Patriots re-sign QB Hoyer

SkiptoMyLou

Thank you, coach!
Reaction score

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Gonna carry 4 again? Gee, when was the last time we did this?
No way. Yet, maybe way.

I don't understand this move but had a couple of quick thoughts:

1. They did it because Hoyer wants to retire as a Patriot and he will serve as a mentor to Mac Jones until that happens. I'm not sure
if Cam understands all the nuances of the offense well enough to make it a copacetic QB room for youngsters.

2. There is something really not as it appears with Stidham and they've decided to pull the plug. Could it be that he is a bit of a dick or
doesn't show sufficient dedication? Maybe that is why he was a strictly garbage-time QB last season. Or maybe I'm imagining things.

I can't believe that Bill ever wants Hoyer to do anything on the field side of the sideline. He is utterly helpless as an actual QB, but he can
hold a clipboard like a boss. I don't want him taking preseason snaps away from any of the other three.

Strange move. Yes, indeedy. I'll have to wait to see what the smart folks say about it.

No way. Yet, maybe way.

1. They did it because Hoyer wants to retire as a Patriot and he will serve as a mentor to Mac Jones until that happens.
I never thought of this. It makes sense. Give him a signing bonus with enough $$$ for him to feel compensated through the end of August. He mentors Jones and then retires before cutdown day.

No way. Yet, maybe way.

1. They did it because Hoyer wants to retire as a Patriot and he will serve as a mentor to Mac Jones until that happens. I'm not sure
if Cam understands all the nuances of the offense well enough to make it a copacetic QB room for youngsters.

2. There is something really not as it appears with Stidham and they've decided to pull the plug. Could it be that he is a bit of a dick or
doesn't show sufficient dedication? Maybe that is why he was a strictly garbage-time QB last season. Or maybe I'm imagining things.

I can't believe that Bill ever wants Hoyer to do anything on the field side of the sideline. He is utterly helpless as an actual QB, but he can
hold a clipboard like a boss. I don't want him taking preseason snaps away from any of the other three.

Strange move. Yes, indeedy. I'll have to wait to see what the smart folks say about it.
This, plus maybe Bill is having the same problems that I'm having at arriving at a 53 man roster and will go with 2 QBs after seeing that Mac is the real deal. Hoyer can help coach up Mac until the cut downs, then cut Stid and Hoyer, and go with Mac and Cam. Hoyer would be a decent break the glass shadow roster guy or more likely with the new rules, practice squad as he knows the system and has a high utility value to the Pats and there's little risk that he'd be signed by another team.

Last edited:
Gonna carry 4 again? Gee, when was the last time we did this?
Was thinking just the other day, that they absolutely need a minimum of 3 QBs, Cam, Mac + another guy. Because of the dynamics of Cam's personality, who knows what he would do if told to sit so the rookie can play.
Cam seems like a decent guy but at the same time a bit over the top.
Also heard that Cam's personality impacted Stidham in a negative way. How does a guy compete with Mr Nickname?

Who is the Pats' newest QB coach?

No way. Yet, maybe way.

Simple moments. Yet you think them out so clearly and thoroughly. Love your mind.

Cheers

I am struggling with this signing as well. I think the timing here is interesting. We have had a few days of rookie mini-camp - how is Jones looking? Does he look like a project in the making or is he blowing the coaches away? Something happened this week that made Bill want to get a 4th QB. Is it to mentor Jones because he needs help? Is it Stidham who does not look good and may be getting cut? Is Cam on the hot seat? He has been really quiet especially compared to last year.

Back