Official college Football thread

OSUBuckeye

Reaction score
I thought I would start one here since this where all the football heads are hanging out.

Here are some early 2010 preseason rankings. They don't mean much & in the end will look different but for now we can talk about them. The link I posted has more.

Rivals
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Oregon
4. Boise State
5. USC
6. TCU
7. Nebraska
8. Texas
9. Wisconsin
10. Florida
11. Virginia Tech
12. Oklahoma
13. Pittsburgh
14. Iowa
15. Georgia Tech
16. LSU
17. North Carolina
18. Miami
19. Connecticut
20. Oregon State
21. Houston
22. Utah
23. Arkansas
24. Penn State
25. Cincinnati
http://www.collegefootballcafeteria.com/rankings/2010-preseason-college-football-rankings/

I've been keeping tabs on a few spring practices & Brian Kelly looks like he is the right man for the job at ND. We'll find out in due time. He has a lot of work to get done. ND hasn't had a real football coach since Lou Holtz but I think they finally got a good one in Kelly.

Also shed some light on this for me MD. I keep hearing that DickRod wants Denard Robinson to beat beat out Forcier. Also on ESPNU they said a freshman could also be in the mix. I forgot his name. Kind of surprises me because I thought Forcier did a good job last year.

Will the Big 10 expand?
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/21083956

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany travels to the Arizona desert this week which is kind of fitting. For some unlucky schools, there is going to be a college football wasteland once the Big Ten gets done expanding. The BCS meetings this week in Phoenix could be where it all starts. Out of public view, mind you, but it could start. Delany could begin the process of notifying affected conferences that he is about to raid them.

With that in mind, it's time to rating the Big Ten expansion candidates in terms of relevance:

1. Notre Dame: If the Big 16 (or whatever) is able to lure/coerce ND into joining, the other schools don't really matter. Notre Dame brings everything -- class, quality football, eyeballs to the Big Ten Network. The two parties will have to figure out how to do deal with the NBC contract. That's really just a detail once the school decides to join, though. At issue: ND must decide that after 22 years without a national championship, it's better chasing a Rose Bowl every year than hoping for a BCS bowl in some years.

2. Connecticut: A UConn/Syracuse/Rutgers triumvirate maybe makes New York care enough about the Big Ten for the region's big cable carriers to start putting the Big Ten Network on the basic tier. Theoretically, you get New Jersey, New England and, maybe, New York. Taking UConn would be a big of a departure for the Big Ten because it is not an AAU school.

3. Missouri: Outside of getting Notre Dame and turning on New York, Missouri is the next biggest "get" for the Big Ten. It is virgin territory from which the BTN could reap a big profit. Kansas City is a Kansas town (followed closely by Missouri), but St. Louis is a Big Ten/Illinois/Mizzou town. With the likes of Ohio State and Michigan coming to Columbia on a regular basis, cable carriers would have to consider featuring the BTN on the basic tier. If it's five teams, then count Missouri in. Delany could boast of having markets from the Great Plains to the Atlantic Ocean to New England.

4. Rutgers: By itself, Rutgers does little in the New York market. If the Big Ten took just Rutgers, it could be taking it on the come. We all remember how the region got turned on 3 1/2 years ago. It could happen again. Most likely, Rutgers needs a partner or partners in expansion.

5. Syracuse: Almost a tag-along at this point. The 'Cuse by itself doesn't make sense because it doesn't bring a market or consistent football. Basketball is great, but that's not what this expansion is about at all. 'Cuse football is going to be better. We all know that. But does the Big Ten expand hoping Syracuse will get good? No, the school would be a throw-in with Rutgers and UConn if Delany chooses to influence New York (see No. 1)

6. Pittsburgh: There is little buzz about Pittsburgh at this point. The Big Ten is already in Pennsylvania with Penn State. When Joe Paterno talks about adding another school in the East, that kind of eliminates Western Pennsylvania

"The admission of major violations could provide the university with cause for not only terminating the remaining four seasons of Rich Rodriguez’s contract but also freeing Michigan from any remaining monetary obligations."

"The admission of major violations could provide the university with cause for not only terminating the remaining four seasons of Rich Rodriguez’s contract but also freeing Michigan from any remaining monetary obligations."

This does not make me happy.

What does DickRod need to do this season to keep his job?

If the answer is beat the Buckeyes & go to a good bowl game, well then he is a goner.

You & I have talked about Jimmy Harbaugh going threre but I have heard some talk about maybe Gruden. You're on the inside so what are you hearing?

If the answer is beat the Buckeyes & go to a good bowl game, well then he is a goner.

You & I have talked about Jimmy Harbaugh going threre but I have heard some talk about maybe Gruden. You're on the inside so what are you hearing?

MD has all the fun.

:sulk:

If the NCAA decides to come down harder than what the university did, DickRod has to be out and probably done as a big-time coach for a while. I don't even think he can save his job unless Michigan can get to a BCS game, and I don't see that happening right now. UM is a PROUD program and any infractions just don't fly with alumni, do they Dave?
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking of Michigan, here is how Denard Robinson finished up his spring. Some nice plays, some missed opportunities, a nice job on the option reads (I love the triple option Michigan runs 50 seconds into this video), some technique issues and lots of getting him on the edge. If I were a Michigan guy, I'd be worried about the seeming lack of pass rush displayed in this video but that may be a function of who was playing and what the coaches were calling. I'd also be concerned about Robinson's slow decision making in some of the quick concepts we see in the video. All in all an interesting look at Michigan's offense as it stands coming out of the spring.

Michigan certainly appears to be in better shape than Penn State at the QB position at this point in the year. From what I've seen, PSU has a real issue there right now. They may be wishing Devlin had hung around come fall.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Tt7q9_mcz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Tt7q9_mcz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Honestly, unless he wins 8 games, he should be out. There's no excuse for this type of performance. I honestly believe that you could have plugged in most coaches and maintained continuity (8 wins minimum, contend for BigTen titles). I want the man to be successful. I really do. I'm not the guy who will root for losses to fire the coach. I just seriously doubt he can do it. He's in over his head.

As for the next coach...I'd love Harbaugh. Can't see Gruden ending up here. Those rumors have been around since before Lloyd left. I always thought Gruden was earmarked for ND, though.

Speaking of Michigan, here is how Denard Robinson finished up his spring. Some nice plays, some missed opportunities, a nice job on the option reads (I love the triple option Michigan runs 50 seconds into this video), some technique issues and lots of getting him on the edge. If I were a Michigan guy, I'd be worried about the seeming lack of pass rush displayed in this video but that may be a function of who was playing and what the coaches were calling. I'd also be concerned about Robinson's slow decision making in some of the quick concepts we see in the video. All in all an interesting look at Michigan's offense as it stands coming out of the spring.

Michigan certainly appears to be in better shape than Penn State at the QB position at this point in the year. From what I've seen, PSU has a real issue there right now. They may be wishing Devlin had hung around come fall.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Tt7q9_mcz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Tt7q9_mcz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Denard improved by leaps and bounds, but his reads are still incredibly slow. He throws a decent ball, but his legs are what will win him the job. Giving Devin Gardner (#1 HS QB) a chance to redshirt (if DickRod doesn't screw up and play him) will be crucial. The offense should be alright.

Defensively...ugh. Just...ugh.

As for PSU...Kevin Newsome not looking all that good? He was originally a UM commit and was the guy I wanted most out of that class once Shepherd committed to LSU.

As for PSU...Kevin Newsome not looking all that good? He was originally a UM commit and was the guy I wanted most out of that class once Shepherd committed to LSU.

Newsome looks the part until he drops back to pass and then.....:banghead:

He's got the summer and camp to improve but from what I saw, that job is still wide open.

Honestly, unless he wins 8 games, he should be out. There's no excuse for this type of performance. I honestly believe that you could have plugged in most coaches and maintained continuity (8 wins minimum, contend for BigTen titles). I want the man to be successful. I really do. I'm not the guy who will root for losses to fire the coach. I just seriously doubt he can do it. He's in over his head.

As for the next coach...I'd love Harbaugh. Can't see Gruden ending up here. Those rumors have been around since before Lloyd left. I always thought Gruden was earmarked for ND, though.

September 4 Connecticut -W
September 11 @ Notre Dame-W

September 18 Massachusetts -W
September 25 Bowling Green -W
October 2 @ Indiana -W
October 9 Michigan State -W
October 16 Iowa 3:30 PM -?
October 30 @ Penn State-?
November 6 Illinois-W
November 13 @ Purdue -W
November 20 Wisconsin -?
November 27 @ Ohio State ?

You could realistically start out 6-0. Illinois & Purdue should be wins. Of the games I marked ? you are going to win one of those at the very least.

September 4 Connecticut -W
September 11 @ Notre Dame-W

September 18 Massachusetts -W
September 25 Bowling Green -W
October 2 @ Indiana -W
October 9 Michigan State -W
October 16 Iowa 3:30 PM -?
October 30 @ Penn State-?
November 6 Illinois-W
November 13 @ Purdue -W
November 20 Wisconsin -?
November 27 @ Ohio State ?

You could realistically start out 6-0. Illinois & Purdue should be wins. Of the games I marked ? you are going to win one of those at the very least.

Yeah, but the defense is atrocious. And...honestly, we could've said the same thing last year.

vs. Western Michigan W, 31-7- should have won
vs. No. 18 Notre Dame W, 38-34- toss-up, big win at the time
vs. Eastern Michigan W, 45-17- should have won
vs. Indiana W, 36-33- should have won
at Michigan State * L, 26-20 (OT)- tough road rivalry game, could have gone either way
at No. 12 Iowa * L, 30-28- road game, should have lost, probably could have (and would have) won had Forcier played the last possession
vs. Delaware State W, 63-6- abortion that this was even scheduled
vs. No. 13 Penn State L, 35-10- should have lost
at Illinois L, 38-13- should have won. this is where the season was ended.
vs. Purdue L, 38-36- should have won. team gave up.
at No. 21 Wisconsin L, 45-24- probably should have lost, but more of a toss-up game. got destroyed. embarrassing.
vs. Ohio State L, 21-10- should have lost, but oohi didn't play well at all. with even halfway competent quarterbacking, we may have actually pulled that one out.

The Class of 2010 into the College Football Hall of Fame was announced today. Notable names include Desmond Howard, Pat Tillman, and Sam Cunningham for players, Barry Alvarez and Gene Stallings for coaching.
Posted via Mobile Device

GFY Desmond Howard.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxpoqP9PkqM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxpoqP9PkqM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back