OT: Dragon Age: Origins

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
I just got this and w00t!

If you like CRPG's, this is a must have.

When bioware said this was the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate", they weren't kidding.

The graphics and attention to detail is amazing.

I have it for the PC.. gonna play it in a few. Gameplay is great, and graphics, sound are amazing.. it's the whole package. I give it 9.8 out of 10. :D

I bought it for PS3, but have only had time to play the prologue stuff so far.

Combat system seems a little iffy on PS3, but other than that it's pretty solid so far.

Combat system seems a little iffy on PS3, but other than that it's pretty solid so far.

I always wonder how games like that translate to a console.. do you have a keyboard for the PS3? Some games like RTS games and Sims type games just don't port well.. and I know RPGs have a history of the same...

I always wonder how games like that translate to a console.. do you have a keyboard for the PS3? Some games like RTS games and Sims type games just don't port well.. and I know RPGs have a history of the same...
Nah, play it with the PS3 controller, using a ton of buttons. I prefer a keyboard.

I hear the gay elf on elf scene is awesome, if you're into that sort of thing.
google it if you didn't know about it yet. :blink:

on a serious note. game does look badass.

Black Isle is teh awesome. The Baldur's Series, Neverwinter, and my #1, Planescape: Torment...

But I won't be buying that unless I've already decided on a divorce attorney.

Addictive personality - I haz one.

I was really interested in this game, but I've heard alot of mixed/bad reviews. Maybe I'll give it a rent before I decide whether or not to buy it

I never got into those kind of games. I'd like to know what draws people to them?
Since my kid has finally decided (I think) to become a game designer.
Supposed to be a growth industry.

I should have said that I have the PC version.

My machine exceeds the recommended hardware, so I'm able to put all the eye candy settings on maximum. :toast:

I recall reading a couple of reviews before I got it, and some of them said that the PC version was much better than the console version, if your PC had the hardware. It wasn't just controls and functionality, but the graphics and features were better.

To answer BL's question, for me the appeal of a good RPG is similar to a good adventure/action movie or book.

If it's done well, you can become just as immersed in the story as you can in a movie or book. The fact that it's interactive and you change how the story plays out is just gravy.

And to answer BL's question, same as what OPT said....it's like reading a great book or watching a great movie. The only difference is that you're playing through it, and these games take longer than a few hours. For me at least, the thing I look for in RPGs are the stories. I can deal with not-so-great combat (see: mass effect) if the story is good. Nowadays, you can actually affect the storyline with your decisions which obviously makes things that much more interesting.

If you're the type of person that typically blows through the conversation in a game then this game isn't for you. Choices have consequences and sometimes you won't see that until later in the game.

You'll need to make a huge investment of your time in the story

If you don't apply good combat tactics you and your party will be slaughtered. Sometimes very quickly.

The one complaint that seems to be consistent is the difficulty balancing. I've been told there's no shame playing on "easy" :harumph:

With the huge push of the Dragon Age IP (Intellectual Property) I hope they put out an animated series. Blur studio did a fantastic job on their promo CG trailers.

i bought it and returned it.. i LOVE RPGs.. the gameplay was amazing.. battle system was amazing.. the whole concept was amazing.. but..

the whole time i found myself wondering where my Gunblade was or if I was going to get an airship somewhere...

bottom line is.. it's an amazing game.. i just can't get into the story.. dungeons and dragons and wizards.. just not my thing.. I cant WAIT for Final Fantasy XIII

i bought it and returned it.. i LOVE RPGs.. the gameplay was amazing.. battle system was amazing.. the whole concept was amazing.. but..

the whole time i found myself wondering where my Gunblade was or if I was going to get an airship somewhere...

bottom line is.. it's an amazing game.. i just can't get into the story.. dungeons and dragons and wizards.. just not my thing.. I cant WAIT for Final Fantasy XIII

Bummer for you, because loving RPGs but not being a fan of dragons and wizards sort of limits the options. I wish they'd make more space themed and post apocolyptic RPGs.. but those always seem to have a first person shooter element and I hate FPS games. The graphics on the PC on max are pretty awesome.. I have to agree with that.

Bummer for you, because loving RPGs but not being a fan of dragons and wizards sort of limits the options. I wish they'd make more space themed and post apocolyptic RPGs.. but those always seem to have a first person shooter element and I hate FPS games. The graphics on the PC on max are pretty awesome.. I have to agree with that.
Half Life Orange Box FTW.

I'm with you on that.

To answer BL's question, for me the appeal of a good RPG is similar to a good adventure/action movie or book.

If it's done well, you can become just as immersed in the story as you can in a movie or book. The fact that it's interactive and you change how the story plays out is just gravy.
Thank you for your answer. Interesting. I looked up what made a good game designer and it was a passion for telling stories.

The common background/quals for a designer I was surprised to find were English/Writing with liberal arts as a common major; not just game art or storyboarding. She had considered being an author at one time as well as an illustrator. This seems to combine those. Some come up through the art/animation or programming side though too. If they could still do a good story.

I always thought they were mindless entertainment that hypnotized people.

What, there's not much space themed games out there?

Back