Patriots Draft Preview: Running Backs (Jerry Thornton)

cadmonkey

I have nothing useful to say....
Reaction score
I love this time of year. Jerry always kills it with his draft previews. I posted this in the "Jerry Appreciation Thread" as well. But I feel these can easily get their own threads to get some discussion going.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/patriots-draft-preview-running-backs-2/

Patriots Draft Preview: Running Backs

It’s that time of year again. The counters of beans and the chasers of ambulances might have nuked the entire rest of the NFL offseason, but the NFL Draft is still standing amidst the rubble. And this is good news around here because the Patriots are basically controlling the entire operation. They hold 3 of the first 33, 6 of the first 92, plus 3 in the final 3 rounds. So any team looking to move up or down the board is going to have to pay tribute to Bill Belichick like he’s Paulie in “Goodfellas.” And with the Pats coming off a 14 win year that saw major contributions from a boatload of 1st- and 2nd year players, another draft like the last couple could load them up for the rest of the Brady Epoch and beyond.

Between now and the Draft, I’m going to preview a different position a couple of times a week and predict whom they’re going to take. And I’ll stack my record of making these calls against anybody’s. Last year I was right about them taking Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez. The year before I called Pat Chung and Darius Butler. So don’t bother quoting the national Draft experts to me. Last year Mel Kiper had them taking confirmed head case Dez Bryant in the 1st. I’m no Draft Guru. I don’t pretend to do 6-round mocks and I can’t speak extemporaneously about some 5th round safety out of Temple. But I can peer into Belichick’s dreamy eyes and see a window into his soul. Think of me as Horatio Sanz in “Step Brothers.” I don’t do Billy Joel. I do Billy Joel 80s doo wop. Anyway, going in no particular order, I’m going to start off with running backs.

Patriots current roster/ needs: This might be their hardest position to gauge in terms of need. Last year they put together a respectable running attack out of a guy that almost didn’t make the roster, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and made a folk hero out of Danny Woodhead, who got cut by the Jets in training camp. Kevin Faulk could come back from being IR’ed, but the rest of the unit, if they’re brought back, will be carrying the ball in one hand and a cane with tennis balls on the bottom in the other. So they could use some young talent here, but they’re such a pass-first offense, and they’ve been plenty successful enough with castoffs and spare parts, it’s likely they’ll pick someone up in the mid rounds, but it’s hard to see RB as a huge priority.

2011 positional overview: They couldn’t have picked a better year to be looking for a second-tier type running back because this year’s crop really doesn’t have anyone that’s projected as a blue-chip, can’t-miss, feature back. In fact, ever since consensus No. 1 Mark Ingram’s disappointing Pro Day, there’s been a school of thought that this could actually be the first draft ever that doesn’t have a RB selected in the 1st round. But the next level… complimentary backs who could play a role or be half of a 1-2 punch… runs deep.

The consensus best back there’s no consensus on: Ingram, Alabama. 5-9, 215, 4.62.

alg_mark-ingram.jpg

Months ago, Ingram was in the Top 10 of the early mocks. And there are still a lot of pundits who don’t see him making it past Miami at 15. But I’ve also seen him ranked as low as the No. 4-rated back and since that Bama Pro Day didn’t have anyone pinching their nipples with excitement, Round 2 is a distinct possibility. The knock on Ingram is he’s the guy who might get you 5 yards, but he’s not going to break tackles and make people chase him down from behind. He’s an acorn off of the Saban branch of the Belichick coaching tree so the Pats might like him, but I just don’t see him being rated high enough to take him high or dropping low enough for them to feel the value is there. Fun Fact: Mark Ingram, Sr was a WR for the NY Giants who’s now doing time for money laundering, which means that now 25% of America’s prison population are former Giants.

Backs who might go ahead of Ingram: Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech. 5-10 202 4.59 and Mikel LeShoure, Illinois. 6-0 230 4.56

Ingram is still the top back on most mocks, but either or both of these guys could jump ahead of him. They’ve got a lot of similarities, but the Sparknotes version of their scouting reports is: Williams is the better inside runner who’ll take on a tackler with a first contact hit, whereas LeShoure is more the slashing, one-cut downhill type runner who’ll fit a team with a zone running scheme. They have the potential to be feature backs, assuming the species isn’t already extinct (only 7 guys in the league had 300+ carries last year). But they’d be a risk anywhere before the middle of the 2nd.

Remember that “Mad Men” when they did the bra ad that said all women are either Jackies or Marilyns? Well if you want to badly stereotype running backs into small, elusive backs and big, power backs you could say they’re all either a Barry Sanders or a Jerome Bettis. And if you did, here’s how you would lump the 3rd-5th rounders in this one:

The Barrys:

Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma. 5-7, 199, 4.48

Jacquizz Rogers, Oregon St. 5-6, 192, 4.59

Noel Devine, West Virginia. 5-8, 179, 4.34

All have virtually identical reports. Good in space, quick moves, can play part time and special teams but questions about their durability. With Woodhead already around and Kevin Faulk coming back through the Grace of God, it’s unlikely the Pats are looking for another Lilliputian.

The Jeromes:

Daniel Thomas, Kansas St. 6-0, 230, 4.63

He’s supposedly great at breaking tackles. I’m sure it’s true but what little video I’ve seen of him he was never in traffic. Just play after play of him going into the end zone untouched. There are also questions about how upright he runs which could reduce him to a chalk outline in the pros.

Allen Bradford, USC. 5-11, 235, 4.56.

You’d have to think a RB recruited to USC would be one of the best athletes in the country. But he wasn’t productive and struggled to keep the starters job.

Jamie Harper, Clemson. 5-11, 235, 4.54.

The general take on him is that for a big man, he makes people miss more than he takes on tacklers and he projects, like so many of these guys do, as someone who’ll be fine as part of a RB tandem, but not as an every down guy. Think Michael Bush.

A sleeper pick for the Pats who was really productive in a crap offense: Jordan Todman, UConn. 5-9, 203, 4.40.

jordan-todman1.jpg

This is an intriguing possibility for the Pats because his ex-coach Randy Edsall is a Belichick. The Pats have held an official pre-draft visit with Todman, as they did before they picked Darius Butler. He’s also got the leadership intangible the Pats look for, as evidenced by the fact that when Edsall screwed out of Storrs, he left it to Todman to explain it to the rest of the team. Working with 27 different (gawdawful) QB’s, in an offense they pulled out of Amos Alonzo Stagg’s waste basket, Todman still managed to carry the Huskies to the Fiesta Bowl.

Perfect Patriot: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma. 6-0, 213, 4.37.

There’s not one RB in the Draft you can look at and be certain he’ll be a productive, 18 carry per game guy. But Murray is the best pass-catcher in the group so it’s not hard to imagine the Pats sending him in motion, lining him up in in the slot or splitting him out in the Z spot the way they do with every RB from Woodhead to Faulk to even BJGE. The Swiss Army offense they’re running puts a premium on versatility, and Murray has the most varied skill set in the Draft.

The Patriots will take: Murray.

His stock dropped a little after he was a non-factor in the Senior Bowl, so there’s a chance he could fall to them at 60 or even 74. Anyway, he’s an ideal fit.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J6nOCef3Hic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Murray is as fast as he is elusive...thanks for that exciting video

While RB isn't an immediate necessity, imo, Murray in the 2nd would be a great choice provided BB trades down to gain extra picks there. I can see trading 28 and 159 to SD for 50 and 61 (688 to 692 pts). I think there will be a lot of good value picks in the 2nd round.

Thanks, Jerry
and thanks to Cadmonkey for posting it here.

I'm probably the biggest Sooner fan here, and while I would LOVE to see more of my college boys play for my pro team, there is just something about Murray that unnerves me a little. He's got talent, lots if it, but he does seem to disappear sometimes, especially in big games.

It could have been the "run it up the middle" (way too much) play-calling, whereas I'd rather see Murray in space, but I don't know. If they pass on him I won't be upset. :shrug:

I felt better with Madu in the games last year. Couldn't get enough of, "Oh Madu, you've done it again". :thumb:

Some good running backs in here; well done. I like this year's class. :) My only quibble is saying that Bradford was unproductive. He really played well when he got carries the past two years, putting up 5.8 and 7.2 ypc averages and roughly 700 and 800 yard seasons in a committee. He only got the ball about 110 times each of the last two years, but he improved remarkably this year in running between the tackles and following his blockers. He runs people over, is an absolute load to bring down at 240 pounds, and has decent hands despite only 14 career receptions. He's one of my favorite late round guys, because it seems to me like he's finally maturing as a person and a player, and the best is yet to come.

Mid to late round options I really like include Damien Berry, Bilal Powell, Delone Carter, Mario Fannin, Shane Vareen, Johnny White, Da'rel Scott, and Roy Helu Jr.

Damien Berry 5'11 214 4.44

A converted safety, Berry plays as physically as I've seen at the position in the past few years. Has a devastating jump cut. He just never gives up. Runs, catches, blocks, plays special teams--he's a hard working, team player whom I would love to have on this team. He's the kind of player who is still running for his life after being knocked out of bounds--it's not that he's unaware of where he is on the field, but he plays with so much fire that I know he's still thinking about that first down, that touchdown, that victory for the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8XB0JUl5xc

Also, he swordfights! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJjeUUJAW8c&feature=related

Bilal Powell 5'11 207 4.47

A high character player with a rough background and a touching redemption story, Powell runs as though every carry is his last. He's sudden, instinctive, and surprisingly powerful for his build. On some plays, he looks like a mini Adrian Peterson the way he throws off tacklers, breaks down aggressively in space, and then rockets down the sideline as though his life depends on it. He's an acceptable pass catcher, although he needs to refine his skills, and he is at least a willing blocker. Will need better technique at the next level, but a player I feel offers an excellent counterpoint to Woody & the Law Firm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2bhPYVLS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKERqz7G3UU

Delone Carter 5'9 222 4.49

Compact, powerful runner with good balance and a developing sense of how to use his momentum as a weapon. A real no nonsense type of runner. Can pass protect and catch the football. My only concern is that he often simply leans into contact instead of exploding into tacklers; he's already hard to bring down, but when he lowers his shoulder with authority, he almost always knocks the defender over. To his credit, he keeps his legs churning, and fights hard for his team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0BGhIF4LI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yib0EHiGnjs

Mario Fannin 5'10 231 4.37

Tantalizing from a size/speed perspective, Fannin will nonetheless go later than his measureables indicate due to losing carries each year to incoming freshmen and occasionally putting the ball on the ground. While he's not the most instinctive of inside runners, he is more than adequate in a rotation. His real value, however, is as a pass blocker and pass catcher; he is the best back in blitz pickup I have watched in a few years, and he has good enough hands and route running ability that Auburn lined him up wide at times and he beat cornerbacks for the ball. Often lined up as an H-back. Has almost 100 career catches and nine receiving touchdowns for his career, and is absolutely explosive in open space, capable of running by, around, or through most defenders. I love his upside, especially if he can hang onto the ball and develop more discipline running inside. Do yourself a favor and watch a good chunk of his highlights--they're a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFRz7xxxQI8

Shane Vareen 5'10 210 4.45

Another guy who's a lot of fun to watch, Vareen is a tough, elusive runner who is more of a slasher than a burner, but has experience in a pro offense and really works hard at his craft. Is far stronger than he looks and can be particularly difficult to bring down. Has a will to win. Can run, catch, block, and is productive in the return game as well. Gritty and well rounded, would make an excellent Patriot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNKfztfmFWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ys2A9Mm2hQ

Johnny White 5'10 210 4.51

Forget the average workout numbers numbers; White is dynamite. He's played defense, offense, and led the team in special team tackles. Read the excellent write-up in the YouTube video description to know more. Can't recommend this guy enough. He's be awesome for us. (I suggest skipping the first 50 seconds of the clip, as it has some technical difficulties; thereafter, White is pretty impressive.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6uR2827H8o

Da'rel Scott 5'11 211 4.34

Probably the fastest back in this year's class, Scott is a bit more linear than I prefer at the position, but still has a nice blend of size, speed, and slipperiness. Yes, he can make people miss, but I think he needs more space to operate than some of the other back on this list. Still, he catches the ball well, and is deadly on draws and screens. Good overall player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleY7FV8Lhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Kov1DRcd4

Roy Helu Jr. 6'0 220 4.41

Another high character guy, Helu will give everything he has to a team. He's dependable, hard-working, and will do his job. Has excellent size and speed, and can run with authority. Is not good at evading tacklers in the backfield, but once he hits the line of scrimmage, he's a bear to bring down. A poor man's Ingram in style of play, with more speed and big-play potential, but less elusiveness. Like this guy a lot; I feel that he has a lot to offer in the locker room that transcends his purely football talents, and I would love to see him on the Patriots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rktknHAVaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtnRmGtxhyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wseQ5vzb4B8

Thanks for that great post reamer with the collection of videos.

I like Fannin for his size, speed and hands but I like White for all those reasons + White just doesn't like to go down. The knock on Fannin was that while he is a great talent, he would go down pretty easily, thus he split time. The kid from Auburn I'm hoping for in 2013 is Michael Dyer.

While watching Fannin it was also fun to watch LT Lee Ziemba and C Ryan Pugh.

This was the first video of White I've seen. Tough kid with great balance. I'm impressed.

Perfect Patriot: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma. 6-0, 213, 4.37.

There’s not one RB in the Draft you can look at and be certain he’ll be a productive, 18 carry per game guy. But Murray is the best pass-catcher in the group so it’s not hard to imagine the Pats sending him in motion, lining him up in in the slot or splitting him out in the Z spot the way they do with every RB from Woodhead to Faulk to even BJGE. The Swiss Army offense they’re running puts a premium on versatility, and Murray has the most varied skill set in the Draft.

The Patriots will take: Murray.

His stock dropped a little after he was a non-factor in the Senior Bowl, so there’s a chance he could fall to them at 60 or even 74. Anyway, he’s an ideal fit.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J6nOCef3Hic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now Murray is the back I have been saying would be perfect for the pats offense. He is the speed Back the pats need. We can get him in the second round so we don't have to waste a first rounder on a RB.

Watching that Murray highlight vid made me think of a similar one done of Laurence Maroney at Minnesota where you would swear he would be a pro star. Lots of big holes in that clip.

Still, Murray seems to be a decisive one-cut back that really explodes through and seems to find those holes and is a complete, experienced back. One of the better recieving backs in this draft and he is a willing and able pass blocker despite his height and relatively slim frame. I like him about as well as anyone and think he could be an asset in our rotation. I think he is a really good fit for our system and has KR potential as well.

Late 2nd/early 3rd kind of guy.

Watching that Murray highlight vid made me think of a similar one done of Laurence Maroney at Minnesota where you would swear he would be a pro star. Lots of big holes in that clip.

Still, Murray seems to be a decisive one-cut back that really explodes through and seems to find those holes and is a complete, experienced back. One of the better recieving backs in this draft and he is a willing and able pass blocker despite his height and relatively slim frame. I like him about as well as anyone and think he could be an asset in our rotation. I think he is a really good fit for our system and has KR potential as well.

Late 2nd/early 3rd kind of guy.

I like Murray or LeShoure, fwiw. I have a hard time thinking Ingram is worthy of a 1st round pick.

Back