My daughter is distraught

it takes more than a day for the rice thign to work...i went swimming with my iphone last year and it sat in rice for 5 days...worked when i turned it on...only issue was battery died real quick after that

I was pissed when I brought a waterproof IPod case. when I flipped my kayak over it did not do it's job. The music played for 10 minutes afterward then died on me. EMS asked me to leave when I came back and starting complaining at them for a shitty product.

I was pissed when I brought a waterproof IPod case. when I flipped my kayak over it did not do it's job. The music played for 10 minutes afterward then died on me. EMS asked me to leave when I came back and starting complaining at them for a shitty product.

I'd give five bucks to have been there for this....

I'd give five bucks to have been there for this....

When I flipped My kayak. the people I was with had a good laugh. Should have towed the cooler with 45 beers and ice in it behind the kayak instead on the back. IT all happened because a canoe in front of me was trying to get past a fallen tree. SO i grabbed a tree branch and waited for them to get by. As Soon as I released the it the current moved my boat sideways and flipped it.

Unfortunately, the real damage isn't from getting your phone wet but attempting to use it when it was. The first thing she should have done was immediately remove the battery. A bag of rice will do the trick, but things like hair dryers can actually make the problem worse, so don't let her resort to that out of desperation. I've dropped one flip phone in the sink and a touchscreen in a river, and both eventually turned on. I didn't pull the battery on the flip right away and as a result the keypad never worked properly. With the touchscreen, I left it disassembled in a bag of rice for a week and a half before it would finally turn on (with a new battery). That one ended up working perfectly. It's really hit or miss, but if she can tough it out for a week or two the phone WILL turn on and she should at least be able to get contact info out of it.

Or you could be a good parent and overnight her a new one. :coffee:

;)

As sydney said, PULL THE BATTERY.

The problem is that with the thing wet, electricity goes places it isn't supposed to and can cause corrosion and other issues.

If you've got any desiccant packs handy (the things that say "do not eat") use that instead of rice. It seems more and more food products have them inside to keep the stuff crisp. If you bought any electronic item recently it certainly had one inside.

Update: She disassembled the phone as much as she could and put it in rice. The next day, she added the desiccant she found in shoe boxes and other places to the mix. Today she gave it a try...and IT WORKED! Everything seems to be working. She is still going to keep it in the rice, desiccant mixture for a few more days because when the screen is backlit it looked a little wet.

The contract is up in a couple of months. I imagine will be getting a new phone then. Hopefully this one stays dry until then. Thanks for all the tips and support.

When I flipped My kayak. the people I was with had a good laugh. Should have towed the cooler with 45 beers and ice in it behind the kayak instead on the back. IT all happened because a canoe in front of me was trying to get past a fallen tree. SO i grabbed a tree branch and waited for them to get by. As Soon as I released the it the current moved my boat sideways and flipped it.

I meant the fight at the store....

Back