OBJ watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran, Perry, Rapoport, Schefter, Giardi and on and on. In fact, I didn't hear ANY local or national sources say the Patriots didn't want him. I understand perfectly why Belichick and his staff were interested. Would it have worked out? Maybe, maybe not. It was low risk, high reward. But, anyone who denies that the Patriots made an offer is either in denial or ignoring reality.

Curran, Perry, Rapoport, Schefter, Giardi and on and on. In fact, I didn't hear ANY local or national sources say the Patriots didn't want him. I understand perfectly why Belichick and his staff were interested. Would it have worked out? Maybe, maybe not. It was low risk, high reward. But, anyone who denies that the Patriots made an offer is either in denial or ignoring reality.
I actually think it was moderate risk. Low from a traditional "cash and picks" perspective, but pretty high from a locker room perspective (pretty much only neutral or downside here) and from the perspective of Mac's development (there is some upside here, but more downside, IMO).

Does anyone else find it funny that the (now) two super teams are both in the NFC? Only one might make it to the SB.

I think this blows up for the Rams. They already have the best WR in the game and Stafford seems to have a great on field relationship with his receiver Corp. not sure why they felt the need to screw with that chemistry.

I think this blows up for the Rams. They already have the best WR in the game and Stafford seems to have a great on field relationship with his receiver Corp. not sure why they felt the need to screw with that chemistry.
People tend to want what is greener on the other side even though their own side is fine the way it is. Perhaps they wanted to pad even more what they already had.
I'm okay he didin't come here.

People tend to want what is greener on the other side even though their own side is fine the way it is. Perhaps they wanted to pad even more what they already had.
I'm okay he didin't come here.
I honestly can't think of a late season high profile acquisition that ever worked leading to a SB. The times BB has done it, it's been complimentary/supplementary players that contributed in small ways.

Van Noy wasn't really a known thing when he got here in 2016, so I wouldn't even count him. And, I remember Tony Mazz mocking him right after the trade happened. lmao

That's all the same source, technically. They all know one another and talk. I have no doubts BB kicked the tires as he always does. I don't believe they made an official offer. The Packers made an offer, apparently, so it sounds like it came down to GB and the Rams.

Sounds like NOs and KC simply couldn't compete due to money and I am not sure how we could have either.

I actually think it was moderate risk. Low from a traditional "cash and picks" perspective, but pretty high from a locker room perspective (pretty much only neutral or downside here) and from the perspective of Mac's development (there is some upside here, but more downside, IMO).
I described it as low risk because at the veteran minimum if he proved to be a problem, I'm convinced Bill would grease him.

That's all the same source, technically. They all know one another and talk. I have no doubts BB kicked the tires as he always does. I don't believe they made an official offer. The Packers made an offer, apparently, so it sounds like it came down to GB and the Rams.

Sounds like NOs and KC simply couldn't compete due to money and I am not sure how we could have either.
Rapoport said yesterday that the Patriots offer was slightly above the minimum and obviously a little more than a couple of other teams who just offered the minimum. They did more than kick the tires.

It all comes down to the fact this team doesn't have guys who require extra attention from an opposing defense. OBJ would have been that guy. On to Cleveland....

Apparently that's not enough because Kupp is on pace for 200 targets which is a little crazy. He's like the McCaffrey of the Rams from an overuse perspective. Maybe that's just because how much they throw or he's just open on every play, I don't really care enough to dig into it.

All you need to offer is the minimum. Anything more than that (but below something like 4.5MM, I think?) doesn't matter to OBJ at all, because the difference is made up from the Browns. The cap hit to the Browns = 4.5MM(?) - (salary from new team).

So there's no benefit to OBJ, and no incentive for any prospective new team to offer any more than the minimum. Offering more is just symbolic - a signal of respect and nothing else, benefitting only the Browns.

In other words, when you take into account cutting someone to make room for him, OBJ's cap hit is negligible.

It all comes down to the fact this team doesn't have guys who require extra attention from an opposing defense. OBJ would have been that guy. On to Cleveland....
Good. We have a QB that spreads the ball around and the D has no idea where it's going. If our red zone playcalling was better, we'd be seeing better results on the scoreboard. It's not a personnel issue. And, dropsie Beckham was certainly not going to bring any consistency in here after almost 2 years of doing nothing.

Rapoport said yesterday that the Patriots offer was slightly above the minimum and obviously a little more than a couple of other teams who just offered the minimum. They did more than kick the tires.
Rapoport? I mean this is the same guy who said Beckham would wait until after Sunday to decide. I don't believe it. I don't believe this team was in a position to offer something competitive nor were they serious. Agents always use the Pats to drive price. Rapoport is one of the last guys I'd trust, to be honest. GB was reported to have made an offer, but just to save face with their fans after the Rodgers debacle.

None of the teams were really in the mix outside of GB and LA. And LA has the bright lights the primadonna is looking for.

Rapoport? I mean this is the same guy who said Beckham would wait until after Sunday to decide. I don't believe it. I don't believe this team was in a position to offer something competitive nor were they serious. Agents always use the Pats to drive price. Rapoport is one of the last guys I'd trust, to be honest. GB was reported to have made an offer, but just to save face with their fans after the Rodgers debacle.

None of the teams were really in the mix outside of GB and LA. And LA has the bright lights the primadonna is looking for.
Whatever you say, chief, whatever you say...

Whatever you say, chief, whatever you say...
I just don't see a source. Been Googling around and can't find a source that says NE made an actual offer. Our team has been used to drive prices by agents for years. We're not in a position to offer anything real. GB's wasn't real either, it was the vet min.

Sorry, but I question all of troll media until there is a corroborative source where it can be verified.

This headline says everyone but the Pats on the bottom of the screen.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1458589646938681348?s=20

Again, the offer of something competitive is a total non-factor. Cap was not in play at all

So you think that reports that he made a near-vet-minimum offer to a talented WR, which is a position of need, to an individual whose game BB has had openly admired, are wrong. Based on what, exactly? Bill's long and storied history of turning up his nose at opportunities to get skilled players on the cheap?

Again, the offer of something competitive is a total non-factor. Cap was not in play at all

So you think that reports that he made a near-vet-minimum offer to a talented WR, which is a position of need, to an individual whose game BB has had openly admired, are wrong. Based on what, exactly? Bill's long and storied history of turning up his nose at opportunities to get skilled players on the cheap?
Based on the idea that Beckham hasn't played well in 2 years, is a primadonna who just asked to be cut from a playoff contender and the idea BB is always keeping a door open just in case, because it's what he always does. Calling Beckham's agent to kick the tires is doing due diligence.

The last thing Mac Jones is a guy like that coming in here and not being the focal point of the offense. BB isn't stupid.

Keep in mind, he's lobbying for a new contract right now, so they'll be plenty of lobbying for the ball like Moss in 2010. Way too risky and not enough time to get him to buy in, even if he wanted to come here and beg to play for BB and a vet min.

I have no doubt BB inquired because he always does, but I doubt a formal offer was made. Of course the cap is in play. LA is giving him 4.5 million for a 2 month rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back