Patriots Free Agency 2023

More than slightly. You dont win mvp from slightly-above average play.

For 10 games a season, jackson is leaps and bounds better than jones both with his arms and legs.

That's just undeniable fact. My hang up would be the 10 games a season part. It's not my money.

There is no way to measure this yet. Well, legs of course. The other two important attributes are TBA. They are arm and head. LJ could not run the Patriots offense that Brady ran. I think Jones can.

LJ averaging about 210 yards passing and 64 yards rushing per game and a combined 5 rushing TD's the last two seasons. Yes, he was only available for 24 games over those two years but I think he is on the decline clearly.

There is no way to measure this yet. Well, legs of course. The other two important attributes are TBA. They are arm and head. LJ could not run the Patriots offense that Brady ran. I think Jones can.

LJ averaging about 210 yards passing and 64 yards rushing per game and a combined 5 rushing TD's the last two seasons. Yes, he was only available for 24 games over those two years but I think he is on the decline clearly.
That's vastly superior to mac jones production.

That's vastly superior to mac jones production.

You KNOW you need to toss out last year for Jones. His rookie year? The only legit year you can measure (even if only his rookie year) Jones threw for over 3800 yards. In an era of frequent near or over 5k years by QB's you simply can't say LJ is an above average thrower. I mean you could but it wouldn't be taken very seriously by most.

Even if Lamar remained healthy, I don't think he's worth giving up 2 first round picks for AND signing him to the fully guaranteed deal that he is looking for.

This team is not simply a QB away from competing for a title at the moment, and doing the above is completely counter to how BB has run the team in the past 20+ years.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Even if Lamar remained healthy, I don't think he's worth giving up 2 first round picks for AND signing him to the fully guaranteed deal that he is looking for.

This team is not simply a QB away from competing for a title at the moment, and doing the above is completely counter to how BB has run the team in the past 20+ years.

Thanks, but no thanks.
100%

Also for the record, if I'm coming off pro-Jackson signing, I'm not. I thought I was pretty clear, but sarcasm can get lost on the internet. :coffee:

Last edited:

This is a very team friendly contract, especially considering Mills has gotten injured every year down the stretch.

FO grades every team's FA work.

New England Patriots

Improved Roster: C+
Used Resources Well: B
Coherent Plan: B-
Overall Grade: B-

The Patriots entered the offseason with needs at wide receiver, tackle, and cornerback. After making signings at all three positions, the Patriots' biggest needs after the first wave of free agency are … still wide receiver, tackle, and cornerback.

That being said, New England has improved their offensive weapons. Despite Mike Gesicki's decreased role in 2022, he still posted higher receiving DYAR and DVOA than Jonnu Smith while also out-gaining Smith in receiving yards and catching five touchdowns to Smith's zero. JuJu Smith-Schuster actually placed one spot above Jakobi Meyers in both receiving DVOA and DYAR and is a much more effective scorer, with 29 career receiving touchdowns in six seasons to Meyers' eight in four . Both contracts represent massive value for New England as well. Gesicki's total contract value of $4.5 million is less than one-third of Smith's $15 million, according to OverTheCap. While Smith-Schuster and Meyers both signed deals for $11 million per year, Smith-Schuster has less guaranteed money with a lower cap hit in 2023. Neither is the No. 1 receiving option New England needs, however, improving their floor but not really changing their offensive outlook.

One of the biggest losses from New England's offseason comes in the retirement of safety Devin McCourty, but the remaining safety group of Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, and Jalen Mills (transitioning from cornerback) can provide a wide range of coverages and better disguise their assignments pre-snap. Despite re-signing cornerback Jonathan Jones after a breakout season, the Patriots still need a top-end cornerback to add to this secondary.

If one thing is certain, Bill Belichick will never finish last in special teams DVOA again. The Patriots retained special teams ace Matthew Slater and added Cody Davis while cutting punter Jake Bailey. In addition, New England signed former Lions linebacker Chris Board, whom Belichick described last season as "the best special teams player we'll play against all year."

FO grades every team's FA work.

New England Patriots

Improved Roster: C+
Used Resources Well: B
Coherent Plan: B-
Overall Grade: B-

The Patriots entered the offseason with needs at wide receiver, tackle, and cornerback. After making signings at all three positions, the Patriots' biggest needs after the first wave of free agency are … still wide receiver, tackle, and cornerback.

That being said, New England has improved their offensive weapons. Despite Mike Gesicki's decreased role in 2022, he still posted higher receiving DYAR and DVOA than Jonnu Smith while also out-gaining Smith in receiving yards and catching five touchdowns to Smith's zero. JuJu Smith-Schuster actually placed one spot above Jakobi Meyers in both receiving DVOA and DYAR and is a much more effective scorer, with 29 career receiving touchdowns in six seasons to Meyers' eight in four . Both contracts represent massive value for New England as well. Gesicki's total contract value of $4.5 million is less than one-third of Smith's $15 million, according to OverTheCap. While Smith-Schuster and Meyers both signed deals for $11 million per year, Smith-Schuster has less guaranteed money with a lower cap hit in 2023. Neither is the No. 1 receiving option New England needs, however, improving their floor but not really changing their offensive outlook.

One of the biggest losses from New England's offseason comes in the retirement of safety Devin McCourty, but the remaining safety group of Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, and Jalen Mills (transitioning from cornerback) can provide a wide range of coverages and better disguise their assignments pre-snap. Despite re-signing cornerback Jonathan Jones after a breakout season, the Patriots still need a top-end cornerback to add to this secondary.

If one thing is certain, Bill Belichick will never finish last in special teams DVOA again. The Patriots retained special teams ace Matthew Slater and added Cody Davis while cutting punter Jake Bailey. In addition, New England signed former Lions linebacker Chris Board, whom Belichick described last season as "the best special teams player we'll play against all year."
Grades on the offseason at this point is as useless as grading the draft after the first round (which they do now)

Back