coach in the huddle with you."

Wandering Athol--
Thanks for doing this thread! :thumb: :thumb:
Without a doubt, Big Willie is one of my all-time favorite Pats... And he will always be a Pat, in my heart. If he had to leave, then at least he is now re-united with Romeo...
I have a ton of wonderful memories of Willie--most of which have to do with his making a big play, at a critical juncture in a big game... But, most vividly, it is his big, bright, contagious smile and laughter that comes to mind, when I think of him... I can remember a few years ago, seeing a clip of he and Roman Phifer, on the sidelines and I forget what Willie said, but he had Roman ROFLHAO! Seriously, Roman was like doubled-over, cuz he was laughing so damn hard! :D :D
As many have said, he is the consummate leader in so many ways--always knowing how to set the tone when serious work was at hand, yet keeping it fun for everyone, as well. Although he made it look easy, that is a tricky balance to attain, IMO...
Anyways--as much as I would have loved to have seen Willie retire as a Pat, I wish him well in all of his endeavors, unless the Browns are playing the Pats--which will be in 2007, unless the Browns happen to make the play-offs in 2006...
Thanks for the memories, Willie! :)

March 17, 2006
McGinest statement
Former Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest released the following statement through his agent on Friday:

"I would like to thank the New England fans, players, media and organization for all of their support during my time with the Patriots. The last 12 years of my life have been nothing short of spectacular, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Patriots. That being said, I am extremely excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Cleveland. To all of you in the New England area who have laughed, cried and celebrated with me and the Patriots over the past 12 years, thank you. I will always cherish those memories, and I will miss you."

The statement was signed by McGinest, with his No. 55 next to the signature.

Thanks for everything, Willie. I'll miss the big plays and your class attitude. At least you landed with Romeo. Looking forward to the Cleveland game next year! :D

Back