Patriots trade for Cooks

Great read HS.

I didn't know he had as much confidence and drive as that. Reminds me a lot of Steve Smith. Without the whole punching teammates faces thing.

One concern: the Spanos ties and his contract status.

If the mother has pictures of her 5 kids and Brandin you can imagine the ties are strong. If he goes on to have a couple more seasons at pace I can envision SD making him the highest paid WR. I don't think BB would match. So the ride could be great, albeit brief.

Many draft scouts were comparing him to Steve Smith as I mentioned in my scouting report on Cooks. I didn't see it at the time bc Cooks couldn't catch vs extreme contact like Smith. After reading the Grantland piece that HS posted I can certainly see the same streak of focus and determination.

The main thrust of the article for me, is the clarity with which it answers the essential question: What does BFB see in the kid. He has Belichick written all over him.
:thumb:

Simply can't wait. Been living for 5 weeks in the afterglow. Time to look ahead, if it's even possible, with even higher expectations.

Cheers, BostonTim

One concern: the Spanos ties and his contract status.

If the mother has pictures of her 5 kids and Brandin you can imagine the ties are strong. If he goes on to have a couple more seasons at pace I can envision SD making him the highest paid WR. I don't think BB would match. So the ride could be great, albeit brief.

Err, think you meant LA. But, if Cooks is still as motivated as he looks in article I see him loving his time in NE.

Things that stood out in the article that TFB will appreciate is his attention to running precise routes and his interest in complete preparation.

Mike R. says pick 118 now belongs to the NFL so it can't be traded. Goodell

That's not how I read the punishment letter but the NFL has apparently confirmed that publicly.

Makes me wonder why BB would include the 118th pick in the trade...
I can see them taking our assigned pick, but how the hell can they take away a pick they didn't give us?

I can see them taking our assigned pick, but how the hell can they take away a pick they didn't give us?

The punishment was for the highest fourth rounder pick the Patriots had rights too. It was the same language used when they took last years first. Goodell did not want the Patriots trading up and having a first earlier like what happened in 2008 when he got huge shit from the owners and press.

The punishment was for the highest fourth rounder pick the Patriots had rights too. It was the same language used when they took last years first. Goodell did not want the Patriots trading up and having a first earlier like what happened in 2008 when he got huge shit from the owners and press.

So if BB gets a fourth rounder from the Browns (#108) does he lose that pick and then get #118 back from Goodell?

So if BB gets a fourth rounder from the Browns (#108) does he lose that pick and then get #118 back from Goodell?

I would have to say yes.

I'm surprised that BB can't trade that pick at some point prior to the draft but that falls back on the plenipotentiary powers granted Goodell by the Reich's Chancellory.

I would have to say yes.

I'm surprised that BB can't trade that pick at some point prior to the draft but that falls back on the plenipotentiary powers granted Goodell by the Reich's Chancellory.

Love the imagery that invokes, lol!

The answer is "yes", the Pats have to give up the highest 4th they acquire. The NFL clarified that 5-6 days ago on the transaction wire when we gained 118. "The Patriots forfeit pick #118 immediately unless and until a higher 4th round pick is acquired." 118 cannot be traded unless a higher 4th rnd pick...

Love the imagery that invokes, lol!

The answer is "yes", the Pats have to give up the highest 4th they acquire. The NFL clarified that 5-6 days ago on the transaction wire when we gained 118. "The Patriots forfeit pick #118 immediately unless and until a higher 4th round pick is acquired." 118 cannot be traded unless a higher 4th rnd pick...

Major F up then.

Why acquire a 4th?

Would've been better getting a 5th and 6th.

Major F up then.

Why acquire a 4th?

Would've been better getting a 5th and 6th.

Don't you think BB planned to trade that for lower picks?

Think Goodell grabbed the #118 before Bill traded that for lower picks. Jumping in to get that #118 was just more nasty from the NFL.

We should not be so overly worried about this. BB has 6 or 7 late round Draft picks this draft. He most often does very well with them.

Back