Mint Julep. Do you know how to make one?

Splunge52

Reaction score
What with the Derby coming up.

My dad is from Louisville and for my family Derby weekend is a big thing. Maybe even bigger than the Super Boowl for the area.

I have some good bourbon here at home and I figured I would give it a try.

Does anybody know how to make the sugar syrup?

Where might I find fresh mint?

All from http://www.webtender.com/

Sugar syrup (aka. simple syrup, gomme syrup and sirop de gomme) is a solution of sugar and water that is cooked over low heat until clear, then boiled for a minute or so. It can be made in various densities:

Thin
3 parts water to 1 part sugar
Medium
2 parts water to 1 part sugar
Heavy
equal parts water and sugar

Mint Julep
Ingredients:
8 medium-size Mint leaves
1.5 tblsp Sugar syrup
1.5 oz Bourbon
1/4 tsp Angostura bitters
Mixing instructions:
In electric blender, blend on high for a few seconds, until leaves are reduced. Strain into silver tumbler packed with shaved ice, add more Bourbon to saturate the ice, garnish with a sprig of mint.

Mint Julep Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar, plus more for garnish
3 bunches mint
1 bottle Southern whisky
1 egg white
Mint or lavender sprigs, for garnish

Make a mint flavored simple syrup by boiling water and sugar with two bunches of roughly torn and bruised mint in large sauce pot. Boil just until the sugar dissolves completely. Cool and strain the mint out of mixture.
Add bottle of whisky to the infusion. Stuff the empty whisky bottle with last bunch of fresh mint leaves and fill with the simple syrup/whiskey mixture.

Cap and put in freezer overnight. It will freeze to a slushy consistency for serving.

Glasses: dip the rim of each glass in egg white, then in sugar for a frosted appearance and chill. Fill with mint julep mixture straight from the frozen bottle and garnish with a mint or lavender sprig.

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

Mint Julep Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005

10 mint leaves, plus a sprig for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons superfine sugar
Seltzer water
Crushed ice
2 1/2 ounces Kentucky bourbon whiskey

Place the mint leaves in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass and top with the sugar. Muddle these together until the leaves begin to break down. Add a splash of seltzer water, fill the glass 3/4 full with crushed ice, and add the bourbon. Top with another splash of seltzer, stir, and garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.

Drink lots of mint listerine and bourbon, then pee into your favorite cup full of ice and sugar and whola mint julep.

Or give Google a try.

What with the Derby coming up.

My dad is from Louisville and for my family Derby weekend is a big thing. Maybe even bigger than the Super Boowl for the area.

I have some good bourbon here at home and I figured I would give it a try.

Does anybody know how to make the sugar syrup?

Where might I find fresh mint?

You gonna wear your purdy dress and flowery hat while you drink them?

I have my Col. Sanders suit and I'm going to wax my moustache.

...and don't forget to stand for the Commonwealth's anthem.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCJJ_f_7ThQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCJJ_f_7ThQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KEEP THE DAMN MINT AWAY FROM THE BLENDER!!!!!!!!!!!

Your supposed to muddle it with the sugar not run it through a friggin blender WTFBBQOHTHEHUMANITYTHEDRINKISTEHSUXZNOW

Back