Non-PP Chat Room Help

Fully Tilted

GhostGronk
Reaction score
Ok, so a particular employee of ours was caught visually using a chat/IM service. This is a no-no. We have super-duper firewalls and I'm amazed that she even got on there. What my Manager and I are now trying to do is figure out what service she was using.

The description was:

Mostly white and some orange look/face
Had the word "Chat" in orange font at the top

Does anyone have any idea what chat/IM service this would be?

It could be a number of chat services that can be used over port 80 like a normal http connection.

I am no expert on chat services, but there are quadrillions of them out there that you'll have trouble filtering.

It could be a number of chat services that can be used over port 80 like a normal http connection.

I am no expert on chat services, but there are quadrillions of them out there that you'll have trouble filtering.

I know this girl is dumb as rocks. I don't know how savvy she could be. Any insight is appreciated though. :)

I know this girl is dumb as rocks. I don't know how savvy she could be. Any insight is appreciated though. :)

She wouldn't have to do anything to actively bypass your systems since it's essentially just a normal http connection that refreshes. I.e. like viewing a dynamic webpage.

My best bid is that it's something like that.

She wouldn't have to do anything to actively bypass your systems since it's essentially just a normal http connection that refreshes. I.e. like viewing a dynamic webpage.

My best bid is that it's something like that.

Ahhh, I see.

I guess what I'm trying for is to see if this sounds familiar to anyone who uses Chat/IM services (I don't) and might have an idea of what service it is.

Shot in the dark and all but I want this bitch gone. She's nothing but a gigantic headache between M-F.

Ok, so a particular employee of ours was caught visually using a chat/IM service. This is a no-no. We have super-duper firewalls and I'm amazed that she even got on there. What my Manager and I are now trying to do is figure out what service she was using.

The description was:

Mostly white and some orange look/face
Had the word "Chat" in orange font at the top

Does anyone have any idea what chat/IM service this would be?

Have you tried asking her?

I don't use chat or IM either but this thread reminded me of something somewhat funny.

Four years ago, I was taking some online classes. I turned off my sound etc to keep me focused. I used AOL mail and IM back in those days. Without the sound on, I couldn't hear when someone opened an IM dialogue with me. I'd be typing away, not looking at the screen, then glance up to find a buttload of IMs with my work in there, which pissed me off to no end since the people IMing me KNEW I was in online working. So I deactivated AOL IM one night in a fit of anger. Make that a ballistic fit of anger.

Two weeks ago I went into my AOL mail account looking for something and thought I might just turn IM back on since a lot of contacts still use it. LOLz. I couldn't get it back on.:shrug:

I doubt seriously that I'm missing anything important.

FT...why was she using chat? Texting is so much better and easier to hide.

Ahhh, I see.

I guess what I'm trying for is to see if this sounds familiar to anyone who uses Chat/IM services (I don't) and might have an idea of what service it is.

Shot in the dark and all but I want this bitch gone. She's nothing but a gigantic headache between M-F.

Assuming she isn't telling you, you should have logs of the traffic going from her IP to the rest of the internet. You should be able to review those for the time period and find out which services she's been using.

Ask your network/sysadmin person to look it up for you.

I don't use chat or IM either but this thread reminded me of something somewhat funny.

Four years ago, I was taking some online classes. I turned off my sound etc to keep me focused. I used AOL mail and IM back in those days. Without the sound on, I couldn't hear when someone opened an IM dialogue with me. I'd be typing away, not looking at the screen, then glance up to find a buttload of IMs with my work in there, which pissed me off to no end since the people IMing me KNEW I was in online working. So I deactivated AOL IM one night in a fit of anger. Make that a ballistic fit of anger.

Two weeks ago I went into my AOL mail account looking for something and thought I might just turn IM back on since a lot of contacts still use it. LOLz. I couldn't get it back on.:shrug:

I doubt seriously that I'm missing anything important.

:huh:

IM'ing at least gives the appearance that you're typing away at work on the computer. Texting involves picking up your phone, which seems pretty obvious to me.

:huh:

IM'ing at least gives the appearance that you're typing away at work on the computer. Texting involves picking up your phone, which seems pretty obvious to me.

Well yeah I see what you are saying, but where I work sometimes if we are typing away too much it catches attention whereas texting under the table doesn't.:shrug:

;)

Thanks, I'll check it out and see if it's what I saw.

Have you tried asking her?

This person has a long history of being a malcontent, insubordinance, unresponsiveness, apathy and a lot of other words the Boston media is finding useful in the wake of Randy Moss's departure.

Confrontation at the time was not the best solution. As it stands, our IT group is going to run a scan on her PC to find it, tomorrow. My battle plan was correct.

She, along with numerous other idiots who can't just follow rules, have already been talked to, warned and cited for this. I think this was just a different outlet for her.

Assuming she isn't telling you, you should have logs of the traffic going from her IP to the rest of the internet. You should be able to review those for the time period and find out which services she's been using.

Ask your network/sysadmin person to look it up for you.

Done :thumb:

Back