OPI or not OPI?

Brownfan80

Dad of 7, still love the Pats!
Reaction score
The Torrey Smith touchdown where he shoved Champ Bailey out of the way.

The announcers didn't seem to notice the shove, they even commented that Bailey 'couldn't seem to stop his forward momentum, while the more athletic Smith was able to adjust and make the play'.

Clearly, Smith affected Bailey with his hands to gain the position. Was that not OPI?

Pardon if this is already being discussed elsewhere.

Depends on who is throwing the flag which is part of the problem.

True. But by the eyeball test, what do you think personally?

I saw the replay and I was shocked that the flag wasn't thrown, and even more shocked that the announcers didn't seem to see it either.

I thought it was OPI.

Btw hey BF80!

Opa!
Opa!.gif

I thought it was OPI.

Btw hey BF80!

Opa!
Opa!.gif

hey hey, ss!

The weirdest part for me was that the commentators didn't even acknowledge it, they pretended like Champ had just stumbled on upfield on his own and that Smith had made an amazing play.

He did make an amazing play, but it was clearly aided by his shove, not just by his 'athleticism'.

TorreySmithOverChampTD_original_original.gif

Meh, to me it was a let them play game. I don't think it was too bad.

TorreySmithOverChampTD_original_original.gif

Meh, to me it was a let them play game. I don't think it was too bad.

You mean like when A Hern got called for it yesterday? If I am a DB I go lock up with him then fall backwards.

I didn't see much of a push off, a slight grab, but nothing that would seem blatant. The safety just left Champ Bailey out to dry, though.

Looked like a slight grab and not a shove to me. That kind of call goes either way IMO. When I saw the catch the first time I thought "that looks alot like a catch that my created player in Madden would make..."

hey hey, ss!

The weirdest part for me was that the commentators didn't even acknowledge it, they pretended like Champ had just stumbled on upfield on his own and that Smith had made an amazing play.

After reading in a few threads how badly the commentators were during the game, maybe they just decided to shut up and wait before saying anything.

As many calls as the refs blundered, I don't think this was one of them. Without the arm extension, you're almost never going to get a call. Plus, if you watch the gif up there, Bailey's upper body doesn't really react like it was getting pushed. To me, looks like he just didn't track the ball well enough to adjust his momentum in time. After getting burned earlier, it's almost like he was overcompensating.

True. But by the eyeball test, what do you think personally?

I saw the replay and I was shocked that the flag wasn't thrown, and even more shocked that the announcers didn't seem to see it either.

Hey BF80 - hope everything is going well for you.

No it was not OPI, Bailey simply over ran the coverage on an underthrow and Torrey made a good catch. The fact that he had his hand on Champs shoulder isn't PI because he did not push off with it.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about the Hernandez call that negated what would have been a game sealing catch.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when the defender initiates the jam, the receiver is allowed to fight through it. Since that happened, wouldn't that negate the OPI?

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about the Hernandez call that negated what would have been a game sealing catch.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when the defender initiates the jam, the receiver is allowed to fight through it. Since that happened, wouldn't that negate the OPI?

You are right about AH call. One of 6 that I thought were awful.
I'm so glad that the Patriots won so I don't sound like a whiney excuse maker when I say the ref's were terrible on Sunday.

On another forum with a few Texans fans, they were bitching hard over that and the prior catch where he took it 40 yards.

I tried to explain that it looked like he fought off a jam which is perfectly legal (Michael Irving even said it on NFLN) but they acted as if he got away with murder. Which, of course, is ironic considering the amount of favorable calls that went their way, but that's another story.

After the game they still had the audacity to complain that Watt was being held every play and that the Pats get all the calls...

Sent via telekinesis using Tapatalk

On the Smith catch, it looked to me like Champ was running just slightly out of control - meaning with his CoG a bit ahead of his feet - and even an incidental bump by Smith would probably have been enough. So, no OPI on that one.

OTOH, at least one (if not both) of his TDs against the Pats in week-3 should definitely have been flagged as OPI.

Back