Our Bill

bill-belichick.jpg

INTEGRITY

It teared me up when he talked about how proud he was of the team. He is FURIOUS that this absolute bullshit from harbaugh/irsay/whomever is a tomase flashback from hell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely! This part got me too! The whole thing was moment to moment brilliance, making it hard to pick a favorite moment, but BB standing up for his players...yeah...I think that's it.

As I posted on MyFace (lol) - I thought I was dead inside, but now my heart knows no bounds for BB. wuv

I want to thank Bill Belichick for standing up for himself, everybody else in the organization and also for the millions of fans of this team who really needed somebody with the balls to stand up to Roger and then tell him, in effect, to go fvck himself.

I'm not particularly sensitive and the noise doesn't affect me much, but I know quite a few people who were angry and extremely upset at the way this team has been has been publically abused and left to twist in wind by the league.

One guy stood up for all of us because he knew it was the right thing to do.

I never loved the guy more than I do today.

Thanks to our Bill.

The greatest football coach who ever lived.

Finally got the chance to watch the presser and I must say........AWESOME!

That was an incredible presser and you can see that man is absolutely seething.
If the Pats can only win this SB it would be the most incredible FU to all the haters and the mediots. Count me among those who are truly upset. It's incredible the NFL leaves the Pats hanging here. Goodell is utterly incompetent at best, and a complete asshole.
I've so had it with this BS.
Just have to pray for not just a win but a blowout so we can extend a large middle finger everywhere for perpetuity.

http://nesn.com/2015/01/julian-edelman-unbelievable-when-you-can-help-the-old-coach-get-a-smooch/

FOXBORO, Mass. — The New England Patriots did more than just give Bill Belichick his sixth AFC championship Sunday. They also helped him get a smooch.

Belichick was all smiles after the Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts 45-7 in the AFC Championship Game. Associated Press cameras even caught the Patriots head coach embracing longtime girlfriend Linda Holliday after the game. AFC Championship Football AFC Championship Football Patriots players are more accustomed to seeing Belichick smile than the media, with whom the head coach usually keeps a gruff demeanor. “Coach is coach,” wide receiver Julian Edelman said Monday in the Patriots’ locker room.

“His job is to prepare us to the best of our ability to go out and start preparing for the champs. He’s the same old Bill.” Edelman was asked if he saw Belichick and Holliday kissing after the game. “I didn’t see that, but this is what he does,” Edelman said. “It’s unbelievable when you can help the old coach get a smooch.”

afc_championship_football2.jpg

The Patriots will try to get Belichick his sixth ring on Sunday, Feb. 1, when they take on the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX. Belichick has three Super Bowl titles as Patriots head coach and two as an assistant with the New York Giants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...erence-must-see-tv-patriots-article-1.2091311

The New England Patriots’ gregarious tight end typically has an answer for everything, but not that bizarre Bill Belichick press conference Saturday. When else could Gronk recall his stone-cold coach making a movie reference? He shook his head.
“No,” he told the Daily News with a smile on Sunday. “Never. Yesterday. That’s it.”

Turns out Bill Belichick’s wild DeflateGate defense strategy wasn’t just a surprise for a bored Saturday afternoon viewing audience. It was Must-See TV for the Pats, too. The team that’s embroiled in the increasingly wacky Case of the Mysteriously Deflated AFC Title Game Balls was as shocked as everyone else by its coach, who referenced the film “My Cousin Vinny” during his 23-minute performance that seemed right out of your local high school science fair.

LUPICA: CAN'T CONVICT PATRIOTS YET
<figure class="a-image v">
deflateweb26s-3-web.jpg
Steven Senne/AP Bill Belichick is so dry, even his players can’t tell when he’s joking, or when it’s appropriate to laugh. </figure>
Belichick’s aim was to deflate DeflateGate, to give one final explanation for how 11 of New England’s 12 game balls measured two pounds-per-square-inch (PSI) short of league-mandated air pressure, so that his team could turn its full focus to Super Bowl XLIX in Glendale, Ariz. And while he didn’t do that, he certainly did entertain linebacker Donta Hightower.
“I had to watch that,” Hightower said of his coach’s presser. “I had an alert on my phone to watch that.”

Not that Hightower or any of the Pats was prepared for Belichick to tell the world he wasn’t the Mona Lisa Vito (that’s Marisa Tomei from “My Cousin Vinny”) of football inflation science. Running back Shane Vereen turned to fullback James Develin to help him figure out the last time Belichick even brought up a movie, only for Develin to shake his head.

“I cannot recall one,” Vereen said. “I don’t even know if he watches movies. In four years (with the Pats), I don’t think I’ve ever heard him make a movie reference.
<figure class="a-image h">
patriots-football.jpg
Steven Senne/AP The controversy surrounding the pressure of the balls used by Tom Brady in the AFC title game has dominated the coverage ahead of Sunday’s Super Bowl </figure>
Belichick just doesn’t do these things, players said, even when he’s trying to be nice. Behind closed doors and away from the media, the coach can be “witty, smart, good with it,” Vereen said. But even then, you’ll think he’s serious.

“He’s serious all the time,” said backup running back Brandon Bolden. “He has his moments where he says a joke and he cracks a smile, but nobody knows if it’s a joke or not so nobody knows if they can laugh.”

What I really wanna know is just what did Vince McMahon say that warrants an apology to CM Punk :coffee:

Yeah. Bill is just a walking misery, bad tempered, harsh. Just f**k off media, f**k off New York, F**k you Baltimore, Stick it up your hole Pittsburgh, Kiss my hairy ass Indianapolis, let me lick your salty tears of hate Miami, Blow me Buffalo, Stick Al Davis up your ass Oakland, suck my d**k Denver, Piss off Philly, Eat my s**t St Louis.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...77284/the-best-of-bill-belichick-at-media-day

PHOENIX -- With an enormous backdrop of controversy, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick's Super Bowl media day session was a wide-ranging affair.

And Belichick, in a hoodie and flip-flops, cracked a smile or two along the way.

None bigger, perhaps than when Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo's 4-year-old daughter Chya asked the often-bristly coach "what stuffed animals do you like?"

[+] Enlarge<cite>AP Photo/Gregory Payan</cite>Bill Belichick did not address questions related to deflated footballs but did talk about stuffed animals and his favorite Joe Pesci movies at Super Bowl media day.

Belichick's response; "What stuffed animals do I like? I like a little puppet where you can kind of put your fingers in and it's a little monkey and then he can talk and move his fingers and nod his head and kind of talk back to you."

Overall, Belichick still had the wall up for questions about the NFL's investigation into how 11 footballs were measured as under-inflated at halftime of the Patriots win over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game. He answered each one of those questions, as well as the questions about the effect of the controversy may have on the team with, "We're focused on Seattle."

On his relationship with quarterback Tom Brady, he said: "Tom and I have been together for 15 years, so I would say our relationship covers a lot of ground. We played golf together for three days at Pebble Beach last year."

On the last three movies he had seen; "Last three movies I saw: Unbroken, American Sniper -- those two for sure. I think back to what I saw in the summer, but those two for sure."

On what his favorite movie is starring Joe Pesci: "Home Alone. Definitely Home Alone. No question about that. Home Alone and Home Alone 2 over the Christmas holidays. My Cousin Vinny. Put them all in there."

Advice for young players and coaches "would be enjoying playing because that's a much shorter window. You'll have plenty of time to coach throughout the rest of your life, but you can only play this game for a fairly short period of time and it's a great game to play. So if you have an opportunity to play it, play it, and then when that's over, if you want to coach it, there'll be plenty of time left for that."

On whether he has pregame rituals he said; "No, not really."

Asked who the best quarterback he had seen run the no-huddle offense, he said; "Johnny Unitas."

And asked, again, to give advice to any young coaches, Belichick said, "I'm just trying to coach my team. I'm not trying to run anybody else's life."

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/01/27/bill-belichick-patriots-collects-football-cards

It turns out Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has a little-known secret hobby. John Canzano of The Oregonian shared a story on Tuesday of how he was once selling 1958 Topps football cards on eBay, and realized the winning bidder was Belichick himself.

Belichick explained to Canzano that he collects the cards of coaches he's worked under. From there, the two got to talking over email, about Belichick's start in coaching, collecting, working in the NFL and more.

Things were going great until the day Belichick asked Canzano what he does for a living. When Canzano told him he was a sports columnist, he never heard from the coach again.

The exchange tells you all need to know about Belichick's relationship with the media.
- Molly Geary

This week with the Mona Lisa Vito quote and the story about puppets puts BB into the most Interesting man of the world category...

No coffee guy...

Chris Brown, editior of the website SmartFootball.com has written one of the best & most informative articles on Belichick I've read. This is a teeny-tiny portion

Still, Belichick’s hallmark remains his defense, and the way that unit plays is what opposing coaches most admire. “There’s very few coaches that I steal from, but Bill Belichick is one of them,” Buffalo head coach Rex Ryan has said. “So creative what he does coverage wise, how he looks at things, puts traps out there. The guy is an amazing coach. Best coach in football, it’s not even close. That’s a guy I will study.”
Unlike the many coaches who identify with a particular style or tree, Belichick isn’t locked into a singular ideology. He seems to effortlessly shift between tactics from week to week, and he’s always bristled at attempts to neatly characterize his defenses, once calling the notion that he prefers a 3-4 defense a “media fabrication.” For Belichick, there are no pure defensive systems, only objectives and constraints and a hyperrational evaluation of each: “You decide defensively how you want to defend them in the running game. Do you want to defend them with gap control? Do you want to two-gap? Do you want to try to overload the box with extra guys and play eight against seven or seven against six? Those are all the choices you make. With every decision, there’s going to be an upside, there’s going to be a downside. There will be advantages to playing certain things, there will be disadvantages.” This is the kind of multi-tiered thought process Belichick calls “pretty straightforward.” Right.
Thanks to that mentality, Belichick’s greatness has never stemmed from the Big Idea, unless the Big Idea is the relentless application of many Little Ideas. For example: With the Giants, one of Belichick’s best tactics was something he called BTF, or Blitz the Formation, an idea he gleaned from Buddy Ryan’s famed 46 defense with the Chicago Bears. Instead of calling for specific players to blitz the quarterback, Belichick would make a BTF call, and once the offense showed how it was lining up, his players would check to a specialty blitz designed for when that particular opponent used that particular formation. In recent years, however, Belichick has expanded on this idea by having his players adjust their blitz assignments not only based on the offense’s formation, but by having them trade assignments after the play begins.
http://grantland.com/features/new-e...-coaching-legacy-super-bowl-seattle-seahawks/

http://nesn.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-pete-carroll-trade-wits-in-super-bowl-joint-news-conference/

PHOENIX — The mood Friday was a little lighter than most Bill Belichick news conferences.

The New England Patriots head coach and Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll held a Super Bowl XLIX joint news conference. Carroll made a few jokes about being fired by the Patriots in 2000, which led to Belichick’s hiring. Belichick mentioned that Patriots owner and CEO Robert Kraft gave up a first-round draft pick to acquire the head coach from the Jets in 2000, which led to this exchange: “You got a first-rounder for you?” Carroll asked. “Is that what you said? I was barely a free agent. Maybe that’s why Robert got me out of there after three years.” “I was a free agent after Cleveland,” Belichick replied. “I heard that,” Carroll joked.

Check out some other light moments from the joint presser: (on the plan for Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman’s if his girlfriend goes into labor on Super Bowl Sunday) Carroll: “We’ll see how that goes. Wish him luck. Can’t wait to see little Petey.” [HUH?]

(on how Seattle Head Coach Pete Carroll has changed since his time as New England’s head coach, and the ‘Do Your Job’ philosophy and how it applies to both teams) Carroll: “I got pounded a couple times and got fired a couple times in the league. Everybody likes to have fun with that. My therapist tells me I should always talk about it and that I shouldn’t hide from it. It’s really been fantastic really and a fantastic place to start from.

Belichick: “I echo a lot of Pete’s comments as well. I’ve been fired a couple times myself. I’ve had a couple ups and downs there, but through it all there is always something to be gained and learned from those experiences. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” (on how officials will signal which receivers are eligible and which ones are not, how has the rule been officiated and if the NFL needs to do a better job with clarifying the rule) Belichick: “Well, I’ll start and say that’s not my job.” (on what it signifies when a team is able to reach the Super Bowl in consecutive seasons and who from their immediate family will be at the game on Sunday) Belichick: “My 84-year-old mom won’t be here. She’s in Annapolis. I know she’ll be yelling at the TV set all game. But I do miss that she won’t be here.”

(on one thing they want to establish early in the game) Belichick: “What I’d like to establish is the lead.http://nesn.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-pete-carroll-trade-wits-in-super-bowl-joint-news-conference/

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...elichick_is_the_villain_america_loves_to_hate

bostonheralddotcom.png
Super Bowl Coaches Belichick & Carroll Meet the Press

Boston Herald

18897627.jpg

PHOENIX — When you walk into Bill Belichick’s world and become part of his team, the running joke is you’ve joined the dark side.
Outside of New England, that’s the image that’s been created. There’s no gray area when it comes to Belichick. It’s black and white, or in this case, black.

Darth Vader in a hoodie. That’s who he is.
Right now, there may be no bigger villain across the NFL. Judging by all the editorials, spoofs and talk shows devoted in his honor, it seems the Patriots coach is hated, reviled and resented — and those are some of the compliments.

Belichick has been front page news during the two-week leadup to the Super Bowl, and we’re not just talking about in places that cover the Patriots. Just the mere possibility of Belichick and his team committing a rules violation has warranted major networks to lead off their newscasts with him, while the Deflategate saga has dominated newspaper coverage coast to coast.

“Hate is not a strong word. I live in Denver, and Belichick and the Patriots do not get the benefit of the doubt with any of this,” said one-time Patriots linebacker Chad Brown, who has been on the radio row circuit. “They’re just hated. They’re just automatically guilty no matter what.”
In many ways, Belichick has become the perfect bad guy.
He’s won more than anyone else in modern sports, does it on his own terms, and somehow manages to persevere through all the vitriol thrown his way, whether the bombs are being thrown due to Spygate, or the latest ball controversy.

“He doesn’t care whether you like him or not. His job is to win football games. It’s not to win press conferences,” said Brown. “We’ve seen a lot of coaches win press conferences, but they suck as a coach. The first thing about being a good coach is winning the football games. And that’s what he does.”

He’s the smartest guy in the room, and lets you know it. That throws arrogance into the equation. When you’ve won three Super Bowls as a head coach, two as a defensive coordinator, and are fourth on the NFL’s all-time list for career wins (232), it’s tough to argue with the man.
“People love to hate him, because he’s just better than everybody else,” said former Patriots running back Heath Evans, now an NFL Network analyst. “People are like that, because people like the idea of things being equal. And they’re just not.

“But, also, with Bill, he eggs it on, as well. With his smirk, he just makes it real easy for people (to hate him).”
Hall of Famer Warren Sapp was stopped and asked during media day Tuesday if he was a member of the Belichick fan club.
“No, I don’t think so,” Sapp answered. “Is there a membership fee? A card you get? No, that one’s not for me.”

We got the drift. Sapp is not a fan, and won’t pretend to be one. He’s not alone.
The latest scandal has triggered more speculation from former Rams Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner they might have been cheated out of a Super Bowl. That was the first of three the Patriots won, and at the time Belichick was credited with doing a masterful job shutting down the Greatest Show on Turf. It was his game plan, having his defense attack Faulk, that drew the most attention.

Now, the only thing that seems to come up is the specter of cheating thanks to his illegally videotaping the Jets coaches on the sidelines during the 2007 season.
“For a lot of people, he’s a hard person to like. You don’t get Rex Ryan up there. You don’t get a coach up there that’s going to give you what you want all the time,” said former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, during an ESPN conference call. “I think he knows the way he wants his players to conduct themselves in the locker room. And he can’t expect that, unless he’s that way in front of you.

“So, I think there’s a lot of people who have skewed opinions of him, based on the past, based on the way he’s handled certain things publicly. So, maybe that affects their judgment,” Bruschi went on. “This is a guy that all he does is want to win football games. And is a great coach to all of his players. His players love him. If people have a problem with him, I think that’s their problem, not his.”

NFL Network analyst Solomon Wilcots referred to Belichick and the Patriots as the “800-pound gorilla everyone wants to vanquish.”
Another interesting image to ponder, but it’s born out of the Patriots winning so much. Wilcots said people are simply envious and jealous. And the boorish Belichick is an easy mark.

“When you win, and win consistently over a long period of time, whether you’re the Boston Celtics in the ’60s, the Cowboys of the ’70s, any dynasty, people are going to eventually come to hate you,” Wilcots said. “And then when you don’t court the media, it doubles down in their anxiety toward you.”
Added Brown: “And then when you have these incidences, it only confirms, in people’s minds, that Belichick’s a bad dude.”

Does the bad dude push the envelope? Does Belichick go too far trying to win games?
“He should. That’s what a coach is supposed to do,” Brown said. “If you’re comfortable as a coach, I don’t think you’re doing the right thing. You’re talking about four offensive linemen? That was genius. Whether he got it from (Nick) Saban or not, they put it into the game plan and they made it happen. That’s pushing the envelope. It was great.”

Illegally tampering with footballs isn’t so great. Belichick has professed the team’s innocence, conducting his own internal investigation. During the one time he opened up and showed a human side, coming to the defense of the team and Tom Brady in particular with his now infamous science lecture, Belichick was still ridiculed and lampooned. He was even shot down by Bill Nye the Science Guy.

“I don’t see him (as a villain), and I lost the Tuck Rule game,” said former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon, who has a show on Sirius NFL FM Radio. “I have great respect for what this guy has done for that organization. I think the hardest thing in our business is the ability to handle success, and they’ve done it almost flawlessly.”

Except, the coach has a legion of detractors that rivals any sports villain in history. Even if the Patriots are vindicated, it won’t matter. Belichick will still be a figure the rest of the country wants to hate.

“Let’s face it, if you give (the haters) anything, it’s a reason for a rallying cry,” said Wilcots. “And, it’s almost like people come out of the woodwork when those moments arise. Then you find out who really has it out for you. When it comes to Belichick, people are always ready for the 800-pound gorilla to be slain.”

wuv Bill Beli-Kong

Chris Long of the Rams wrote a great article this week defending BB and the Pats ( sorry lost the link) but he had a great line: "The Patriots are good at two things, winning football games and not giving a shit what anyone else thinks'.

Back