No Superbowl???

Skellington

Reaction score
I just read an article in the Manchester Union Leader stating that DirectTv customers in the Boston area may not get to see the big game!

I guess the company that owns NBC is trying to increase their price to DirectTv by 300%. Coincidentally, that company has some sort of association with Comcast. I noticed a week ago that we were no longer getting NBC but it didn't even dawn on me that the Superbowl would be on that channel.

This really sucks. If it's not fixed before the game, I'm going to be one pissed off customer.:cuss:

Now that I think about it...I may have one of those boxes around.

Unfortunately making the switch is out of the question. We just got DirectTV in September and signed a 2-year contract. We'd have to pay $20 for each remaining month to get out of it. If I have to, I may just go somewhere else to watch it.

If you think I'm pissed...imagine all of the sports bars who got DirectTV and won't be able to show the game either.

It is not all of NBC, just Boston and Miami, (NBC affiliates that are owned by a company named Sunbeam I think).

I think it will be resolved before the game, too much money at stake.

I would hope so. DirectTV has been pretty good to us and is a lot less expensive for us than Comcast was so I'd really rather not have to go back to Comcast.

I would hope so. DirectTV has been pretty good to us and is a lot less expensive for us than Comcast was so I'd really rather not have to go back to Comcast.

I'm looking to try and escape Comcast too, but I don't really have many options where I live in NH. What do you do for high speed internet?

I just read an article in the Manchester Union Leader stating that DirectTv customers in the Boston area may not get to see the big game!

I guess the company that owns NBC is trying to increase their price to DirectTv by 300%. Coincidentally, that company has some sort of association with Comcast. I noticed a week ago that we were no longer getting NBC but it didn't even dawn on me that the Superbowl would be on that channel.

This really sucks. If it's not fixed before the game, I'm going to be one pissed off customer.:cuss:

They are planning on streaming it live on nfl.com, not sure what the quality would be though.. and you'd probably get different commercials than TV.

We had a flap last year about FOX getting dropped. My friend gave me a converter box for the old tv/vcr combo that the uber little kids watch Disney flicks on just in case. You get the major networks on those things. Hooks up to any tv. **** these companies and their price gouging and jacking up my sporting events.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm looking to try and escape Comcast too, but I don't really have many options where I live in NH. What do you do for high speed internet?

Unfortunately we are stuck with Comcast for internet for now. My wife sells Lia Sophia jewelry and we put her Comcast email address on everything. If we change from Comcast, we'll have to put a lot of time and money into changing everything.

So far we've been pretty happy with DirectTV although we did have an issue where the smallest storm would knock out our reception for a lot of channels. We called the service department and they sent someone out to check it out. It turns out that the installer didn't have it adjusted correctly. Since then, we've been good during any storms as far as I know. I keep an eye on our satellite reception numbers just to make sure. We joined a service plan that covers everything up to the tv for $7 a month. I normally don't so service plans but since this one covers all cabling also, I think it will be worth it in the end.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Comcast for internet for now. My wife sells Lia Sophia jewelry and we put her Comcast email address on everything. If we change from Comcast, we'll have to put a lot of time and money into changing everything.

So far we've been pretty happy with DirectTV although we did have an issue where the smallest storm would knock out our reception for a lot of channels. We called the service department and they sent someone out to check it out. It turns out that the installer didn't have it adjusted correctly. Since then, we've been good during any storms as far as I know. I keep an eye on our satellite reception numbers just to make sure. We joined a service plan that covers everything up to the tv for $7 a month. I normally don't so service plans but since this one covers all cabling also, I think it will be worth it in the end.

Interesting, so what does Comcast charge for just the internet if you don't mind me asking?

I think it's somewhere around 45-50. We have the phone through them also and the bill for just those two items is just over 100 with all of the taxes and crap.

If I remember correctly, we tried to get a deal for having just those two items and weren't able to do anything at the time.

DirectTv is saving us enough to make it worth it. The biggest difference between the two for price is the price per cable box. DirectTV is $6 a month for each box...but they get you up front. I think it was something like 100 for HD box and 150 for a DVR. We were approached at Sam's Club and got a deal where they waived most of the up-front fees along with giving us a good monthly discount that made it well worth it. Even after the first year we'll be saving money. Then we'll see what's available when our contract is up.

Sorry to hear about that. We have directv here in Maryland. I signed up because comcast sucks in this area and for Sunday ticket. I haven't lived in New England since '96, but have never missed a Pats game thanks to Sunday ticket. Anyway, this past Sunday, we had freezing rain and we lost reception from directv for just our high def channels. Turns out our satelite was covered with a sheet of ice, and once it melted, high def was back and functioning fine. We had to watch the AFCCG in low def, oh the horror......

Buy a HD antenae they range from 20 and up..I bought one for $30 that picks up all the stations with in 25 miles of me..If your further away than that then you'll need to find one that has much better range...

I think it's somewhere around 45-50. We have the phone through them also and the bill for just those two items is just over 100 with all of the taxes and crap.

If I remember correctly, we tried to get a deal for having just those two items and weren't able to do anything at the time.

DirectTv is saving us enough to make it worth it. The biggest difference between the two for price is the price per cable box. DirectTV is $6 a month for each box...but they get you up front. I think it was something like 100 for HD box and 150 for a DVR. We were approached at Sam's Club and got a deal where they waived most of the up-front fees along with giving us a good monthly discount that made it well worth it. Even after the first year we'll be saving money. Then we'll see what's available when our contract is up.

We pay $198 for 2 HD 1 with DVR and 1 digital box with high speed internet and phone. I also have a few movie channels that was some deal I took that will expire in June. I saw DirectTV offering these deals

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1

and was wondering how much I could save if I switched the cable. I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks!

Definitely investigate and if you get a deal where they'll waive the up-front fees per box, I'd say go for it. Our cable is down to $60/month which makes cable, internet and phone for about 160. We were paying around 210 or so for everything before. After the first year our cable will go up to 80. Still saving money.

Now that Sunday ticket was brought up...do they show the big game on that? NFL sunday ticket was included for free for this season also so I may be able to watch it there.

Believe me the timing of this issue is not a coincidence.
Holding the customers / viewers hostage and taking away SB viewing is a dirty tactic.

As pig states, get an OTA antenna and you will be good to go. I have one one, a non cable TV in my kitchen and the reception and picture are stunningly good.
If you're in Maryland I gotta think you're in signal range of an NBC station.

Edit: sorry for confusion, in Manchester NH you should be able to score Channel 7 over the air.

WHDH,WLVI (Boston) WSVN (Miami) 1/13 Carriage Dispute
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200793

Also they have turned on channel 392 for some, check to see if they turned it on for you:thumb:

Thank you pw4m. I'll have to check out channel 392 tonight.

I'll be getting the Super Bowl in HD for free on my digital antenna.

:rockon:

Back