Patriots Run Game

AllWorldTE

Reaction score
The run game was impressive against the Titans so I took a look at what they were doing.

From 2007 to last year, the Patriots have featured three core run plays consisting of Inside Zone, Outside Zone and One Back-Powers. They choose these three concepts because each can be run with a single back from any formation. Each is also adaptable to two back looks.

The Pats have also carried various scheme plays they use by game plan (Whams, Iso, Traps, G Powers etc.) Draw is a complement of their pass game. Last year, Bill O'Brien installed and made heavy use of a Toss play that had been a common call years before. He used it so much it was his fourth most called run concept last year.

Looking at the Titans game shows that Josh and BOB are of singular mind, at least to this point. Josh made use of four different run concepts in this game. The Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Single Back-Power & the Toss. No other concepts were used in this game other than Brady's sneak and kneel down.

The least successful concept was the Inside Zone. Last year the OL had difficulty gaining vertical push on their combos which is a critical aspect of the concept. They had the same problem Sunday. Josh called the Inside Zone five times. Ridley gained +1, +2, +1 and +2. Woodhead gained +1 on his only IZ. These plays were not well executed. I took some screen shots of the plays which I'll post. I'll talk about the concept a bit so that anyone with access to the game films will be able to recognize the concept in future games.

The IZ is a play were the interior OL uses vertical combination blocks to drive down defensive linemen off the ball with the idea of one of the OL taking over the DL which enables the other OL to come off to the linebacker which makes it a combo rather than a simple double team. Vertical push and timing are critical. The OLinemen working the combo want to drive the DL to the level of the assigned backer before coming off as this sets up the second level block. If the combo gets no vertical push, the play is in trouble. Other blockers find themselves in single man to man blocking situations where they are trying to keep cut-back and front-side running lanes open.

The RB takes a side step an gets downhill (or winds back) at the front-side guard (the landmarks vary). He reads the front-side combo which tells him to hit the LOS outside the combo or cut back.

The first IZ the Pats ran was their second play from scrimmage on a 2nd & 1 at 8:02 of the 1st quarter at the -34 YDL. Ridley gained one yard.

If you look at the first pic, the yellow lines set the combo blocks from the DL to the LB. It's clear in the second pic that Gronk and Wendell are already in trouble. Gronk has to prevent his man from getting inside him. He's beat on the snap. Wendell has to come off to the backer who is mirroring Ridley. With so little movement on the combo, Wendell is screwed before Ridley even has the ball, as is Ridley. The third pic shows Gronk's man in the front-side hole forcing Ridley to cut back. It also shows Wendell's LB scraping over the top to fill the hole from the back-side. Gronk tries to drive his man past the hole which doesn't help because Wendell's man has filled it. Lack of movement on the back-side Wendell/Connolly dooms this cut back as Ridley is so constricted it allows Gronk's man to make the tackle after Ridley cuts back.

The next IZ the Pats ran took place on their 5th play at 7:13 of the First. Ridley gained 2 yards on the carry. The unusual alignment the Pats show here on 2nd & 10 spread out the defensive front. The combos are not clearly set here with the backers off set. Connolly/Vollmer fail to get significant movement on the down linemen and Hernandez fails to overtake the DL the three TEs are blocking. When Gronk is forced to come off on the front-side backer, the DL is free to make the tackle. There was a small chance for a few yards on a back-side cut but Ridley didn't take it.

Ridley loses a yard on the next IZ at 2:45 of the first on a first & 10 call. The combos here are clearly defined. Mankins/Wendell have to get vertical push on the 2I Tech towards the LB. If the LB comes under, Wendell owns him. If he comes over, he belongs to Mankins. Connolly/Vollmer have the same task against the wide 3 Tech. The play is dead right off the bat. Mankins and Wendell get no movement at all. The DL splits their combo leaving neither in position to block the backer. Connolly/Vollmer didn't get any push either which doomed Connolly's attempt to block the backer. This play had no chance once the two DL being comboed defeated the blocks at the LOS.

I'd like to also add, Ridley was in beast mode for this game. He slipped through some holes that were very slim and that's on him. Now if he can hold on to the ball all season is another story but he did look GREAT on Sunday. Nice slides btw...

Josh took another shot calling a Woodhead IZ on 2nd & 5 at 3:29 of the 2nd Quarter. This was the Pats' 25th offensive play. Once again, the combinations are clearly defined. Unfortunately for the Pats, the Titans interior DL does a great job. You can see both comboes failed right off the bat with the DL splitting both comboes leaving the LB free to make the play. Additionally, the back-side 1 Shade redirects down the line after the split to drive on the ball.

Josh gave it one more shot on their 61st play at 4:33 of the fourth on second & goal. Ridley managed to gain 2 yards here. The Titans play this extremely well. Not only do the Pats get no vertical push on their comboes but Welk, Gronk, Solder & Mankins all fail to seal their defenders removing any cut back opportunity. You can clearly see that Wendell has not gained leverage on the DL when Thomas came off to the backer which is an issue. Wendell tries to run the defender out to give Ridley a cut-back but Mankins and Solder also failing to gain leverage dooms the inside cut. Cannon gets squeezed as well giving Ridley no positive options beyond fighting for a couple of yards which is what he did. Ridley may have had a shot to wind this all the way back (like Vereen did to the Chiefs last year) if he had stayed square and skated to the back-side but once he cut to his right, it was too late for a long wind back.

The Pats clearly have a long way to go if their Inside Zone package is going to become a consistent concept for them.

They had much more success with their others concepts. They ran fifteen Outside Zones gaining +17, +0, +15, +8, -4, +15, +5, +1(TD), +3, +6, +2, +16, +1, +0 & -2. A feast or famine situation but serious production regardless of inconsistency.

Toss was similarly inconsistent seeing gains of +17, -1, +6, +5, +6, -1, & +4. Toss is a scheme play designed to hurt certain coverages. I'd like to see more consistency from the play.

They also ran six single back powers for gains of +8, +14, +2, +9, +2 & +2. This play has been a signature concept for the Pats for a long time now and looks to be again.

If I get a chance, I'll post some screen shots of each tomorrow so the concepts will be more recognizable to people who are unsure of how they are executed.

I'd like to also add, Ridley was in beast mode for this game. He slipped through some holes that were very slim and that's on him. Now if he can hold on to the ball all season is another story but he did look GREAT on Sunday. Nice slides btw...

He had a very good game. He's going to be fun to watch.

Great stuff ATWE. I've never played the game, only a little flag football in college, so I'm always eager to learn more about the game. Thanks! :thumb:

I can't recognize the defensive tackles for Tennessee. Do you know their names or numbers?

I suppose that part of Ridley's maturation process will be learning to recognize quickly, as he takes the handoff, that his combo blocks are failing and then taking an alternate route.

Also, props to the Titans' DL for some solid play. I'm sure the ARZ DC will be taking note while watching film this week.

Wonderful pics and insight, AWTE! +2 but the new rep system won't let me rep you right now.

Wouldn't you think 2 TEs + Connolly would be able to take on 1 man? That was very poor execution on those IZ plays you showed. Our guy never got to the 2nd level. Fail. Especially AHern who lost all contact.

The Cards have a better DL than the Titans so I'll be following the execution of these plays carefully. Darnell Dockett has been a wrecking crew for Ariz. lately.

Great stuff ATWE. I've never played the game, only a little flag football in college, so I'm always eager to learn more about the game. Thanks! :thumb:

I can't recognize the defensive tackles for Tennessee. Do you know their names or numbers?

A tremendous series of posts/pics by AWTE, who put a lot of work into that very nice piece of enlightenment and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the descriptions and being able to see the plays unfold and ultimately break down.

The guy that gave us the most trouble, imo, was Jurrell Casey (99) a 2nd year player out of USC. He is only about 6'1" and a shade over 300, but he plays low and strong with excellent quickness. Seemed to me he doesn't particularly like getting blocked. He's a rising star in the league and is considered their best run defender.

The other guys in their rotation were rookie Mike Martin (67) who is almost identical in size to Casey and will be a good one in time, Sen'Derrick Marks (94) and Karl Klug (97), who plays a lot of DE as well and is a pretty active 2nd year guy.

Not a particularly big group of interior DLs and I would have expected more success running inside zones against them, but the stats told the story. Sometimes size is overrated.

The other guys in their rotation were rookie Mike Martin (67) who is almost identical in size to Casey and will be a good one in time, Sen'Derrick Marks (94) and Karl Klug (97), who plays a lot of DE as well and is a pretty active 2nd year guy.

Marks was inactive with a knee injury.

You da man, AWTE. This early in the AM though my head hurts. But, I'll have a 2nd go at this after I have had my Monavie.

I took a look at the Outside Zones Josh called up to the end of the 3rd Quarter. Some were outstanding; others were not.

Outside Zone blocking is easily distinguishable from the Inside Zone scheme. Where IZ works on vertical combination blocks, OZ works on horizontal combinations. Where the RB is reading an inside combo on IZ, he's reading the TE (or ghost TE) spot on OZ. His footwork is different with his landmark being on or outside the TE alignment. If they get a seal on the edge, the ball carrier takes it outside. If they don't get a seal, he cuts it under.

Uncovered blockers are trying to overtake the next down defensive lineman to their play side. They often look like they are pulling as they try to gain ground horizontally to over take the DL. They read the next DL off the snap to be ready to pick-up any slants.

Covered linemen work to the outside number of the DL covering them up. Their foot work and hand placement depend on defensive alignment. If the DL plays it straight, the blocker should gain leverage and let him go for the next blocker to pick-up. On IZ, the two blockers work to get movement together on one individual, which is most often not the case on OZ.

The Pats ran eight OZs during the first three quarters with two of them being of the 2 back variety.

Josh went with an OZ on his third play call on 3rd & 1 at 7:43 of the First. As you can see, the Titans are concerned here with the QB Sneak (rightfully so) aligning in a double 2i look and leaving their C Gaps exposed. Brady (who could check to the sneak if it was there) sticks with the call for a big gain.

The second pic shows Mankind ans Solder working together. Mankins wants to overtake the DL who had been aligned on Solder's inside shoulder thereby releasing Solder to the next level. Gronk is already on the second level due to the Titan's alignment.

As can clearly be seen, Gronk and Solder get to the next level clean while Hernandez keeps the running lane open on the edge putting Ridley one on one with the safety who he abused. This is very good execution.

The second OZ was a 1st & 10 call at 4:05 of the First. Ridley had no gain on the play. Pre-snap, we see AHern, Gronk & Vollmer working the edge with Connolly and Wendell working from the 2 Tech to the backer. A 2 Tech in a single gap scheme usually indicates that a slant is coming which is what we get here. Connolly does the right thing leaving the slant to Wendell who is alert to it and picks it up. Where this play gets in trouble is on the second level. You can clearly see the slant in the second pic which send Connolly right to the second level trying to seal off the backer. Meanwhile Ridley's eyes are on the DE to make his read. Vollmer is prepared to work his outside Gap while eyeballing the backer who would be his man if he fills.

The third pick shows that backer flowing over the top. Ahern releases, Gronk will pass the DE to Vollmer when he releases to pick-up the backer flowing over the top. The read tells Ridley to cut up because no seal has taken place. They are trying to keep open a cut-back lane for him. This play is beautifully blocked except for Connolly on the second level. After the Slant freed him up, it looks like he climbed too fast losing his relationship with the ball giving the backer an under neath lane to exploit which is what shut this play down. The backer was able to get under Connolly with time to spare to make the tackle at the LOS. The read and the cut back lane are clearly defined in pic 4 (as is the sight of Connolly's LB filling the lane). It also appears that Ridley may have cut this up a bit too soon. He needs to get right up into Vollmer's feet before cutting back. This might have helped him get under the free backer (and also helps blockers who have to drive their men past the hole if they failed to get a seal.

Back