Police respond to gunshots at Seau's home

I see the point you're making here, I'm just not sure if it applies to football. Because in football the protective equipment (the helmet) is more often than not also the striking object as well.

I'm really starting to be of the opinion that the hard shell helmets are causing more problems than they're solving.

I am also beginning to think this. One of the areas where Football differs from other violent collision sports, such as Rugby, is that guys can lead with the head at great speed and get up afterwards. Try doing that when you're not wearing a helmet. Head to head contact happens in the scrum in Rugby, but it's a gradual thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nascar/blo...ichael-waltrip-running-tribute-to-junior-seau

eye-on-nascar-header.jpg
<map name="header_home"> <area shape="rect" coords="0,0,959,50" alt="Blog Home" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nascar/blog/eye-on-nascar"> </map> Bloggers:

Subscribe:

<header> Posted: <time pubdate="" datetime="2012-05-04T21:37:39Z">5:37 pm May 04, 2012</time>
Michael Waltrip running tribute to Junior Seau

By Pete Pistone | NASCAR Blogger
</header>
ALDM121050415_large.jpg

(Waltrip's No. 55 at Talladega - AP Photo)

Michael Waltrip will carry a tribute to the late NFL star Junior Seau in Sunday's Aaron's 499.

The MWR No. 55 Toyota driver was a fan of the All-Pro player and touched by his death reportedly by suicide earlier this week. Waltrip happened to be in San Diego when news of Seau's death was reported.

That's awesome...I hope he wins.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1230...ior-seau-tragedy-as-opportunity-to-learn.html

Let’s use Junior Seau tragedy as opportunity to learn

By BRANDON MARSHALL Special to the Sun-Times May 5, 2012 6:06PM

Junior Seau might not have known how to seek help before his suicide. | Getty Images

Updated: May 6, 2012 2:43AM

‘Wow! Wait? What? Junior Seau was shot? How? Why? They’re saying suicide?’’
Question after question went through my head after I heard the tragic news Wednesday.
Immediately, my heart began to hurt. What I felt was a deep pain, a deep compassion for this situation beyond Junior, his kids, his family, his teammates and his friends.
There are many people out there who are suffering and have nowhere to turn for help or are afraid because of the stigmas placed on mental health.
As I began to meditate more on Junior’s death, I began to think about this vicious cycle our world is in. The word ‘‘validate’’ started to run through my mind.
The cycle starts when we are young boys and girls. Let me illustrate it for you:
Li’l Johnny is outside playing and falls. His dad tells him to get up and be strong, to stop crying because men don’t cry.
So even from the age of 2,
our belief system begins to form this picture. We are teaching our boys not to show weakness or share any feelings or emotions, other than to be strong and tough.
Is that ‘‘validating’’?
What do we do when Li’l Susie falls? We say: ‘‘It’s OK. I’m here. Let me pick you up.’’
That’s very validating, and it’s teaching our girls that expressing emotions is OK.
We wonder why it’s so hard to bridge the communication gap between men and women.
This presented itself clearly when I was going through group therapy and was the only man in my groups. Better yet, I was there for three months, and there was only one other guy in the program.
In therapy, I learned how to express my emotions and talk about my problems, then apply it to my real life. I had to work through my entire belief system, train myself how to think, not what to think, and let go of the things that had me in bondage.
I had to bridge the gap. It wasn’t going to do it on its own. It’s a cycle.
Can you imagine how this presents itself even more so in football players?
Junior Seau, Kenny McKinley, Dave Duerson, Brandon Marshall, etc. I am the only one in that group who is living because I got help before it was too late.
In sports, those who show they are hurt or have mental weakness or pain are told: ‘‘You’re not tough. You’re not a man. That’s not how the players before you did it.’’
Someone like Junior Seau.
So your perception of a man or player gets distorted.
Focusing more on this issue, we see more and more professionals doing research on the brain and head trauma in retired athletes. I respect their science and their research on CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and how they think it might be associated with depression and dementia, but we can’t recognize CTE until the autopsy.
We can, however, start today by treating the living. Treatments that helped me — but that I think we all can benefit from — are dialectical behavior therapy and metallization therapy.
Looking at the situation with Seau and other cases with retired athletes, I think our focus should be more on why the transition seems to be so hard after football.
As athletes, we go through life getting praised and worshipped and making a lot of money. Our worlds and everything in them — spouses, kids, family, religion and friends — revolve around us. We create a world where our sport is our life and makes us who we are.
When the game is taken away from us or when we stop playing, the shock of not hearing the praise or receiving the big bucks often turns out to be devastating. The blueprint I am creating for myself will help not only other athletes, it will help suffering people all over.
We must break the cycle, and that starts with prayer and by seeking help. By understanding the pain,
we can replace the hurt
with love.

Brandon Marshall is a wide receiver for the Bears.

I don't understand how Brandon Marshall relates to the article. He's been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder - nothing "concussion-related" like the rest of the players mentioned.

Weird.

Damn. So depressing to hear this. Remember seeing him at SC completely dominating. NFL commish needs to do something about all this. Surely we have the tech to help prevent this or maybe put some rules in play?

I don't understand how Brandon Marshall relates to the article. He's been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder - nothing "concussion-related" like the rest of the players mentioned.

Weird.

We don't know...yet...whether CTE was an underlying cause of Seau's depression.

Who knows? it might turn out that Brandon Marshall's disorder could be caused by CTE as well. Maybe he'll donate his brain to the study when he dies.

Even when depression and other disorders are caused by physical brain damage, is it still possible for these guys to be benefit by treatment and therapy? We'd all like to hope so.

The NFL needs to make sure that all the former players have access to the best possible help for whatever problems resulted from their playing careers.

We don't know...yet...whether CTE was an underlying cause of Seau's depression.

Who knows? it might turn out that Brandon Marshall's disorder could be caused by CTE as well. Maybe he'll donate his brain to the study when he dies.

Even when depression and other disorders are caused by physical brain damage, is it still possible for these guys to be benefit by treatment and therapy? We'd all like to hope so.

The NFL needs to make sure that all the former players have access to the best possible help for whatever problems resulted from their playing careers.

We don't.

My point was, Brandon Marshall's Borderline Personality Disorder really shouldn't be lumped together with all the other players mentioned.

Mainly because it manifested itself long before any concussions (if Marshall, as a WR, has ever had any, that is) ever happened.

In other words, Marshall would have Borderline Personality Disorder if he were playing football, bagging groceries, or competing in beauty contests.

We don't.

My point was, Brandon Marshall's Borderline Personality Disorder really shouldn't be lumped together with all the other players mentioned.

Mainly because it manifested itself long before any concussions (if Marshall, as a WR, has ever had any, that is) ever happened.

In other words, Marshall would have Borderline Personality Disorder if he were playing football, bagging groceries, or competing in beauty contests.

You realize that CTE can occur even when no concussions have been diagnosed

Any violent collision...even if it's not directly to the head..may impart enough force for the brain to be bounced against the inside of the skull.

Even wide receivers experience far more of these types of hits than 99% of the population. For most of us, how many times in our lives do we experience anything comparable being driven to the turf by an NFL LB or safety?

It's probably going to take a long time, and a lot of brains to study, before they really know the extent of the problem. No doubt a lot of these guys (especially WRs) are somewhat crazy to begin with. So any speculation on whether or not their disorders have anything to do with CTE is just speculation. At least until their brains can be examined.

What I got from Marshall's article was more that players shouldn't feel it's unmanly to get help if they have mental/emotional problems. That obviously applies to Junior in that way. :shrug:

Ross on Seau. His memorial is today. Rodney is a speaker I believe.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ize-favorite-seau-with-stories-of-respect-awe

<header> <time class="storydate"><time class="storydate">Thursday May 10, 2012 - 8:36 PM</time></time>

Ross to eulogize favorite Seau with stories of respect, awe

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

</header>

<table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="640"> <tbody><tr> <td width="640">
</td> <td width="15">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="640"> Former Chargers coach Bobby Ross remains one of Junior Seau's greatest fans. (Getty Images) </td> <td width="15">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Years ago an old friend of Bobby Ross told the former coach what people want to hear at funerals and memorial services, and it's that old friend who's speaking to Ross now.
"Tell the stories," Ross keeps hearing him say. "Don't let people forget."
So Bobby Ross will tell the stories of linebacker Junior Seau at Friday's "Celebration of Life" at Qualcomm Stadium. He'll tell how he first met the guy, how passionate Seau was about playing and practicing, how he would sometimes ask Ross if he could deliver pre-game speeches and how he always, always gave all that he had.
<table style="width: 300px; height: 218px;" class="data mRight10 fLeft"><tbody> <tr class="title"><td>
</td></tr> <tr class="subtitle"><td>
</td></tr> <tr class="row1" valign="top"><td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table> "What I remember most is his love for the game," said Ross, "like no player I've ever coached at any level. I can remember post-game when he'd be so tired and so exhausted they'd have to cut his jersey off. He was so tired and had expended himself so much he couldn't raise his arms.
"A lot of people have asked what his best game was, and it's hard to say because he was as consistent as you'd want a guy to be. He never really had a bad game in my time there."
Ross coached the Chargers from 1992-96 and in 1994 led the club to its only Super Bowl appearance. His teams won their division twice and made the playoffs three times, and, yeah, it had something to do with quarterback Stan Humphries and running back Natrone Means, but mostly it had something to do with Junior Seau.
There was not a better player on the team.
It's that guy Ross will extol Friday when he gives a five-minute address to what is expected to be an overflow audience. Admission is free, and the Chargers say they're expecting a crowd of 50,000, but if you understand the hold Seau had on the city and its fans you know that estimate is conservative. There will thousands more, with Seau admirers waiting on speakers like Ross to tell them the stories they want to hear.
Like this.
"One of the really significant things about Junior," said Ross, "was his consistency. In season, we'd have weigh-ins every Thursday, and, if I recall correctly, there was one time in all the five years I was there where Junior weighed less than 255 pounds. He was always 255 right on the dot. Only there was one day where he was 251 or something like that. The guy was remarkably consistent."
Or this.
"What he's done in the city of San Diego is very, very evident -- with the money he raised from the [Junior Seau] golf tournament for the young kids in the city. I mean, there were times during Christmas time he would actually take kids with him and buy them gifts. Then, I didn't know this when I was there, but after a ballgame he'd go over to his restaurant and meet and greet people.
"I never saw him not upbeat. The only time I ever really saw him in any way down was when he missed one game for us, and that was in Indianapolis (1992). He'd been having trouble with a stinger the whole season, and we were afraid to play him. He took a warmup, felt good and said he could play. But we didn't let him. But he got over it and was just as animated on the sideline not playing as he was playing. Just a tremendous, tremendous human being."
Or even this.
"He loved to go to practice," said Ross. "He would be out there catching punts every day before practice, and I'd blow the whistle to start, and he'd come up to me and say, 'You know, coach, I can return punts.' And I said, 'Yeah, I know you could. But I'm not going to let you.'
"He could do anything. I personally think he was one of the five greatest players who ever played the game. I mean, there are a lot of great linebackers and there are a lot great defensive linemen and offensive linemen, but, after I left, they played Junior some at tight end. And if they played him there full time he would have been an All-Pro.
"I remember once when there was a game where we were short of 'D-linemen', and I asked him if he would play there. 'No question,' he said. 'Yes, sir. You want me to start practicing there today?' He could've been an All-Pro defensive lineman, too.
"Those are the things that stand out when I think about him. I think about his passion, his upbeat personality and his leadership. Some people lead by what they say, some by what they do. He led by both. He would say it, but he could back it up with how he played. "
Ross hadn't seen Seau since appearing at his golf tournament several years ago, but he heard from him in the past two weeks after Ross, unable to attend this year's tournament, sent a contribution to Seau's Foundation. It was a form letter addressed to Ross, but at the bottom was Seau's signature.
"And then," said Ross, "on the side was written a little note that said, 'Love, you, coach.' That was typical of Junior. Always a smile and always a passion for everything he did. He was a coach's dream. I consider it a privilege to have had an opportunity to work with him."

Love that "brown" story & the Raider one too.

Rodney pulled out of speaking saying he wasn't ready to handle speaking about Junior in that type of forum yet. I'm concerned for him, seems very unlike him. There's a story in SI this week on Junior (he's on the cover) and there are a few quotes from Rodney in there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198341/index.htm

Rodney pulled out of speaking saying he wasn't ready to handle speaking about Junior in that type of forum yet. I'm concerned for him, seems very unlike him. There's a story in SI this week on Junior (he's on the cover) and there are a few quotes from Rodney in there.

Rodney was the first person I thought of when I heard about Junior. I'm concerned, too.

That was quite an event; a real tribute to a much-loved man.

I'm with you guys. We have to reach our somehow to Rodney Harrison. I'm not sure how. Pray? Maybe. But Rodney might need 24-hour care right now. I hope he has a good woman, or good friends to take care of him.

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=9&c=2&cid=1186867&nid=5798542&fhn=1

Low Blow: Seau's Home Burglarized
by TSX of PatriotsInsider.com, May 16, 2012 at 1:16 am ET

Junior Seau Profile

Seau's house burglarized 5 days after his suicide

The Oceanside, Calif., home of former NFL star Junior Seau was burglarized last week, five days after Seau committed suicide inside the house, police said, according to the North County Times.

According to the Times' report, someone entered the home's garage by force in mid-afternoon on May 7. The person went through cabinets and took a bicycle valued at about $500 that belonged to a friend of Seau's.

The bike seemed to be the only item taken, and the intruder did not enter other parts of the house.

Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest May 2 in a spare bedroom of his house.

There's always someone looking to benefit from someone else's misfortune.

Junior Seau Profile

The Oceanside, Calif., home of former NFL star Junior Seau was burglarized last week, five days after Seau committed suicide inside the house, police said, according to the North County Times.

According to the Times' report, someone entered the home's garage by force in mid-afternoon on May 7. The person went through cabinets and took a bicycle valued at about $500 that belonged to a friend of Seau's.

The bike seemed to be the only item taken, and the intruder did not enter other parts of the house.

Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest May 2 in a spare bedroom of his house.

Yup, just like the pickpockets at airplane crash sites.

I'm with you guys. We have to reach our somehow to Rodney Harrison. I'm not sure how. Pray? Maybe. But Rodney might need 24-hour care right now. I hope he has a good woman, or good friends to take care of him.

Personal messages can be sent to Rodney via this site:

www.rodneyharrison37.com

Use the "contact us" page.

I can verify the Rodney personally reads all messages sent to him.

And yes, he is having a very tough time with this. I'm sure messages of support from Patriots Nation will be greatly appreciated.

Personal messages can be sent to Rodney via this site:

www.rodneyharrison37.com

Use the "contact us" page.

I can verify the Rodney personally reads all messages sent to him.

And yes, he is having a very tough time with this. I'm sure messages of support from Patriots Nation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Den-in-NH. I sent him an e-mail expressing our interest in how he is doing, just to let him know we care about him.

Junior Seau Profile

unreal.....i was told one time that there are people who do this for a living...sit around and read newspapers/web to see who just died.....don't know if its true but geesh.....:shake:

Back