Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

I’m pretty tepid on Mac Jones. Where the pats were drafting and with the need at QB, he had to be the pick. Had to be.
That said, I’ve seen nothing that’s proven he can be a better than average NFL starting quarterback.
That ok, as long as he be surrounded by talent and kept on a cheap contract.
Right now he’s got no talent, but he’s cheap. Where is Thornton? Plenty of other rookie WRs are out there making plays.
That’s not Bill’s philosophy though. He believes in acquiring players who are Bs and Cs and then coaching them up. That’s why the Pats need to have a much much better quarterback to really compete as long as Bill is the GM. Then of course you have to hope Bill will actually pay that level of quarterback.

That’s not Bill’s philosophy though. He believes in acquiring players who are Bs and Cs and then coaching them up. That’s why the Pats need to have a much much better quarterback to really compete as long as Bill is the GM. Then of course you have to hope Bill will actually pay that level of quarterback.

But how much better? "Much Much Better" is a very vague term. So other than Tom Brady, what other quarterback over the last 20 years could have made this philosophy work, and by work I mean to be a playoff contender each year and be included in Superbowl talks year in and year out? I'll hang up and listen.

But how much better? "Much Much Better" is a very vague term. So other than Tom Brady, what other quarterback over the last 20 years could have made this philosophy work, and by work I mean to be a playoff contender each year and be included in Superbowl talks year in and year out? I'll hang up and listen.
joe flacco
/end thread

LOL! LOL! LOL!

No really, which quarterback?
joe flacco is mediocre to average.
the ravens were contenders most every year he was there.
i'd rather use that model, though with a better qb, not elite. just above average. i'd rather they contend every year than have some "omgwtfbbq elitez!!111!1!" qb and be strangled with the cap hit after 3 years.
Mac can be a better than average qb imo. he's smart, tough, etc.

They always played the Pats tough but I thought that Ravens team was rather average with him there outside a few actual contending years. And it took him to have one of the best playoffs runs ever to actually make it to a SB(and win). I'm sure we all remember after his rookie season their fans thought they had the next Tom Brady after his rookie season :ROFLMAO: Such a deplorable fan base.

Jones is 25th in passer rating. 28th in QBR. They are many QBs who are much better than him.

Jones is 25th in passer rating. 28th in QBR. They are many QBs who are much better than him.

And none of those rankings are remotely influenced by other issues currently on the Patriots team? If that is the case, please god trade him so the Patriots can be better off and Mac as well. Do both parties a favor.

They always played the Pats tough but I thought that Ravens team was rather average with him there outside a few actual contending years. And it took him to have one of the best playoffs runs ever to actually make it to a SB(and win). I'm sure we all remember after his rookie season their fans thought they had the next Tom Brady after his rookie season :ROFLMAO: Such a deplorable fan base.
they were consistently competitive while he was there, i.m.o. better than nyg with eli who people put in the h.o.f. "cuz2ringz!!1!1". from wiki:

Flacco was Baltimore's starting quarterback from 2008 until midway through the 2018 season, and helped lead the Ravens to the playoffs six times; during his tenure in Baltimore the Ravens won the AFC North twice, appeared in three AFC Championship Games, and beat the San Francisco 49ers to win Super Bowl XLVII following the 2012 season

And none of those rankings are remotely influenced by other issues currently on the Patriots team? If that is the case, please god trade him so the Patriots can be better off and Mac as well. Do both parties a favor.
Of course but some of it is Mac's regression as well.

Of course but some of it is Mac's regression as well.

It still begs the question as to if Zappe is equal, better, or has more upside than Jones, why hasn't Bill B put him back in there? What happened? It seems after the second-half of the Chicago Bears debacle Bill B shows no inclination to put Zappe back in. Why?

they were consistently competitive while he was there, i.m.o. better than nyg with eli who people put in the h.o.f. "cuz2ringz!!1!1". from wiki:
You said a consistent contender, not competitive, they are not the same thing. The Pats were competitive last year, made the playoffs, but were far from a real contender. Just being competitive to me is nothing but a middling team. Thankfully they didn't have a great QB or they might have actually been a consistent contender, especially while Lewis, Reed, Ngata, and Suggs were there.

It still begs the question as to if Zappe is equal, better, or has more upside than Jones, why hasn't Bill B put him back in there? What happened? It seems after the second-half of the Chicago Bears debacle Bill B shows no inclination to put Zappe back in. Why?
Because Jones is the #15 overall pick.

Because Jones is the #15 overall pick.

Bill B doesn't cave to that, never has and never will. If his counterpart Selah with the Jets is willing to bench the #2 overall pick for a 5th rounder, I don't think Bill B is "scared" or being pressured to play an inferior QB while the best one rides the bench. That's not even low-hanging fruit, that's just absurd.

Bill B doesn't cave to that, never has and never will. If his counterpart Selah with the Jets is willing to bench the #2 overall pick for a 5th rounder, I don't think Bill B is "scared" or being pressured to play an inferior QB while the best one rides the bench.
You may see Zappe before the end of the season again.

You said a consistent contender, not competitive, they are not the same thing. The Pats were competitive last year, made the playoffs, but were far from a real contender. Just being competitive to me is nothing but a middling team. Thankfully they didn't have a great QB or they might have actually been a consistent contender, especially while Lewis, Reed, Ngata, and Suggs were there.
ok, they were a consistent contender by my definition...😛

You may see Zappe before the end of the season again.

Possibly, but again, if Zappe has more upside and is better then why isn't Bill B putting him out there right now when a playoff spot is on the line? It's not like Bill B has ever had a problem with hurting people's feelings/egos or going against the grain. We both know the "because the #15 overall pick" doesn't hold water. Doesn't even remotely come close to fitting the fabric in which Bill B is cut.

Possibly, but again, if Zappe has more upside and is better then why isn't Bill B putting him out there right now when a playoff spot is on the line? It's not like Bill B has ever had a problem with hurting people's feelings/egos or going against the grain. We both know the "because the #15 overall pick" doesn't hold water. Doesn't even remotely come close to fitting the fabric in which Bill B is cut.
she's a troll. just fun to bat around like a cat toy. bb plays who earns it in the context of who is available. most of us WERE a bit surprised when mac won the starting job so fast over a vet, but that told us quite a bit about both guys, imo.

Lol. Didn’t you say you were an Alabama fan? I may know just a smidge more about Bill.

Back