OT Any MMORPG'ers out there?

IU_Knightmare said:
Just trying to find some other common ground o:)

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Obviously not me since I have no idea what you mean :)

What exactly does that mean? Sounds complicated.

pookie said:
What exactly does that mean? Sounds complicated.

actually, not really, you simply take anywhere from 3 to 6 patriots fans, 4 quarts of olive oil, 2 cases of Hamms, a llama and . . . oh, no wait, you said MMORPG!

think Everquest (www.everquest.com).

indyblue

indyblue said:
actually, not really, you simply take anywhere from 3 to 6 patriots fans, 4 quarts of olive oil, 2 cases of Hamms, a llama and . . . oh, no wait, you said MMORPG!

think Everquest (www.everquest.com).

indyblue

Ok, the 3 to 6 patriots fans and 4 quarts of olive oil I can understand. The Hamms and llama though? I think you must have us confused with BRONCOS fans. That's ok though, maybe it was an honest mistake.....;)

I know just a little about the topic and know the RPG stands for role playing game.

It's basically a website where people can be anonymous by taking on different identities and match wits with others, spending way too much of their free time on the internet often to the exclusion of the "real world" whatever that means.

These people can actually develop deep rooted addictions and sometimes prefer their fictional identities to their real selves, and are sometimes called upon to battle the occasional troll.

Seems to me that anybody that gets involved with something like that has to be a real internet geek!!!

Thank God we don't get involved with anything like that around here.

LOL, no

MMORPG= Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games re: Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot etc.

And to a lesser extent just MMOG's Massive Multiplayer Online Games like several of the Consoles and PC are putting out Sports, Shooters, Sims etc...

Hawg73 said:
I know just a little about the topic and know the RPG stands for role playing game.

It's basically a website where people can be anonymous by taking on different identities and match wits with others, spending way too much of their free time on the internet often to the exclusion of the "real world" whatever that means.

These people can actually develop deep rooted addictions and sometimes prefer their fictional identities to their real selves, and are sometimes called upon to battle the occasional troll.

Seems to me that anybody that gets involved with something like that has to be a real internet geek!!!

And ROFL hell no

I play Madden 2004 online with my PS2, and the occasional game of Halo on Xbox

IU_Knightmare said:
LOL, no

MMORPG= Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games re: Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot etc.

And to a lesser extent just MMOG's Massive Multiplayer Online Games like several of the Consoles and PC are putting out Sports, Shooters, Sims etc...

I used to play Team Fortress online, but that's pretty much the extent of it... and Team Fortress is certainly not a role playing game. It's a shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, capture the flag type of game.

nepatsfan93 said:
I play Madden 2004 online with my PS2, and the occasional game of Halo on Xbox

Hey 93..... My kids have Madden 2003 for PS2. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but none of us know how to play it. I've heard so much good stuff about it, but I can't figure the damn thing out, as of yet. You got any tips?

I know a couple of Everquest junkies that work for my wife and I just don't have the dedication it would take for something like that. I did ask a lot of questions and am intrigued by the whole thing, but.....

I'm sure it can be very engrossing and don't really look down on anybody that participates as geeks or anything.

What advice would you give to somebody that wanted to get their toes wet in one of these RPG's without a big commitment. Is that possible?

Hawg73 said:

Hi pot, my name is kettle, by the way your black!

Sorry I know that is what you were going for I have just been dying to use that Friends line for weeks now.

Actually, it is funny how cool it is to be a geek now. I was reading an article on that the other day. It figures that the only way I'd even end up being cool is by being a dweeb.

However, in regards to those games, I specifically bought the Gamecube to stay away from the online aspect of gaming. Madden 04 online would ruin my life both personally and professionally. I am a loser.

Matt

pookie said:
Hey 93..... My kids have Madden 2003 for PS2. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but none of us know how to play it. I've heard so much good stuff about it, but I can't figure the damn thing out, as of yet. You got any tips?

First read the manual, run practice drills against no defence and vice versa. Then when you play against the game for the first few times play two player mode with you calling your offence and defence. That way you know what is coming and one player on the defense is not utliized giving you a man advantage. Do this till your confidence is up, this is how I broke my roomie in. I have been playing them since Techmo Bo in the late 80s and it comes naturarlly. I actually learn more from games on the systems than watching TV. Mostly cause the announcers blow!

Matt

Hawg73 said:
I know a couple of Everquest junkies that work for my wife and I just don't have the dedication it would take for something like that. I did ask a lot of questions and am intrigued by the whole thing, but.....

I'm sure it can be very engrossing and don't really look down on anybody that participates as geeks or anything.

What advice would you give to somebody that wanted to get their toes wet in one of these RPG's without a big commitment. Is that possible?

I have played Everquest off and on for 3 years or so. It is very addicting and very hard to put away. I think everyone that has played it has had a problem with the compulsion part of it at one point or another. It's easy for me, because I am a tay at home dad.

My best piece of advice for you to get your feet wet in it is to play the game for your own fun and limit yourself. Understand it really isn't a game you play to "beat" or "win". It is a combination of an online community and a video game, with the more complex portions of the game requiring the help of others, so soical interaction is key to accomplishing goals. Just keep your goals to a minimum early through the learning process, and keep perspective so as not to get caught up in the progression of the game and you will do fine.

Hey! I am a die hard video game and I am no geek!:( I still have a life I play football...(season over) and I have a girl friend!:D But on a more serious note. OK wow whoever thought I would talk about video games at a football website. OK, here is the downlo Hawg ma main man.

First off, Everquest is not the game for you. It for the hardcore of the hardcore. Plus it has a fee of $12.95 a month. Not for a non hardcore type. I would however recommend a game that goes by the name Diablo II. Very easy to put down and no online fees:)

Thanks Bio. I've seen that before but don't know much about it.

I like a good game now and then, but Madden football is the most overrated thing I've ever seen. Too much Ray Lewis-style celebrating and not enough real football. Maybe I just dont have the patience it takes to learn it.

Games these days seem to feature glitzy graphics over solid gameplay.

I must be jaded, because I used to really be into sports simulations and would play "Earl Weaver Baseball" and PGA Tour Golf every night for quite a while, but now I download the free demos and get bored fast.

I would like to find something to get hooked on for a while and would kill for a really good football or baseball game.

Ottawapatty said:
First read the manual, run practice drills against no defence and vice versa. Then when you play against the game for the first few times play two player mode with you calling your offence and defence. That way you know what is coming and one player on the defense is not utliized giving you a man advantage. Do this till your confidence is up, this is how I broke my roomie in. I have been playing them since Techmo Bo in the late 80s and it comes naturarlly. I actually learn more from games on the systems than watching TV. Mostly cause the announcers blow!

Matt

Well there's half my problem... no manual. I'll try

I used to play Techmo Bowl for hours on end!!! What a riot. I didn't think anybody else could possibly remember playing that!

pookie said:
Well there's half my problem... no manual. I'll try

I used to play Techmo Bowl for hours on end!!! What a riot. I didn't think anybody else could possibly remember playing that!

Wrong. Techmo Bowl was a perfect example of what I was saying.

The graphics whacked it, but the gameplay was better than Madden.

They have improved the capabilities of the games by a gazillion fold but the games themselves have no soul. Techmo bowl had some soul.

Hawg73 said:
Wrong. Techmo Bowl was a perfect example of what I was saying.

The graphics whacked it, but the gameplay was better than Madden.

They have improved the capabilities of the games by a gazillion fold but the games themselves have no soul. Techmo bowl had some soul.

i still get chills thinking about both playing or facing Bo Jackson in that game.

<comic book guy>best . . . pixilated . . . athlete . . . ever . . . </comic book guy>

indyblue

Back