OT: Help! My computer has a virus....

Ray Crittenden

Sometimes
Reaction score
I need some help on restoring my system. The computer I use at home has a bunch of viruses/spyware on it. I tried to just go and use system restore but it is only letting me go back 3 days - that won't help at all. The "spyware removers" I have aren't able to get rid of anything and I am sure th computer will crash very soon. Is there a way I can just restore the system to the "default" condition in which I bought it? I dont care if I lose all the info on there all our itunes etc are backed up onto cd's. Or is there a way to delete everything but windows and internet explorer? We dont use the computer at home for much but going online. I dont really have the 500+ bucks right now to buy a new computer either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I need some help on restoring my system. The computer I use at home has a bunch of viruses/spyware on it. I tried to just go and use system restore but it is only letting me go back 3 days - that won't help at all. The "spyware removers" I have aren't able to get rid of anything and I am sure th computer will crash very soon. Is there a way I can just restore the system to the "default" condition in which I bought it? I dont care if I lose all the info on there all our itunes etc are backed up onto cd's. Or is there a way to delete everything but windows and internet explorer? We dont use the computer at home for much but going online. I dont really have the 500+ bucks right now to buy a new computer either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unless you have a very small hard drive (a few gigabytes) or have altered the system restore settings you should have more than 3 days of restore points.

That strikes me as strange.

I'd download and install AVG Free.

It's one of the best free anti-virus program out there.

Update it and run a full system scan.

I'd then download and install Ad-Aware free

Then I'd get the free version of Advanced Windows Care

Update it and run it.

Depending on how bad your system is, you may need to run all three multiple times to clean up your system.

Unless you have a very small hard drive (a few gigabytes) or have altered the system restore settings you should have more than 3 days of restore points.

I had the same problem recently. I went to do a System Restore and had NO restore points. @#$&ing Vista.... :banghead:

I'd download and install AVG Free.

It's one of the best free anti-virus program out there.

I'd then download and install Ad-Aware free

Then I'd get the free version of Advanced Windows Care

Update it and run it.

Depending on how bad your system is, you may need to run all three multiple times to clean up your system.

I have to second this recommendation. My laptop was close to crashing, every time I would try to go online, my security devices would turn off. Then viruses just started to mound up. Hubby placed this program and it has been clear sailing for me. My computer was very close to being a wasteland. I did not have any lost of data.

Back