Mesko tells kids there isn't a Santa on live TV

This comment after the article is hilarious:

Disappointing children is a time-honored Christmas tradition in Mesko's homeland of Romania, although there, it's typically done by revealing the non-existence of more mundane things, like dinner.

I hate Santa. I hate the tooth fairy. I hate the Easter Bunny. Anything that makes me lie to my kids to the point where they believe my drivel makes me feel wrong. I do it, of course. But I, as you may have guessed, hate it.

At least Julian kept his hands to himself. Gotta look at the positives here. :coffee:

I hate Santa. I hate the tooth fairy. I hate the Easter Bunny. Anything that makes me lie to my kids to the point where they believe my drivel makes me feel wrong. I do it, of course. But I, as you may have guessed, hate it.

I wasn't allowed to believe in any of that. But I was also under strict orders not to tell my cousins etc who DID. I don't think I ever slipped either.

I wasn't allowed to believe in any of that. But I was also under strict orders not to tell my cousins etc who DID. I don't think I ever slipped either.
Do you feel robbed? Seriously, I was considering raising my kids like this but then thought I might steal their joy.

I loved it.:shrug:

I love the magic and the joy in their eyes. All their anticipation and excitement was my favorite part of Christmas.:heart:

I loved it.:shrug:

I love the magic and the joy in their eyes. All their anticipation and excitement was my favorite part of Christmas.:heart:
We have an arrangement with Santa.

We do the presents, he does the stockings. Fvcker is not getting credit for the shit we slave to buy. :shrug:

I should have taught them the Great Fire Eagle brought the presents ROFL I like that better.

OT-
Maybe it did at the time a bit ,but I agree with the overall approach. In my view sustaining those things are real are just tools to get kids to behave better instead of using straight up methods. Along with once they find out that stuff isn't real they can look at their parents as people who are willing to lie to them over sustained periods of time for no real reason.

Let me just say I am not in any way shape or form condemning/judging parents who do encourage their kids to believe in all that stuff as I don't think it's child abuse or anything serious. I think most of those parents are just trying to add some fun to their kids' lives and encourage them to dream and imagine (all good things) . It's just my own belief, that's all. My favorite memories of the holidays are playing with my cousins, etc. not mythical creatures. That's where the joy comes from IMO. Also not allowing the kids to ruin it for others teaches an important lesson also.

It was great as a kid, but as I began to grow up it just seemed cheesy as shit. Now I really could care less about Christmas. It's just an excuse to buy stuff. I can do that anytime of the year.

OT-
Maybe it did at the time a bit ,but I agree with the overall approach. In my view sustaining those things are real are just tools to get kids to behave better instead of using straight up methods. Along with once they find out that stuff isn't real they can look at their parents as people who are willing to lie to them over sustained periods of time for no real reason.

Let me just say I am not in any way shape or form condemning/judging parents who do encourage their kids to believe in all that stuff as I don't think it's child abuse or anything serious. I think most of those parents are just trying to add some fun to their kids' lives and encourage them to dream and imagine (all good things) . It's just my own belief, that's all. My favorite memories of the holidays are playing with my cousins, etc. not mythical creatures. That's where the joy comes from IMO. Also not allowing the kids to ruin it for others teaches an important lesson also.
You have to admit- a Great Fire Eagle would be bad ass, though.

:)

It was great as a kid, but as I began to grow up it just seemed cheesy as shit. Now I really could care less about Christmas. It's just an excuse to buy stuff. I can do that anytime of the year.
We usually do minimal shit for Christmas, if we do buy something awesome it's something we need to replace (the xbox crapped out last week) or something we have been planning for forever (trampoline, trip the the ocean). We both were told we were getting Christmas bonuses, so far nothing. Haven't gone shopping at all yet. And it doesn't really bother me. The kids don't mind, either.

Of course,:D, when tax returns come next month we usually go all out and buy a bunch of dirtbikes or something equally frickin' awesome. :D.

The kids look at January with more favor then Christmas ROFL

yeah and I feel this is my last year enjoying the kids like this. Next year will be boring once the myth is broken.
My oldest still has the magic even though she knows it's BS. She is a freshman in HS and still has a blast going trick or treating with us.

As long as you continue to love them and be an all around awesome dad, the magic will always be there :)

My oldest still has the magic even though she knows it's BS. She is a freshman in HS and still has a blast going trick or treating with us.

As long as you continue to love them and be an all around awesome dad, the magic will always be there :)
I know all this and we will continue to do the silly ass crap we always do but the Boy is the one who is figuring everything out. he is younger and a little nerd - invited to spelling bee, he is in a special math class and some other brain group he tested into and was off the charts. The kid thinks of things in a different way and he reasoning of things is cool....until we get to christmas and santas night and the ability to do all he does. Now add all the kids telling them Santa's fake.

but yeah I plan on being the dad making his 15 year old have a santa picture taken

Back