Official Christian Barmore Discussion Thread

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
Fun facts:
  • He was a basketball player, didn't really like football. Was first convinced to play as a HS senior, at 6'2", 290#.
  • Was initially listed as a 2-star prospect.
  • Got his offer from Alabama based on 5 games of film, at which point he had been raised to a 4-star prospect
  • I don't know how to explain it, but he plays stronger and more athletic than his combine numbers indicate. Dude is "country strong," though from Philly.
  • He has been much, much better and more impactful than his stats would indicate
  • He is already drawing more attention than any DL we've had in recent memory. Maybe since Vince?
  • In many ways, he's only just learning the game, and if he keeps up the work ethic he's just scratching the surface.

View: https://youtu.be/xLkmFdIkRak

Philadelphia to Tuscaloosa (Saban) to Boston (Belichick)
The cauldron has been well seasoned.

When we took Mac at 15 I was so happy that I didn't notice that Barmore was undrafted until the next morning. Then when Bill traded up to get him in the 2nd, I couldn't believe that we got 2 first rounders with only 1 first round pick.

Fun facts:
  • He was a basketball player, didn't really like football. Was first convinced to play as a HS senior, at 6'2", 290#.
  • Was initially listed as a 2-star prospect.
  • Got his offer from Alabama based on 5 games of film, at which point he had been raised to a 4-star prospect
  • I don't know how to explain it, but he plays stronger and more athletic than his combine numbers indicate. Dude is "country strong," though from Philly.
  • He has been much, much better and more impactful than his stats would indicate
  • He is already drawing more attention than any DL we've had in recent memory. Maybe since Vince?
  • In many ways, he's only just learning the game, and if he keeps up the work ethic he's just scratching the surface.

View: https://youtu.be/xLkmFdIkRak

I liked him, but I wasn't sure how he'd translate to the NFL to be honest. The late bloomer concept is interesting. You can't teach size and strength, but he's quite athletic for his size. No question, he's the best DL taken in the draft by BB since Vince in 2004, not that he's taken a lot of em in Rd 1 or 2.

BB usually knows he can find fattys everywhere and coach em up, but this was a game-changing pick at that position.

This rookie is a beast in the making in all manners.
268600713_3013245288891238_1717416051457611529_n.png

When I watched Alabama on D, I used to focus on Barmore and found him interesting (and impressive). I kept hearing that he took plays off and was lazy, but
every time I saw him he looked the opposite.

I thought (and wrote here, I believe) that he was perfect for what we need-- a guy that can collapse the pocket without needing to run around somebody to shoot a gap and create a potential
lane for counters. He was able to stack a blocker, control him with his hands keeping his eyes in the backfield and then would shed and close very quickly for such a large dude. The bottom line is that he can't be run on in single and he often defeats doubles or hunkers down to create a pile. He's not experienced, but shows good
instincts and isn't out there free-lancing like half the big names in the league hunting for stats and glory at the expense of their team.

Country strong is a good way to describe somebody that doesn't look like a hulk, but plays like one. Richard Seymour is a perfect example of country strong. Barmore is good-sized but isn't rocked-up. He can bull-rush guys that are slabs of muscle. His hand use is advanced for a rookie, but could get better. I think his power comes from exceptional hip explosion and he is a hybrid between a quick-twitch speed guy and a Bullmoose. Sort of like Fletcher Cox. He keeps his butt low and his head up.

He's got a move where he does an arm-over that looks like vintage Howie Long and it always works. He's around his guy and you can't tell why until you see the slo-mo. He doesn't look fast, but he is. He looks pretty strong, but he plays stronger than that and he wants it.

I'd heard it suggested that he had some off-field issues at 'Bama which caused him to drop out of the first round, but I don't know if that was a Patriots rumor
plant or what. I like to think it was, but he has been no trouble and takes no plays off. Consistent and improving.

When I saw we took him in the second round, after Mac in the 1st, I couldn't fucking believe my eyes.

When I watched Alabama on D, I used to focus on Barmore and found him interesting (and impressive). I kept hearing that he took plays off and was lazy, but

I thought (and wrote here, I believe) that he was perfect for what we need-- a guy that can collapse the pocket without needing to run around somebody to shoot a gap and create a potential
lane for counters. He was able to stack a blocker, control him with his hands keeping his eyes in the backfield and then would shed and close very quickly for such a large dude. The bottom line is that he can't be run on in single and he often defeats doubles or hunkers down to create a pile. He's not experienced, but shows good
instincts and isn't out there free-lancing like half the big names in the league hunting for stats and glory at the expense of their team.

Country strong is a good way to describe somebody that doesn't look like a hulk, but plays like one. Richard Seymour is a perfect example of country strong. Barmore is good-sized but isn't rocked-up. He can bull-rush guys that are slabs of muscle. His hand use is advanced for a rookie, but could get better. I think his power comes from exceptional hip explosion and he is a hybrid between a quick-twitch speed guy and a Bullmoose. Sort of like Fletcher Cox. He keeps his butt low and his head up.

He's got a move where he does an arm-over that looks like vintage Howie Long and it always works. He's around his guy and you can't tell why until you see the slo-mo. He doesn't look fast, but he is. He looks pretty strong, but he plays stronger than that and he wants it.

I'd heard it suggested that he had some off-field issues at 'Bama which caused him to drop out of the first round, but I don't know if that was a Patriots rumor
plant or what. I like to think it was, but he has been no trouble and takes no plays off. Consistent and improving.

When I saw we took him in the second round, after Mac in the 1st, I couldn't fucking believe my eyes.

Seymour is precisely who I think of in some regards when thinking about Barnmore. Great comparison.

One of the knocks that I read about him before the draft was that he didn't have the sack #s or other stats that other 1st round DL prospects had.
Just before the draft Saban explained that he did exactly what they asked him to do, he played every position on the DL and never complained.
He was rated a 1st round player by the majority of draft guides and ratings.
When the 1st round was over, and I looked at the board, I just said what the hell happened to him. Never thought that Bill would trade up, but was thrilled when he did.

One of the knocks that I read about him before the draft was that he didn't have the sack #s or other stats that other 1st round DL prospects had.
Just before the draft Saban explained that he did exactly what they asked him to do, he played every position on the DL and never complained.
He was rated a 1st round player by the majority of draft guides and ratings.
When the 1st round was over, and I looked at the board, I just said what the hell happened to him. Never thought that Bill would trade up, but was thrilled when he did.
I read he was the best DT in the entire draft and that it was a weak draft class at that position, which is why BB traded up for him. He knew if he waited, he wouldn't be happy with the prospect.

Back