Once again, I need computer help- only runs in safe mode!

OffTopic

civilly discoursed
Reaction score
I was searching for nursing shoes the other night and BAM! Critical hard disk errors! I finally figured out this is a pop-up that makes my chit useless.

I can get my pc to run in safe mode as the administrator but not in the recovery method, just the "normal" way. Nothing else works. I downloaded spyware doctor and it scans saying all is well. But when I try to run in regular mode it still does that shitty, shitty pop-up.

Have not done a system restore yet, will that even help? I need to get the virus off my computer, right? I've already done chkdsk and chkdisk/r.

I don't know where to look in regedit if I have to delete anything there, and my pc is 8 years old so there is a lot of files, yikes.

Please help. boobie pics to the winner

I was searching for nursing shoes the other night and BAM! Critical hard disk errors! I finally figured out this is a pop-up that makes my chit useless.

I can get my pc to run in safe mode as the administrator but not in the recovery method, just the "normal" way. Nothing else works. I downloaded spyware doctor and it scans saying all is well. But when I try to run in regular mode it still does that shitty, shitty pop-up.

Have not done a system restore yet, will that even help? I need to get the virus off my computer, right? I've already done chkdsk and chkdisk/r.

I don't know where to look in regedit if I have to delete anything there, and my pc is 8 years old so there is a lot of files, yikes.

Please help. boobie pics to the winner

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Also check the RunOnce and RunService ones for anything suspicious. If you can get to the registry editor, that's a good sign.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Also check the RunOnce and RunService ones for anything suspicious. If you can get to the registry editor, that's a good sign.
So I go there and then delete suspicious stuff? There is A LOT of stuff. Seriously, it could take me 2 days.

My pc hasn't been running right for years. I chalked it up to just being old.

Sometimes it'll freeze and I'll have to ctrlaltdel and get the task manager up so make it go again. This happens mostly everytime I use it, ackshully. And when it does, it shows my program as not responding, but it also duplicates it and has it shown 2x.

Also, my explorer.exe runs at crazy high 161k-ish ALL THE TIME. I read that if it's saved as C:\\explorer.exe instead of anything but at windows then it is a virus. This has been happening for well over a year now. WTF?

So I go there and then delete suspicious stuff? There is A LOT of stuff. Seriously, it could take me 2 days.

My pc hasn't been running right for years. I chalked it up to just being old.

Sometimes it'll freeze and I'll have to ctrlaltdel and get the task manager up so make it go again. This happens mostly everytime I use it, ackshully. And when it does, it shows my program as not responding, but it also duplicates it and has it shown 2x.

Also, my explorer.exe runs at crazy high 161k-ish ALL THE TIME. I read that if it's saved as C:\\explorer.exe instead of anything but at windows then it is a virus. This has been happening for well over a year now. WTF?

What do you use for anti-virus? Comcast has a free Norton, and AVG makes a decent free one.. Also could look into getting Windows Defender. If there's a lot of stuff running on startup, that could be an issue too.. usually things don't take up much memory, but that depends what you're running on startup.. itunes helper or oracle database.. :p

PC's are cheap, since it's old.. throw it in the trash and buy a new one. That's my advice, take out the hard drive, put it in an external USB case to get the files off of it with the new PC. :D

You say it's giving 'popups', google whatever they are trying to sell you with the words 'malware' and check for removal instructions of whatever you're infected with.

Okay I did that and don't see anything suspicious. Not that I know what suspicious is. Just default value not set stuff. ??

I have a couple of free ones, most notably avg from a few years ago :D One time it went German on me, I have no clue why that happened.

So no one here is smart enough to help me with this?

I thought this place was full of genii?

So no one here is smart enough to help me with this?

I thought this place was full of genii?

Geeze Louise give a guy some time to get to all the new threads already.

Here's what you should do.

You didn't say, but I assume you're not using the bad computer to post here.

Get a USB stick and go to the Malwarebyte's site and download their free anti-malware program. Then download the manual update file here

Next go to the Superanti-spyware site and download their free version.

Get their manual update here (bottom of the page)

Put all four programs on the stick and go to the bad machine.

In safe mode install malwarebytes program and run the manual update.

Do a full scan.

Try a normal boot and see if it works.

If not, install Superanti-spyware, run it's manual update and do a full scan.

Try a normal boot again and see if it works.

If it doesn't, do a system restore (In XP it's at Programs/accessories/system tools). Pick a date you know it was working on and restore that.

Hopefully that will clean things up and get you going.

Regardless, I would also recommend getting Iobit's Advanced System Care free

That will fix a lot of configuration, security, registry etc. issues.

I'm not sure if it will run in safe mode or not.

If this doesn't work, and the PC is connected to the internet, then PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you instructions on how to set up the PC for remote assistance. You can then have your favorite PC geek log onto your PC and fix it.

I am using the bad pc, ackschully. In safe mode. <--see what I did there?

:p

I'll try that and report back!

get off the computer and back in the kitchen!!!

:whip:

Did the first malware thing, kinda acted like it wanted to work after deleteing 19 infected files and rebooting. Now I am trying the super one.

I had computed problems after searching for nurses one time too.
That will teach ya...ROFL
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

So I did all of this and now I don't have the hard disk errors but now the screen is just blank white upon reboot.

So I did all of this and now I don't have the hard disk errors but now the screen is just blank white upon reboot.

In safe mode or regular mode?

When you say "all of this" that include system restore and Advanced System Care?

In safe mode or regular mode?

When you say "all of this" that include system restore and Advanced System Care?
I did it all in safe mode and tried to reboot it in normal after doing the first 2 scans.

Sorry for the inaccuracy. I had been drinking.

I did it all in safe mode and tried to reboot it in normal after doing the first 2 scans.

Sorry for the inaccuracy. I had been drinking.

Ok, by scans, I assume you mean the anti-malware scans.

If yes, try a system restore.

Back