OT: Descartes vs. Kierkegaard

Reaction score
So I've been having this debate....

IMO, Descartes' ideas basically... Well, I don't think realism has any place in philosophy.

Whereas, Kierkegaard, as well as Nietzsche, I think truly nail the philosophy of philosophy. Truth is subjectivity.

Plus... Descartes contridicted himself in his conclusion that God did exist. So he really didn't even adhere to his own fricken philosophies.

So just wondering.... If you're into all this philosophical crap, which doctrine do you follow?

Descartes and realisim/rationalism?
Kierkegaard/Nietzsche and existentialism?

Or another? Idealism? Your own?

Yeah, I know....

Sorry to break up all the draft talk that I hear is going around here.

Well.....Descartes' proof of the existence of God falls short due to certain assumptions he makes - specifically the idea that man cannot imagine something that does not somehow exist. He also did not consider the possibility of the knowledge of perfection being a negative knowledge. I.E., maybe we don't really know what perfection is, but we can sure as hell complain about stuff that does exist. Also, the famous idea "I think, therfore I am," falls into trouble because it is a reflexive determination, leading to circular logic. The "I" is playing the parts of both subject and object.

I like Kierkegaardt (sp?) myself, not because of his deal about despair (which has certain merits), but because of his idea of reality being a synthesis between those things that are finite and those that are infinite.

:thumb:

I agree with descarte.

I can be sure that I exist because I can question my own existance. And logically, if I can question my own existance, then I do in fact exist (otherwise how could I question it?) While I cannot be sure exactly what form I exist in, (be it the "brain-in-a-jar" or in my current form) I can be sure that at least on some level I exist.

It is on what level that I exist which is up for question. Does my mind see what my senses tell it? Or do my senses see what my mind tells them? That's an important question, to which there will never be any sure answer, at least without at some point or another taking a giant leap of faith.

What I cannot also be sure of, is if YOU all exist. It is quite concievable that you do not in fact exist, and are simply figments of my mind. Or you could potentially be figments that some unknown third party has put into my mind to decieve me.

Personally, I believe that reality is what I see in front of me. Whether or not this is the actual reality I can and will never be sure of, however I have decided that it is not relevant if it IS in fact real, as long as I believe it to be real. Because if the reality that I see is somehow false, either through my own misguided thoughts, or through some deception, it only becomes relavent to my mind if I am presented with the counter reality. And even if I were presented with the counter reality, I would have no way of knowing which were in the fact the "real" reality, because I cannot trust my own sense. At least I cannot prove logically that what my eyes see (or what my mind tells me my eyes see) is real.

I suppose, to some degree, ignorance is bliss.

does a guy reading Descartes and Kierkegaard simultaneously while in public attract hot chicks to stop by and offer him a BJ?

philosophically, of course although in reality this would be ideal

in my warped existence

jaric on 03-14-2007 at 06:37 PM said:

What I cannot also be sure of, is if YOU all exist. It is quite concievable that you do not in fact exist, and are simply figments of my mind. Or you could potentially be figments that some unknown third party has put into my mind to decieve me.

Holy crap...he's on to us!!!

Battlestations everyone!!!! This is not a drill!!!!

southcarolina on 03-14-2007 at 06:39 PM said:
Holy crap...he's on to us!!!

Battlestations everyone!!!! This is not a drill!!!!
Fug him

he's just a Colts fan, ergo a simpleton

don't change any of your behaviour (British spelling for extra spiffiness) and he'll become unaware that he even had a cogent, pointed, perceptive thought in the first place

he'll be off starting a draft thread any minute now -- remain as you were, soldier

mgoblue101415 on 03-14-2007 at 06:13 PM said:
So I've been having this debate....

IMO, Descartes' ideas basically... Well, I don't think realism has any place in philosophy.

Whereas, Kierkegaard, as well as Nietzsche, I think truly nail the philosophy of philosophy. Truth is subjectivity.

Plus... Descartes contridicted himself in his conclusion that God did exist. So he really didn't even adhere to his own fricken philosophies.

So just wondering.... If you're into all this philosophical crap, which doctrine do you follow?

Descartes and realisim/rationalism?
Kierkegaard/Nietzsche and existentialism?

Or another? Idealism? Your own?

Yeah, I know....

Sorry to break up all the draft talk that I hear is going around here.
I once took a philosophy class, and though it was the biggest waste of time I ever spent. About the only thing I can remember form it is, "I think therefore I am". You obviously got a lot more out of philosophy than I did. Maybe you had a better teacher, or maybe you're just smarter than me.

I knew I wasn't likely to get a good grade, the way the teacher reacted when I said, "If you spend your life trying to figure out if you exist or not, you probably shouldn't have existed".

jaric on 03-14-2007 at 03:37 PM said:
I agree with descarte.

I can be sure that I exist because I can question my own existance. And logically, if I can question my own existance, then I do in fact exist (otherwise how could I question it?) While I cannot be sure exactly what form I exist in, (be it the "brain-in-a-jar" or in my current form) I can be sure that at least on some level I exist.

It is on what level that I exist which is up for question. Does my mind see what my senses tell it? Or do my senses see what my mind tells them? That's an important question, to which there will never be any sure answer, at least without at some point or another taking a giant leap of faith.

Personally, I believe that reality is what I see in front of me. Whether or not this is the actual reality I can and will never be sure of, however I have decided that it is not relevant if it IS in fact real, as long as I believe it to be real. Because if the reality that I see is somehow false, either through my own misguided thoughts, or through some deception, it only becomes relavent to my mind if I am presented with the counter reality. And even if I were presented with the counter reality, I would have no way of knowing which were in the fact the "real" reality, because I cannot trust my own sense. At least I cannot prove logically that what my eyes see (or what my mind tells me my eyes see) is real.

I suppose, to some degree, ignorance is bliss.

How can you be sure you created the thoughts you think? And what is "I"? Is it unitary? If you question yourself, what is questioning and what is being questioned? And other such whatever.

(P - shoulder) on 03-14-2007 at 06:58 PM said:
How can you be sure you created the thoughts you think? And what is "I"? Is it unitary? If you question yourself, what is questioning and what is being questioned? And other such whatever.
Excellent questions to be sure.

But for the purposes of proving my own existance completely irrelevant.

All that is relevant is that I am thinking them. If I am thinking them because they are my own thoughts, or thoughts put there by something else does not matter.

Because I think, my existance (in whatever form it may be) is proven. At least to myself. Because if I do not exist, I would not be able to think these thoughts, be they mine or something elses. I cannot "prove" to others that I exist, the same way I cannot prove that others exist.

For example I cannot prove that YOU exist. You could very well be a internet version of my own mental self doubt, the same way that roadgrader could be an extention of my mental insecurites projected onto the guise of an internet poster.

However, and this is the important part, I believe you exist even though I cannot prove it. It is possible to believe something even if you cannot prove it.

Roadgrader sadly, does not exist. He probably was created by some childhood trauma repressed by years of collegiate alcohal abuse.

Re: Re: OT: Descartes vs. Kierkegaard

dchester on 03-14-2007 at 05:50 PM said:
I once took a philosophy class, and though it was the biggest waste of time I ever spent. About the only thing I can remember form it is, "I think therefore I am". You obviously got a lot more out of philosophy than I did. Maybe you had a better teacher, or maybe you're just smarter than me.

I knew I wasn't likely to get a good grade, the way the teacher reacted when I said, "If you spend your life trying to figure out if you exist or not, you probably shouldn't have existed".

Well that was Descartes and IMO, he was an idiot.

You should read Kierkegaard or Nietzsche or Sartre. They're much more interesting, and more accurate, IMO.

Truth is something different to everyone.

Also.... Nietzsche has one of the best quotes ever....

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

I was going to use that in my sig but Anni already had a Nietzsche quote and I didn't want to seem like a copy cat.

jaric on 03-14-2007 at 06:26 PM said:

However, and this is the important part, I believe you exist even though I cannot prove it. It is possible to believe something even if you cannot prove it.

Well then you don't agree with Descartes, like you said in your first post, because your above statement goes completely against Descartes' doctrine.

Course, he went against his own doctrine so I'm not sure how sound a doctrine it really is.

Or did you just agree with him on the whole "I think therefore..." crap?

Yeah, but proving to whom?

Nah, I pretty much agree, I just think that a deductive reasoning is not the most basic level of truth, which is how it is represented by descartes, and therefore if we accept it as such we are gonna miss some stuff happening in the craacks of reality there.

And Roadgrader is definitely real. In fact, I can prove it, but I'll need the following items to do it:

A beer bong
A rowboat oar
Some calamine lotion
A particle accelerator
The June 2003 issue of Penthouse

Re: Re: Re: OT: Descartes vs. Kierkegaard

mgoblue101415 on 03-14-2007 at 07:30 PM said:
Well that was Descartes and IMO, he was an idiot.
The only thing I took from descarte was his theory on proof of one's existance.

While it may seem like a simple thing, being able to prove ones own existance is imporant, because if you cannot be sure you exist, what purpose is there considering anything else philosophically?

There are very few things in this world that we actually "know." The rest is just a leap of faith.

BTW thanks MGO for posting this, now I want to go pull out my old Aldous Huxley books I haven't read in awhile

(P - shoulder) on 03-14-2007 at 07:36 PM said:

And Roadgrader is definitely real. In fact, I can prove it, but I'll need the following items to do it:

A beer bong
A rowboat oar
Some calamine lotion
A particle accelerator
The June 2003 issue of Penthouse
I'm willing to help with this "RG is real" experiment up to a point there (P-s)

I was shy before finding the Planet and while I have come out of my shell I still have my whoa-be-wary radar on

I'm OK with your list of items to be incorporated in the test but what is going to happen to me with the calamine lotion again?

(P - shoulder) on 03-14-2007 at 06:30 PM said:
Also, the famous idea "I think, therfore I am," falls into trouble because it is a reflexive determination, leading to circular logic. The "I" is playing the parts of both subject and object.

Jaric partially addressed your issues on this point, but he missed the central problem with this statement. It is a miss quote.

He never summed it up in a single phrase, but if he did it would be "I doubt, therefore I am.

Again, Jaric explained his argument, but it appears not to have sunk in, so i'll go into more detail.

Descarte was trying to answer the question concerning the nature and existence of reality.

One could argue that reality had to exist and that our senses showed us what that reality was.

If this perspective was true, then reality must exist independently of the observer.

Descartes asked if this perspective was true. The only way you know anything about the world outside of your consciousness is from what your senses tell you.

How do you know that what they tell you is real?

After all, you can have a dream that seems as real as being awake, yet it is not "real".

So you have no way of proving that the world your senses tells you exists actually exists, since your only way of interacting with that world is through your senses.

It is a logical conundrum for which there is no solution.

He then took the question to the next logical step, if I cannot know if the world is real, how do I know that I am real?

His solution was to consider the doubt that the question raised.

Where does this doubt come from? "Who" is asking this question?

If the self does not exist, then who is doubting the existence of the self?

The argument appears circular in the same sense that the Anthropic Principle seems circular. That is the solution is what it is because any other solution would mean the question would never be asked.

If there is no self, then how can there be any doubt about the existence of the self? The existence of the question demonstrates that there is a consciousness to ask the question.

If there was a "non-self" to ask the question about the existence of the self, then this non-self would have all the properties of a self and thus not be a non-self, but a self.

dchester on 03-14-2007 at 06:50 PM said:

I stumbled into taking philosophy classes when I went to UCONN. I majored in Physics and since that was in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I was required to take a minimum number of classes in a variety of different categories to cover the original "seven liberal arts".

Philosophy was a wild card that could be counted towards any category, so I took a few.

Once I took a couple of them, I realized something about them that made me take enough to minor in Philosophy.

The thing I got out of Philosophy courses was to learn how to think. Anytime someone thinks about a subject, they have unstated assumptions and preconceived notions about things that are their starting point for how they then address an issue.

For the vast majority of people, they aren't consciously aware of these boundaries and starting points for their ideas. It isn't unusual for these assumptions to be wrong or inappropriate for a specific situation and if you are not aware of them, you'll never be able to figure out why what you thought was right is wrong.

My Philosophy courses taught me how to take a step back and look at the assumptions and preconceived notions and ask if these were appropriate for the present situation.

I found that this way of thinking complemented my Physics training since it approached the problems I was solving in Physics from the opposite direction.

Of course, since the original name for Physics was "Natural Philosophy", this shouldn't be too surprising.

Like many of the "older" kids here, I don't remember a whole lot from my college days.

But I tend not to think of these two philosophers as representing polar opposites of a single spectrum of thinking. And I'm not sure it's helpful to get trapped into either/or thinking. Two centuries separate these two men and (I believe) that, at the core of their work, they were interested in very different sets of questions. One being...how the #$%^ can I know anything? (Descartes), and the other one being...how the #$%^ can I know what anything means? how do I ascribe it value? How do I know it to be beautiful? Good? Ethical?(Kierkegaard).

I'm not sure Descartes was exactly a realist. He was a certainly a rationalist. But, unlike the empiricists (who are more Descartes' contemporaries), I believe that he was more interested in a prior reasoning which is theoretical rather than based on actual experience. He lived at a time when there was great confidence in man's ability to reason and know. Of course, a lot more history comes between us and Descartes than us and Kierkegaard.

At a certain point, in the history of philosophy, the project of epistemology (a.k.a. -- the theory of knowledge which is Descartes' primary interest) started to break down. Descartes extremely radical question... how can I be certain of anything in some a priori fashion? How can I really know anything? ultimately becomes a kind of impossible task. This is why, later on, the primary project of philosophy switches tracks and becomes primarily interested in hermeneutics... i.e., (how do I interpret experience, if experience may be considered a kind of "text.") This explains why over centuries of time, the main strands of philosophy move toward existentialism, structuralism, then post-structuralism/ deconstruction and now...post-deconstruction. (I'm told that deconstruction is becoming passe but I don't know exactly what's taken its place.) All this explains why it's often hard to tell the difference between a graduate student getting a Ph.D in philosophy and a graduate student getting a Ph.D in literature.

All of this happened because ultimately, most people gave up believing that we could ever really "know" anything in the way Descartes was hoping we could know it... or more accurately... in the way he was hoping we could know how we know it. So, whether we know or like it or not, our world is dominated by relativistic thinking. This said, there are still philosophers interested in epistemology.

While you can count me among the relativists, I find it difficult to consider one of the greatest Enlightenment thinkers; a man considered the founder of modern philosophy; a key figure in the advancement of mathematics; the creator of the graphical coordinate system (without which there could be no calculus) an idiot.

Because if Descartes is an idiot, then "relatively speaking" what are most of us in comparison?

I shudder to think.

Interesting topic. Are you working on a paper?

I did, actually, agree that it is reasonable for one to assume one's own existence most of the way down page one. I was kind of playing Devil's advocate because I think accepting Descartes's statement as is can often naturally lead to certain assumptions about the relationships between things, such as subject/object, thought and self, etc. And I wanted to point out that it is a statement based on deductive reasoning, and is not a direct empirical datum. That's all.

Back