Net Points

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
Not sure how everyone feels about this statistic, but if you look at each division and combine net points, here is a breakdown:

AFCE - plus 54
AFCN - minus 88
AFCS - minus 110 (all four teams have allowed more than they've scored)
AFCW - plus 112
NFCE - plus 109
NFCN - minus 4
NFCS - minus 25
NFCW - minus 48

It would appear that the NFL really only has four decent divisions (AFCE, AFCW, NFCE and NFCN) based on this statistic.

Combined the league is at a plus 10.

Unpossible.

There must be an error in your numbers somewhere.

I just did a copy-and-paste of the numbers from cbssports.com, and got total points scored (and allowed) as 5475.

Unpossible.

There must be an error in your numbers somewhere.

I just did a copy-and-paste of the numbers from cbssports.com, and got total points scored (and allowed) as 5475.

I just added all the plusses and subtracted all the minusses.

Not sure what your number means.

I just added all the plusses and subtracted all the minusses.

Not sure what your number means.
Total points scored across the league has to equal the total amount of points allowed.

I don't know how to explain it any more clearly than that.

Not sure how everyone feels about this statistic, but if you look at each division and combine net points, here is a breakdown:

AFCE - plus 54
AFCN - minus 88
AFCW - plus 122
NFCE - plus 109
NFCN - minus 4
NFCS - minus 25
NFCW - minus 48

It would appear that the NFL really only has four decent divisions (AFCE, AFCW, NFCE and NFCN) based on this statistic.

Combined the league is at a plus 10. Might be another reason viewers are tuning out. But it would appear that Roger has his parity.

uhhh...I know you're a math teacher and all, but shouldn't the plus/minus even out?

Of course, I also have to factor in the fact that I may have no idea what you're talking about.

I fixed it. The AFCW should be at 112 not 122. I tried doing it without a calculator.

Big mistake.

Now we are even in points scored versus points allowed.

I never said I was a good Math teacher.

I fixed it. The AFCW should be at 112 not 122. I tried doing it without a calculator.

Big mistake.

Now we are even in points scored versus points allowed.

I never said I was a good Math teacher.

Also, AFCN is -86, not -88.

AFCS is -111, not -110.

NFCE is +108, not +109.

But I do like this thread - it's another way, besides wins and losses, to figure out which divisions are doing well.

AFCW and NFCE are both strong divisions overall.

And it's still misleading. The Bills are +40 but are obviously not a legit team.

I dunno, patfan64. Think you could use a bye-week right about now. :coffee:

:wink:

Cheers, BostonTim

AFCE - plus 54
AFCN - minus 88
AFCW - plus 112
NFCE - plus 109
NFCN - minus 4
NFCS - minus 25
NFCW - minus 48

I'm not sure how you include the NFCN in the decent divisions when they've given up more points than they've scored, and the AFCE doesn't count as a decent division when it's one good team carrying 3 mediocre at best teams.

AFCW and NFCE are the only good divisions in the league. The rest are varying shades of terrible with the occasional good/great team sprinkled in.

Interesting idea for a statistic, but I'm not sure how much predictive power it gives at the halfway mark.

Who any given team has played so far will clearly play a role in the numbers.

Even then, what divisional matchups any given division has can color the results.

For example, who ever plays the AFCS could expect a slight boost to their numbers.

If you could tweak this to reflect the strength of the opponents, (something like DVOA), then it would be more interesting.

Also, AFCN is -86, not -88.

AFCS is -111, not -110.

NFCE is +108, not +109.

But I do like this thread - it's another way, besides wins and losses, to figure out which divisions are doing well.

Not sure what numbers you are using. I used mine from NFL.com.

Based on that site AFCS is -110 and AFCN is -88 and NFCE is +109. I just used a calculator (cuz I'm back at my desk eating lunch.)

AFC is minus 32 and NFC is plus 32.

I'm not sure how you include the NFCN in the decent divisions when they've given up more points than they've scored, and the AFCE doesn't count as a decent division when it's one good team carrying 3 mediocre at best teams.

AFCW and NFCE are the only good divisions in the league. The rest are varying shades of terrible with the occasional good/great team sprinkled in.

Do you ever have anything nice to say?

Just curious.

Not sure what numbers you are using. I used mine from NFL.com.

Based on that site AFCS is -110 and AFCN is -88 and NFCE is +109. I just used a calculator (cuz I'm back at my desk eating lunch.)

AFC is minus 32 and NFC is plus 32.

I used cbssports.com. It looks to me as if their numbers are wrong (for Buffalo and Pittsburgh) - good catch.

I used cbssports.com. It looks to me as if their numbers are wrong (for Buffalo and Pittsburgh) - good catch.

It certainly could have been NFL.com that was wrong. They have a history of errors over there.

Do you ever have anything nice to say?

Just curious.
Well I was complimentary in this thread, referring to the Patriots as a good enough team to make 3 bad teams look good when just looking at the division as a whole.

I've also referred to Bill Belichick as a great coach, with no internal suffering even, despite Mazz being certain it killed me.

I was presenting what I considered nothing more or less than a factual correction to the interpretation of the NFCN and AFCE being called good divisions. I wasn't intending to be either nice or not nice.

I know you guys hate me here, but I really don't do anything worse than correct things that I think aren't accurate.

How was it that all of this <strike>clown's</strike> things's opinions came to be fact while all of mine remain stoopid as ever? :shrug:

Inquiring minds and all that.

Back