Pats/Bengals Anyone know who holds the Tie Breaker?

Marginmn

Reaction score
I didn't think Cincy had what it took to beat SD before today's terrible news. Now it looks like Cincy will lose at least one more game while the Pats should win out.

If they finish with the same record who gets the higher seed?

Thanks,

My question is why would Chris Henry Dying have anything to do with them not winning? Yea its a huge loss for them, but he was already on IR for them for the season. There are emotional aspects to it. but I think that this would be motivation for them to win out and win the SB for him. We all know what happened to Brett Favre after his father died and the performance he put on the week after. But yes Conference is the first tie breaker.

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

If Cincy loses one and the Pats win out their overall records and conf records will be the same.

Considering how strongly motivated the Bengals became after the loss of the wife of their DC, I'm sure they will not use Henry's tragic death to sulk, but rather come out blazing and dedicate these last games to his memory.

SD is playing at home and will be favorites in that game. Cincy has no passing game since they lost Henry to IR and I just dont see them getting up to beat SD.

If NE wins out and Cincy only loses to SD their records will be the same, 11 - 5, as will be their conf records, 8 - 4, as will be their record against common opponents, 3 - 2.

SD is playing at home and will be favorites in that game. Cincy has no passing game since they lost Henry to IR and I just dont see them getting up to beat SD.

If NE wins out and Cincy only loses to SD their records will be the same, 11 - 5, as will be their conf records, 8 - 4, as will be their record against common opponents, 3 - 2.

So if you are accurate, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then the next tie-breaker is strength of victory. Now, what does that mean exactly? I found out!

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_strengthofvi.htm

Thanks for the info, I thought it might be the number of points a team won by.

Yeah, Bengals have 3 conf losses right now to Pats 4 losses. So if they both finish 11-5, it will be a tie in conf record.

But if cincy loses to SD this week they have 4 conference losses.

Who has the tie breaker between you guys and Cincinnati?

Help me out, I really would prefer you guys have to go out to San Diego for the divisional round.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=52450

Discussed in length.

If they end the season with the same records it would come down to Strength of Victory. I haven't taken time to do the math but I would assume the Pats wins have come against teams with a better winning % considering many of Cincy's Ws came against teams the likes of Cleveland, KC, Oakland, and Detroit.

Back