OT: Tattoo

ummm. no thanks, thats gross and a total turn off for me. a small tat here or there can be sexy or cute, but people that go too far, like in this pic, is a total turn off. Katvonde or however you spell her name is sooo cute, but she is such a turn off..she ruined herself IMO.

Whether its fair or not, I just equate Tats in general to lower IQ or folks just desperate to be noticed, and many times a lack of class. I always say,(to my Daughter) if its really that important, have a picture somewhere that you can see it on a daily basis..Why the need to have it on your Body? Or if everyone was blind but you, would you still have yourself tatooed up? Probably not.

I can really appreciate what Tattoo artist`s do and I actually watch "LA Ink" cause their artwork is impressive, and I also watch American Chopper for the same reason, and while riding Bikes can be fun, its just not smart overall.Too many bad drivers out there ruin it.

A lot of people get tats in concealed places ( on the butt for instance), so if no one can see it I am not sure it's about being desperate to be noticed.

Personally I have no tats and don't want to get one. But that's me. It's a free country, people can do what they want. I think it's a waste of money, and 20or 30 yrs down the road those tats are going to look like shit on anyone.

I don't find it attractive when a hot woman has a huge amount of ink showing but again that's me. My wife has a small angel on her shoulder, I think it looks nice.
My brother in law subscribes to the "ink every inch of my body" theory, and takes great pride in it.. good for him. I'll pass however.

It is strange the people automatically associate tatoos with bikers, that certainly isn't the case anymore.

A coworkers wife works at one of laser skin care facilities and he reports they do land office business removing tats, so not everyone seems to enjoy all the ink after they get it done.

And bringing bikers into the discussion is a bit of a hijack but I agree with Mikie, you only live once, and I have ridden for 30 years. You can get killed walking down the street too if you aren't careful.

So by getting a tattoo will this make me even more of a sinner? :rolleyes: I'm in trouble

Alot of people have a story to their tattoos and they are meaningful. Usually it's these that are well done because those people have put thought and time into it.

On the other hand there are alot of awful tattoos out there as well. I dated a guy that had "your name" on his butt. He was drunk and woke up with that tattoo.

A tattoo will be with you for life, unless you got the money to spend to get it removed. You should do alot of research before getting one and like Lisa said make sure you go to a great artist.

For the comment about I should have one by now, no I don't because I just now started putting together what I want. It's not like my piercings that I can just take out whenever I want. I'll take my time. I am sure of what I want, now I just need to see an artist draw it out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E14N08JVR6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E14N08JVR6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

What adults want to do with their body's is their business, and where they put a tattoo is their business.

However, we need to teach kids that want tattoo's and are getting them or shortly after leaving home getting them to think about their employment down the road. I think they need to be reminded. How many high paying jobs can you secure with neck, face or hand tattoo's? How many millionaires that are not athletes or rock stars or actors do you know that are covered with tattoos? If you want to make 30 grand all your life, go ahead, tat away. If you want to make some real money, make sure you can cover it up.

Tattoo's categorize you for the rest of your life. Every job interview, they will be noticed. Hopefully they are in areas that can be covered up, but that seems to be less and less mainstream now, because everyone wants to show off their art. Why box yourself in? Especially in an economic climate like this one, why would you chance losing a job to a less qualified candidate because they fit the look, but you don't?

I apologize for the rant, but I work with some teenage boys every week, and they all think that tattoo's are the greatest, and can't wait until they get them. They think about where and what all the time. I'm worried for them, and it pisses me off how influenced they can be with this kind of stuff. Where is the ambition in our youth? What happened to it? I guess that is a topic for another day.

Just my .02

What adults want to do with their body's is their business, and where they put a tattoo is their business.

However, we need to teach kids that want tattoo's and are getting them or shortly after leaving home getting them to think about their employment down the road. I think they need to be reminded. How many high paying jobs can you secure with neck, face or hand tattoo's? How many millionaires that are not athletes or rock stars or actors do you know that are covered with tattoos? If you want to make 30 grand all your life, go ahead, tat away. If you want to make some real money, make sure you can cover it up.

Tattoo's categorize you for the rest of your life. Every job interview, they will be noticed. Hopefully they are in areas that can be covered up, but that seems to be less and less mainstream now, because everyone wants to show off their art. Why box yourself in? Especially in an economic climate like this one, why would you chance losing a job to a less qualified candidate because they fit the look, but you don't?

I apologize for the rant, but I work with some teenage boys every week, and they all think that tattoo's are the greatest, and can't wait until they get them. They think about where and what all the time. I'm worried for them, and it pisses me off how influenced they can be with this kind of stuff. Where is the ambition in our youth? What happened to it? I guess that is a topic for another day.

Just my .02
10 years ago I would have agreed but as we move forward in this era of tattoo's, the ones doing the hiring will be the ones with the tattoo. They will not be judgemental of the other because of this.

10 years ago I was telling my students to think twice for this very reason, that they would not want to be stuck in a long sleeve shirt in an office environment. I now see those very same kids as Licensed adults running projects and hiring a team to work under them with complete sleeves. I know longer think the stigma they faced is there for a large portion of the population, I may be wrong but I see the mainstreaming of the 'tattoo' changing the general populations views.

First, it kind of is really stereotypical to equate bikers with tattoos. While this may have been true in years past, it's simply not the case today.

Second, while I somewhat agree with what both Bacdoc and Mikie said, the problem with young people getting inked up today is that there's no real meaning to it. If anyone has ever read or watched documentaries on the history of tattooing throughout the world, there has always been meaning to getting ink. Whether it's Samoans who accept it as a rite of passage or American military personnel that had their wife's or girlfriend's name put on them to remember them by, or the name of their battleship, there's always been importance of a piece of artwork on their body. So many people today get tribal tattoos or Chinese symbols without even giving it a thought about what it means, just that it's "cool." For example, how many people that get a dragon tattoo actually know that originally people got dragons inked on them because it was a symbol for warding off evil that may come upon them?

Tattooing is a drastic measure to take upon one's person. It should be given a lot of thought and have meaning forever. My daughter asked my permission, even though she was 21, and I told her yes. Her father told her before he died that if she sees a penny on the sidewalk to pick it up because it will mean he's watching over her. She got a tattoo of a penny with the birth and death date of her dad. It is meaningful, and that's what tattoos should be.

Among Mr. PFL's full body coverage of ink, he finally got a tattoo with my name on it. Of course, it's a dagger going through a heart, but it has my name on the dagger. I wonder what I'm supposed to make of that. :huh:

10 years ago I would have agreed but as we move forward in this era of tattoo's, the ones doing the hiring will be the ones with the tattoo. They will not be judgemental of the other because of this.

10 years ago I was telling my students to think twice for this very reason, that they would not want to be stuck in a long sleeve shirt in an office environment. I now see those very same kids as Licensed adults running projects and hiring a team to work under them with complete sleeves. I know longer think the stigma they faced is there for a large portion of the population, I may be wrong but I see the mainstreaming of the 'tattoo' changing the general populations views.

As PFL mentioned there's an awful lot of thoughtlessness in tattoo selection, I would mention the guy we interviewed for a job once with a pot leaf on his forearm.

Hmmmm. Next candidate!!!

As PFL mentioned there's an awful lot of thoughtlessness in tattoo selection, I would mention the guy we interviewed for a job once with a pot leaf on his forearm.

Hmmmm. Next candidate!!!
ok that was not thinking... but Jaric would have hired him for that reason...he is a hippy you know :D

that was what I talked to the kids about, while to someone else my tattoo may be a WTF? moment, they mean something to me, a lot to me. I tried to explain to then to give me the meaning of the tattoo they wanted, while most the time they did once and a while I would see a pistol on a forearm and call the kid an idiot for the reason you stated because I knew it was just a 'tough guy tat' not something with meaning.

most these kids were smart, a dark long sleeve dress shirt was a standard interview attire - you would never have known for the collar with a tight Tie covered the neck area while the sleeves covered the tattoo sleeves.

I agree they should be well thought out and placed in a proper place

in your eyes, in the eyes of others she is beautiful just the way she is....lisa pm me her digits :D

Lower IQ for those with tats? desperate to get noticed? no Class?

why because they have an artist use them as a canvas?

you would be surprised at the people who have tattoos, but you only look in one direction because you have a pre-conceived image of the type of person who would dare to do that. Maybe in your closed circle of friends no one has them but do not pre-judge others for that action gives the image that you lack Class, lack knowledge of the topic and maybe one could say that your coming into this thread was just an attempt to get noticed. I mean why else would you take the time to respond to a topic you obviosly do not care for than to do it to get noticed.

I find it interesting that your daughter appears to want a tattoo, how old is she? if she is over 18 she may very well have one already that you do not know of

you can not go through life in fear of everything, you need to get out there, experience and enjoy life for it is too short.

If riding a bike makes you happy, ride a bike.

If getting a tattoo makes you happy, get a tattoo

If living in a sterile environment makes you happy, by all means do, there is nothing wrong with it. Live and let live

I agree with your points, I`m am far from being a prude. I lived life in the fast lane as a Kid, rode a Motorcycle, smoked pot, etc, had bad ass biker friends. I have pretty much seen and/or done it all.

My Daughter is 16, and when she is old enough she can do what she wants, its her life. If she does I will still have my opinion.

Part of my view is being a bit old fashioned. I definitely am in many ways. As I said, Tattoos like what Des(pattrietteaz) has, or a small tattoo here or there I have no problem with. Its when people go overboard that I find it ugly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt tatoos originate as a means to intimidate opponent warring tribes? It is then easy to see how over the Years Gangs of all kinds, Biker, street, etc, made them a staple in their lives. Many of the Biker gang members I knew were not all that bright., and often ended up dead, in prison, or the local jail on a regular basis. Most street gang members are not all that bright, most end up in prison or dead as well.

Another take I have is many kids today just follow the crowd and do what everyone else seems to be doing, not that thats anything new. When I was in the Military, almost everyone was getting tatted up, just because everyone else was doing it.

Its just not for me, but this is America and for the time being we have freedoms, so do what pleases you. No-one should care about someone elses views. if you believe in what you are doing, you shouldnt be bothered by people who feel like I do.

Riding Motorcycles is also allot of fun, if I didnt have kids that depend on me, I might test the odds and have one myself. Its not about living in a sterile environment, its having different priorities when Kids are involved, but that surely doesnt extend to everyone, some people are going to do what they want when they want and always will.

stop looking for reasons to mis interprate what I am saying. I am not attacking anyone, just like you might not like the color of my car, or my hairstyle, or whatever,thats completely fine.

I agree with your points, I`m am far from being a prude. I lived life in the fast lane as a Kid, rode a Motorcycle, smoked pot, etc, had bad ass biker friends. I have pretty much seen and/or done it all.

My Daughter is 16, and when she is old enough she can do what she wants, its her life. If she does I will still have my opinion.

Part of my view is being a bit old fashioned. I definitely am in many ways. As I said, Tattoos like what Des(pattrietteaz) has, or a small tattoo here or there I have no problem with. Its when people go overboard that I find it ugly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt tatoos originate as a means to intimidate opponent warring tribes? It is then easy to see how over the Years Gangs of all kinds, Biker, street, etc, made them a staple in their lives. Many of the Biker gang members I knew were not all that bright., and often ended up dead, in prison, or the local jail on a regular basis. Most street gang members are not all that bright, most end up in prison or dead as well.

Another take I have is many kids today just follow the crowd and do what everyone else seems to be doing, not that thats anything new. When I was in the Military, almost everyone was getting tatted up, just because everyone else was doing it.

Its just not for me, but this is America and for the time being we have freedoms, so do what pleases you. No-one should care about someone elses views. if you believe in what you are doing, you shouldnt be bothered by people who feel like I do.

Riding Motorcycles is also allot of fun, if I didnt have kids that depend on me, I might test the odds and have one myself. Its not about living in a sterile environment, its having different priorities when Kids are involved, but that surely doesnt extend to everyone, some people are going to do what they want when they want and always will.

stop looking for reasons to mis interprate what I am saying. I am not attacking anyone, just like you might not like the color of my car, or my hairstyle, or whatever,thats completely fine.

There is a bit of stereotyping going on here no?

I find that tattoos can be beautiful no matter what size as long as they are tastefully done.

I will get my tattoo and it will be gorgeous and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. It's for me and no one else. No I am not a biker. No I am not in a gang. I am a girl who enjoys some nice art on a person's body. I am far from ugly and am a beautiful person inside and out and a tattoo will not change that. Judging people really sux.

OK initially it 1st came off as more an attack but it's all good

as for your daughter if she asks your opinion I suggest you tell her at 18 to wait until 21, if she still wants it then by all means have at it.

you don't have a red car do you? that is the only color car I am not a fan of

or the new brady Bieber hair style

:D

So by getting a tattoo will this make me even more of a sinner? :rolleyes: I'm in trouble

Alot of people have a story to their tattoos and they are meaningful. Usually it's these that are well done because those people have put thought and time into it.

On the other hand there are alot of awful tattoos out there as well. I dated a guy that had "your name" on his butt. He was drunk and woke up with that tattoo.

A tattoo will be with you for life, unless you got the money to spend to get it removed. You should do alot of research before getting one and like Lisa said make sure you go to a great artist.

For the comment about I should have one by now, no I don't because I just now started putting together what I want. It's not like my piercings that I can just take out whenever I want. I'll take my time. I am sure of what I want, now I just need to see an artist draw it out.

Hi TBL..I didnt say you SHOULD have one by now, I said cause the thread was started 5 months ago, you probably had one by now. Probably the only Tat I would consider getting would be one of my kids, or Patriots related.At this stage, not likely to happen, but you never know.

OK initially it 1st came off as more an attack but it's all good

as for your daughter if she asks your opinion I suggest you tell her at 18 to wait until 21, if she still wants it then by all means have at it.

you don't have a red car do you? that is the only color car I am not a fan of

or the new brady Bieber hair style

:D

Damn I have a red car :sulk:

Damn I have a red car :sulk:
a friendly Police Officer told me many years ago that they pulled over more red cars than any other color - usually that is the sports car color and a ticket would be given - and he was not the only one on the force to do so.

it stuck with me all these years

I find that tattoos can be beautiful no matter what size as long as they are tastefully done.

I will get my tattoo and it will be gorgeous and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. It's for me and no one else. No I am not a biker. No I am not in a gang. I am a girl who enjoys some nice art on a person's body. I am far from ugly and am a beautiful person inside and out and a tattoo will not change that. Judging people really sux.

Hate to say it, but dont we all sterotpye to some degree? As I said, whether its fair or not, human beings often do. I had a female co-worker once and we got along great, and she had this big tat on the whole side of her arm that was just so distracting and IMO ugly.I never told her my feelings as I didnt want to hurt her feelings, but other co workers felt the same and mentioned it to me. It wasnt that the tat itself was ugly. it was a yellow flower with frogs, it was just SOOOO big..lol

Human beings are always judging eachother. People are always telling others how to live their lives, cause they themselves only seem to have all the answers, which couldnt be farther from the truth. Get your Tat! Who cares what I think? You probably wouldnt date me anyways if I was single..lol just an old fuddy duddy.

a friendly Police Officer told me many years ago that they pulled over more red cars than any other color - usually that is the sports car color and a ticket would be given - and he was not the only one on the force to do so.

it stuck with me all these years

Yeah I've heard that too and never in a million years would of thought to get a red car lol But when he showed it to me it was perfect and such a me car. It is called sports red tint so it's not the bright red.

Had I known how to drive a stick shift I would have gotten the gorgeous bright red SS type model of my car that was in front of the dealer. It was so damn pretty and calling my name but man I would be in so much trouble if I had that car.

I am actually a lil more cautious in this car because I know I am a target :) My last car was a black RSX and was the only car I got pulled over for speeding in. No ticket though.

First, it kind of is really stereotypical to equate bikers with tattoos. While this may have been true in years past, it's simply not the case today.

Second, while I somewhat agree with what both Bacdoc and Mikie said, the problem with young people getting inked up today is that there's no real meaning to it. If anyone has ever read or watched documentaries on the history of tattooing throughout the world, there has always been meaning to getting ink. Whether it's Samoans who accept it as a rite of passage or American military personnel that had their wife's or girlfriend's name put on them to remember them by, or the name of their battleship, there's always been importance of a piece of artwork on their body. So many people today get tribal tattoos or Chinese symbols without even giving it a thought about what it means, just that it's "cool." For example, how many people that get a dragon tattoo actually know that originally people got dragons inked on them because it was a symbol for warding off evil that may come upon them?

Tattooing is a drastic measure to take upon one's person. It should be given a lot of thought and have meaning forever. My daughter asked my permission, even though she was 21, and I told her yes. Her father told her before he died that if she sees a penny on the sidewalk to pick it up because it will mean he's watching over her. She got a tattoo of a penny with the birth and death date of her dad. It is meaningful, and that's what tattoos should be.

Among Mr. PFL's full body coverage of ink, he finally got a tattoo with my name on it. Of course, it's a dagger going through a heart, but it has my name on the dagger. I wonder what I'm supposed to make of that. :huh:
I have just one tattoo and its a Dragon on my left bicep.I guess that blows the warding off evil theory...:coffee:

A friend has Pat Patriot on the side of his head. He shaved his head and got the tat.
Then he let his hair grow out, most of the time the tat is unseen.

Opening night he shaves his head and goes to the game, instant tat!!

I don't know much about this but he said it hurt like hell getting it on his head, not much tissue between the bone and skin, not sure if that is always the case or not.

Back