Post Game Thoughts Thread

mooseontheloose

See, moose love the Pats too!
Reaction score
Man, where to start.

1. After having won 5 and especially after coming back from 28-3, I have to say the idea of losing this game doesn't bother me as much as those Giants games. But HOW we lost that game definitely does.

2. I appreciate what Josh has done here but I'm happy he's leaving. For the life of me I couldn't understand WTF he was doing in the first half. He nearly single-handedly squandered multiple TDs with truly awful RZ playcalling.

Then he was pretty good near the end of the 2nd Q and into most of the 2nd half. Until the very end.

His playcalling on that last drive was fucking terrible. Philly was giving the offense 10+ yards of cushion with 1 min on the clock, yet Brady is standing there looking for routes downfield. Gronk was WIDE open on one of them too. Instead of taking the easy first downs with tons of clock, he wastes them and finally gets the first on 4th down but wastes a shitload of clock because Danny caught it inbounds. After all that he has a chance to toss 2 bombs into the EZ and instead wastes a play with a sideline throw for ~10 yards. Fuck McD.

3. Brady was phenomenal and at least that's one silver lining. Probably the best losing QB performance is SB history. If not for McD handcuffing him at times I don't think Philly would have stopped him all night. His turnover was a killer but honestly the game was ENTIRELY on his shoulders. And that's what happens when you fuck around for an entire half and spot a good team another lead - ANY mistakes the rest of the way can end the game.

4. STs was uncharacteristically bad. Coverage on KOs was not good and every time they ran it out I winced because their were many close calls. Ghost was shit although his 4 points missed didn't end up mattering.

5. Similar to above, the D was AWFUL the entire game. Honestly, the Pats got outcoached hardcore in this game. Especially on defense. HT adjustments were basically non-existent and the only 'victory' in the 2nd half was holding to that FG. Philly converted so many crucial 3rd downs that could have drastically changed the outcome. I was Matty P replaced with someone interested in building an aggressive defense and I hope BB spends time improving that front 7. Although the D clamped down against SEA, ATL, JAX, etc. when needed, it still played like shit for parts of those games and gave up yards consistently. You can't give up tons of yards and rely on 'bend don't break' forever without getting burned by a team that converts its chances.

6. I stopped reading this thread at HT so I don't know what the sentiment here was... but IMO that first reviewed TD was fucking butchered. I have NO idea how they didn't overturn that, especially given how they've called the catch rules all season long. He clearly lost control of the ball and went OB before getting it back. No issue with the second one - clearly a runner.

Overall I guess it'll be easier to deal with this loss than the NYG games because of what's happened since. Brady had an amazing game and did everything you could ask of him, but got pretty much zero help from the D. I'm beginning to wonder what BB is doing with his game preps, because it's basically a foregone conclusion that this team will be outcoached and outplayed in first halves again good teams. What hurts most about this game is that the Pats were right there. It was theirs for the taking. And they choked and threw away so many glorious chances to put pressure on the Eagles. They got behind AGAIN and finally ran into a team that was ready to keep them behind.

So ya. Impressive season from Tom and the team, no doubt. The consistency they've maintained is nothing short of amazing and they were one full possession away from probably tying/winning it. Grats to the Eagles because they played a great game, especially on offense.

Alright, time to go be depressed and ignore the football world for a while. Fuck.

Bottom line, the Pats defense sucked more than Philly's defense. As expected, Philly's defense was highly overrated and 33 pts should have been more than enough.

BB needs to completely rebuild the defense. He's going to have to invest in the front 7.

Will we ever get an explanation about Malcolm Butler?

Are we finally seeing the end of the run?

I'll be interested in hearing why Malcolm Butler didn't play, he must have really pissed off BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two bad officiating calls/non-calls hurt (gave them 14 pts instead of 6), but the defense put themselves in a bad spot to begin with. At least that should put to rest that the officiating favors the Pats.

Give credit to Pederson for being aggressive all game long. He didn't play to lose like so many other coaches do.

Philly's o-line dominated our front 7. We need more talent on defense. Good coaching got us there, but the talent gap was just too big.

I agree that this loss doesn't bother me nearly as much as some others.

BB needs to upgrade a lot of positions.

The kicker sucks ass. He needs to GTFO. 4 points by that POS.

Defense? What defense?

Can’t disagree with much of that.

Def doesn’t hurt as much as the other losses, particularly as the Pats just got out-coached, out-played and out-fought.

Famous last words, but I will not lament JMcD leaving. The 15 minute period at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd where he went full ‘10 year-old playing Madden’ was blood-boiling.

Matt P I have more time for, but there’s no escaping the extent to which his D got torched all night and for much of the year. The D tonight could best be characterised as Tackling Optional.

Will be interesting to see how both get on without BB and with organisations that do not have NE’s culture.

Congratulations to the Eagles. Played better on the night and deserved their victory.

I keep typing things and deleting because I'm so angry with this team.

The defense showed their true colors again. They can put that Bend-don't-Break bullshit to rest. We just let Nick Foles get the MVP of the Super Bowl.

McDaniels can eat Irsay's dick in Indianapolis. His play calling is just...fuck.

Is Ghost's leg done? He kept kicking it short on kick-offs? Was that intentional?

Fuck this defense. Nick Foles. Just no excuse.

FUCK this defense. Let's see how many more mediocre players we can get to form a pass rush.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Belichik swinging his dick at the wrong time again.

Bottom line, the Pats defense sucked more than Philly's defense. As expected, Philly's defense was highly overrated and 33 pts should have been more than enough.

BB needs to completely rebuild the defense. He's going to have to invest in the front 7.

Are we finally seeing the end of the run?

To be honest, this is one of the first playoff losses where the offense outperformed its season average and the defense underperformed. In losses, it's typically been the offense that didn't show up.

The front 7 just lacks so much talent and the secondary didn't play well enough tonight given it's supposed to be the strength. Philly WRs were ready to play. Roberts and Richards are awful.

And it's not just personnel. For years BB and/or Matty P have had a particular approach to the D that many of us hate, but they finally managed to win some SBs with it so we figured 'meh it worked'. But doesn't work when the other team executes.

Need some major improvements to personnel AND coaching philosophy IMO.

Also, I assume Butler's not back. Unless he was sick/hurt, why would he resign with a team that sat him during a SB in which his defense was shredded all night long?

BB said Butler not playing was a non-disciplinary matter.

Weird.

I do think at times we should have kept Jones and Collins. Our D just has a lack of talent in the front 7. Especially with Hightower out.

Give credit to Pederson for being aggressive all game long. He didn't play to lose like so many other coaches do.

At some point we knew that was going to happen. It was going to be costly. I would have hoped the Patriots were expecting that.

Damnit...another winnable Super Bowl lost.

The Butler situation us bizarre. Eric Rowe said he didn't know he was starting until right before the game. He seemed as puzzled as rest of NE as to why Butler didn't start according to reporters.

At some point we knew that was going to happen. It was going to be costly. I would have hoped the Patriots were expecting that.

Damnit...another winnable Super Bowl lost.

Right. And this loss was different from the NYG games.

This loss followed the same script as the BAL/SEA games in 2014, ATL last year and JAX this year.

Play like pussies in the first half, squandering chances to take leads and giving up big plays to be down multiple scores at half. It's like BB relies on being Gandalf with HT adjustments or something, which bailed them out (along with Brady) in the games above. But you can't just rely on playing passively and giving up leads for halves of games to try to come back later on. Eventually a good team will keep executing in the second half and you'll end up with tonight's game - always one step behind because of first half blunders.

Even if the D sucked like it did, McD not blowing dick and converting just ONE of those TDs changes the game. Ghost not missing 4 points. D having literally NO ability to get a timely stop. Remove any of those and the Pats likely win the game. With all of them, it was just too much to overcome.

The coaches lost this game. BB greatest strength is his greatest weakness, Buler should have been playing. If he's bad enough to get benched in the super bowl he should have been benched or cut months ago. McDaniels called an awful game, and cooks going down was an underrated big loss. Good riddance. We didn't see it this game but usually it's him sending white out if shotgu up the middlen into the teeth of a strong front 7 to get stuffed. What a shame wasting this opportunity agai st a backup. Fowles looked like a hall of famer. Brady been bailing out this defense, and playcalling for years. It caught up today. Josh McDaniels is incredibly overrated. Have fun Indy........ this ones on the coaches.

It may not have mattered in the finals score but the missed kicks were big momentum changers. Gave philly hope and energy

Definitely fine with McD leaving. Will be interesting to see what he can do without Brady bailing him out.

Matty P I'm not sure about. Can't be sure how much blame he deserves and how much goes to BB (as coach and/or GM).

This team just wasn't ready to play tonight and got owned by Nick Foles.

Was that illegal formation on the Foles TD? If so, why wasn't it called?

Brady played like TFB+ one of his best, for sure.

Not playing Butler really shook up the defense, I believe.

Back